1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question for Primitive Baptists on Predestination

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by J.D., Jul 15, 2011.

?
  1. I believe in the absolute predestination of all things.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. I do not believe in te absolute predestination of all things.

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Totally agree:thumbs:

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just now seen the thread. No, I do not hold to hard determinism, but definitely believe in providence . That word 'predestinate' in the KJB NT is used only 4 times, and that only in reference to God choosing a people for his own possession. At the same time I look back on my own life in awe at the way He has preserved and delivered and taught and carried me along the way; it pains my brain to try and harmonize all that with 'time and chance', or with 'my own lusts' that can cause me so much grief. 'Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.'

#22 kyredneck, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  3. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello pinoy! Long time no see. Yes, I know of a couple individuals who are 'absolutists', but no entire congregations.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, long time no see.
    I have been avoiding coming to this board, given the subtle and open hostility of some posters to the Doctrine of Grace and to Calvinists, and then turning around and calling their objects of hostility as hostile and unChristian, talk about being subtle. lol.
    in fairness, though, I've seen only 1 of them post in "Do You Really Love the Brethren" ?

5. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may already be aware of this, but one of those absolutist brothers on a couple of occasions passed along hard copies of a publication called The Predestinarian to me, and I enjoyed them. The articles are deeply spiritual (or what I remember of the impression of the ones I read).

http://www.mountzionpbc.org/books/Predestination Articles.htm

#25 kyredneck, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes its lack of understanding my brothers that erupts in these arguments. Bottom line is if these who we see as opponents are in fact fellow believers; well we should seek to understand them, not necessarily agree with them.

Now isn't it interesting that the only 3 individuals that I'm aware of on BB who claim to be PB's are NOT hard determinists & all 3 agree on the interpretation of "Predestination" as about the Elect & not about things. I believe that revelation was quite shocking to some (including the Hard Determinist Calvinist). :thumbs:

7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that doesn't necessarily mean we're right. The bottom line with me personally is that I can't comprehend it, and I don't worry about it. I could never know His mind. I do know that my Father is sovereign, and that He loves me. I acknowlege that our hard determinist brothers could largely be right. It just doesn't matter enough to me to delve into it that deeply. I've gone about as far in as I want to go.