1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question For KJVO'ers

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Samuel Owen

Samuel Owen New Member

Well since we presently live, in a Burger King world. Have it your way, it does no harm to me.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above is not exactly a well-reasoned response to my post.Can't you do better than that?

3. Samuel Owen

Samuel Owen New Member

No!, I have seen the NLT, and it is still a translation of independent thought. It follows no certain text, good or bad. It is a paraphrase not a Bible.

Its the same as when I quote a scripture, and say this is not exactly the way it goes, but comes close. That is a Paraphrase.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What in the world does that mean?

If you are speaking of the New Testament they followed the Greek New Testament (UBS,fourth revised edition,1993) and Novum Testamentum Graece (NA,27th edition,1993).

A paraphrase does not disqualify a Bible from being a Bible.But the NLTse is not a paraphrase.It uses a functionally-equivalent method of translation for the most part -- but it is quite literal more times than one would expect.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Is there no B/K in Seoul?? Horrors! :tear:

Ed

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I had a couple of couple of hours last night (St Stephen's Day) when the rest of the family was busy so I snuck on :)

#68 NaasPreacher (C4K), Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008
  9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I get a bang out of all the argument and find that not one person has mentioned the rather obvious. You cannot translate without interpretation. There is not one translation that is 100% faithful to the original language. There are several words which will never be able to be translated into English. There are idioms in the original language that make no sense to an English speaker.

Furthermore to accurately translate, one must also translate use the use of common and poor grammar, and the high level grammar of Paul in the NT and convey the same use of common and high level of English. One must also translate the Hebrew expressions which were expressed in Greek much the same way a person would write as if English were their second language. Hebrew does not have a word for wife as we do in English. It is written as the woman of a man's name of the woman of a man. Yet we never read that in an English Bible.

So the idea of translating the original languages and being tied to the source language simply does not exist. Even in the KJV there is a lot of dynamic equivalence.

#69 gb93433, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008
  10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

How is it you know this and relate your ideal to us who speak English and you do that in English? Please explain these idioms and untranslatable words.

Then tell us how you understand them and yet speak English?

Can we see all the versions you have accurately translated?

Yet in the KJB we have no disharmony in the context!:godisgood: That cannot be said about those versions you "like" other than the KJB.

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Sneaky little "sinner" aren't you! as opposed to the religious tradition to observe a dead man's day!:laugh:

12. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salamander: Yet in the KJB we have no disharmony in the context! That cannot be said about those versions you "like" other than the KJB.

WRONG!

Try Acts 12:4 & 1 Tim. 6:10 for starters.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sometimes it is tough and at other times impossible. Words that do not translate have no meaning in our language. It would be like translating the words, "You know ey?" into another language. When I went to Finland I used the phrase, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." The couple I was with just looked at me strangely because they did not know what I meant. Translating idioms requires an excellent knowledge of what the idiom meant then in that context and to try and give a dynamic equivalence meaning to it today.

A good example of an idiom in the NT would be in 1 Jn 3:17, “his bowels from him” "Bowels from him" would have no meaning to us unless we knew what the meaning of that idiomatic expression meant.