1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question for Catholics

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JohnDeereFan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, are there any Catholics who will share the Gospel with me? Or are you all so callous that you'd rather see me go to Hell than be bothered?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

JDF - It seems like these can't be bothered to answer a post but they feel they need to post something so they post insults. That's sad.

You asked a very straightforward question and there's yet to be a post with the answer.

3. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

I'm USING Holy Scripture as my guide to lead one TO Christ! I'm using ACTS 2 as my example, since the multitudes asked St. Peter the SAME question as did you.

I'm NOT telling you to go read a verse to be saved...I'm telling you that I'M going to use the same exact model as did St. Peter did in Acts 2, to lead someone to Christ...It's clear as a bell, in black and white...St. Peter preached the Gospel to them, and when they ask what they must do...I'm NOT going to tell them to repeat a formulated prayer, I'm going to tell them the EXACT same thing as St. Peter did!!!!

Why is it so hard for you to understand????

I know what you're hitting for and you want an Evangelical Romans Road, what if you die today, would you go to heaven response.

But I'm taking the St. Peters Acts 2 example as my approach, since it's biblical. I'm sorry if you don't like it...

In XC
    -

4. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

And he got a straightforward answer....

so annsni, me using the exact same method as did St. Paul in Acts 2 to lead someone to Christ isn't acceptable?

Do you have a problem with HOW St. Peter lead a multitude of people to Christ?

In XC
    -

5. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, that's exactly what you told me and then, when I questioned you further, you made the snide comment, "Did you read Acts 2:38? Do you even own a Bible?"

If you're going to, then why not do so now?

Why not present the Gospel to me like Peter presented the Gospel?

But you're not doing that. You're not telling me anything, other than to go read Acts 2:38.

No, I'm not "hitting" for anything. I just want to find a Catholic who knows what the Gospel is and can present it to a lost person.

Actually, you're not taking Peter's example because Peter actually took the time to present the Gospel to them. You're refusing to present the Gospel.

6. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They can't present the Gospel because they don't know the Gospel and their religion doesn't have the Gospel.

If you want to see this in action, go to Catholic.com sometime and click on their "evangelization" forum.

Literally every single thread there is about recruiting people into the Catholic church or keeping people from leaving the Catholic Church. Not one thread there about the Gospel or about actual, Biblical evangelism.

They can't even evangelize in an evangelism forum.

7. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem isn't with Peter, but with your refusal to follow Peter's example.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You were asked how would you do it - not where do you get directions on how to do it.

9. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

and WHY can't I use Holy Scripture as my guide to lead someone to Christ again? Do you use Holy Scripture to lead people to Christ at your church?

In XC
    -

10. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Ok...JDK, seems you like playing games, so let's play...

you say in your post #14 that I already know who Christ is...

With that and please correct me if I'm assuming wrong, but I'm going to assume that since your fictional person "knows" who Christ is...he's aware that Christ is the Son of God, who died for the sins of the world and rose from the dead defeating death by death.

So now, you want to know...LIKE those in Acts 2, how to be saved...(assuming you are sincere, and not some argumentive atheist that just wants to argue and question and NOT really concerned about salvation in the least)...

I will then tell you...(1) Repent of your sins, (2) be baptized and (3) receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

If your fictional person has an issue w/ what "repent" means, we can discuss how sin is like a cancer to our soul and how when we sin (miss the mark) we offend God and thus we need to seek His forgiveness and "repenting" simply mean confessing to God your sin and turning from your sin and put a sincere effort not to repeat that sin again and if you do, God is just and will forgive you. To repent means to change our mind about how we have been, turning from our sin and committing ourselves to Christ.

If your fictional person has an issue with baptism, I will point out the numerous examples the NT has regarding water baptism and the connection this covenant has with circumcision in the OT. To be baptized means to be born again by being joined into union with Christ.

If your fictional person has an issue with no. 3...receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit, once again we'll review Acts 19:1-12 and Acts 8. To receive the gift of the Holy Spirit means to receive the Spirit who empowers us to enter a new life in Christ, be nurtured in the Church, and be con¬formed to God's image.

BUT at the end of the day, all this is window dressing, b/c Salvation demands faith in Jesus Christ. People cannot save themselves by their own good works. Salvation is "faith working through love." It is an ongoing, lifelong process. Salvation is past tense in that, through the death and Resurrection of Christ, we have been saved. It is present tense, for we must also be being saved by our active participation through faith in our union with Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. Salvation is also future tense, for we must yet be saved at His glorious Second Coming.

Hope that helps...

in XC
    -

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do. I use many Scriptures. But the question is not a list of Scriptures but how do you give the gospel to others?

See, you're telling us you make cupcakes by looking at the back of the box but that's not the answer. The answer would be that I mix the cake mix, oil, egg and whatever other ingredients there are in a bowl and beat it until smooth. I then fill the greased cupcake pan 3/4 full with the batter and bake at 22 minutes until a cake tester is done. Understand?

12. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Perhaps folks should define the Gospel?

I asked my kids last night this question (which I have asked dozens of times) during story time. I got the usual blank stares...lol

So..what is the Gospel?

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

1 Corinthians 15

1Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

But perhaps the person you are evangelizing doesn't. Maybe he is a Muslim or a Hindu. We don't assume anything in evangelization.
    Such concepts need to be explained. The unsaved person doesn't understand these things. Why did Christ die for my sins? How did his death atone for my sins? What is the significance of his resurrection?
    Yes, we want to know how to be saved. Quoting one verse of Scripture doesn't cut it. Like the interaction between the Ethiopian Eunuch and Philip: "And Phiiip preached unto him Jesus." That was after the Ethiopian Eunuch said: "How can I know except some one guide me."
    What sins should I repent of? How many of them? What is repentance?
    Why be baptized? What does baptism have to do with getting saved?
    How do I receive the gift of the Holy Spirit? How will I know when I have it? Will I feel any different?
    If I sin again and I don't have a chance to confess that sin (have a heart attack) will I still be saved? Will I still go to heaven?
    Even I don't see any connection with baptism to circumcision. One is under the law; the other is a command by Christ. The two are totally unrelated. Baptism has nothing to do with being born again. If all you had to do to be born again would be baptized then wouldn't the Hindus be born again; they baptize. Mormons also baptize. So do the J.W.'s. How does one equate baptism with being born again?
    Acts is a historical book; a book of transition. Can you show the same truths out of the epistles, books that teach the doctrines of the church? The Oneness Pentecostal (a cult) cannot. How do you receive the Holy Spirit in a practical way? How does a person know when they have received the Holy Spirit? Will that person feel any different? Will they have any proof that they have received the Holy Spirit? Can it be demonstrated?
    Your not kidding!! Most religions are all window dressing and nothing else but. There is no salvation, no gospel, nothing but window dressing.
    This is the one truth; the one gold nugget that you have said all day.
    This contradicts the previous statement that you just made. If salvation is by faith in Christ without good works, then why are you saying it is ongoing, a lifelong process? Do you think one can go through their life sinless? If not, then one must be saved by their good works. The two statements contradict each other.
    That is true.
    No that is sanctification. Sanctification is a process that the believer goes through during his life. He can't lose his salvation. But throughout his life he is continually sanctified through the work of the Holy Spirit.
    You used the word "glorious." And hence it is called "our glorification."
    Salvation happens but once. It is a one-time event.

15. ReformedBaptist

Amen. That's where we turned to last night as a family.

16. targus

targus New Member

I've heard Catholics use that same arguement for the teaching authority of their church.

Also that seems to be an arguement against Sola Scriptura. You seem to be saying that Scripture alone is not sufficient and that we need other people to tell us what Scripture means.

17. ReformedBaptist

My .02 is that it is not an argument against Sola Scriptura. What it is however, is an example of God's ordained method of saving those who believe...through the preaching of the Word of God.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

1 Corinthians 2:14 makes it clear: "The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned."

One who does not have the Holy Spirit DOES need the Scriptures explained. But a believer has the Spirit in them to guide them in all truth.

19. targus

targus New Member

Ok - but not everyone who thinks that they are saved believes the same truth.

How are the unsaved to sort out one person's truth from another person's truth?

Scripture - yes?

Then why should they need someone to tell them what Scripture says in the first place?

Is Scripture sufficient or not?

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The Ethiopian was reading Isaiah; he did not have the news about Jesus. He asked what the passage in Isaiah was referring to and Philip told him and he believed and was saved.

This is not an example of needing something other than scripture; it's an example of someone being saved by the gospel. We now have the gospel in scripture but it was veiled in the OT although OT saints were saved by faith. All the Ethiopian had was that passage because the NT was not yet written. The NT speaks of "mysteries" in the OT, which were teachings that were not fully revealed until Jesus came.