1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Question for those who use modern translations.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Jordan Kurecki, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In reality you are going against all reason.
    Quite untrue IJ. Before the 16th century the knowledge of Greek and Hebrew was rather very low. There have been undeniable advances in both languages since 16th and 17th centuries. They KJV revisers struggled with some passages because they honestly didn't have the knowledge of the original languages as biblical scholars do today.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As time goes by you might see your "friend" in a different light B4L.

3. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is the primary sense of the word. It doesn't just mean words that are not written in poetic form.
    You are on a joy ride of some sort. You said the English language has "devolved" and I said it is developing --as all languages do with the passage of time.
    Words change meaning over time. It is undeniable. You can't stop it. It is not necessarily a bad thing.

Well,TSE wasn't even a Christian,so I don't believe that is worth much. And we are talking about today --not decades ago.

5. Inspector Javert

....o.k...

6. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm one of those oddballs who uses both the KJV and modern translations.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Inspector, you didn't answer my question. Have you been here before under another name? It's not a hard question, unless you want to avoid the truth.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So do I. Many others on BB do also, contrary to what the "inspector" thinks.

9. Inspector Javert

I consult numerous translations as well (contrary to what you think)..

I am also passably well-versed in the original Hebrew when I read the Old Testament.

So, I often like to read the Masoretic Hebrew and compare with KJV, Young's Literal (sometimes NASV) ...which you adore so much.etc......

I have no problem with that.

If you understand anything about the whole "KJVO-THINGY"....you would understand that it essentially boils down only to the "Textual Criticism" issues of New Testament manuscripts only (which is why I choose to study Hebrew and not Greek).

10. Inspector Javert

Sure...why not?

Have the Moderators ban my profile if you want. I don't care. I'm sure that will prove you "right" about everything you post wouldn't it?

11. Inspector Javert

Most people do.
    You aren't an "odd-ball" on that account.

12. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me too. But after using the KJV almost exclusively for the past 40 years (and some NKJV) I'm pretty much going with the NIV now.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No, but it proves you're not honest about everything you post.

14. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since KJV-only advocates do not present any consistent, logical, sound, scriptural case for a KJV-only theory, do they try to excuse or justify their non-scriptural KJV-only opinions by attacking or misrepresenting believers who disagree with those opinions?

15. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's one thing that annoys me. I find that both sides some measure of posturing and accusing the other side, though. To the same extent? Probably not.
    To the church I grew up in, any church, speaker, preacher, or book that uses any version other than the KJV is apostate and not to be trusted, the epitome of deceit, run don't walk away. That kind of talk annoyed the crap out of me. I had seen plenty of material from those who used other versions and it rang true to my spirit whether at the time I agreed with the version they were using or not. (I used to be KJO.)

On the other hand, when I began researching the issue, I found plenty of articles that concentrated on bashing the KJO side more than I cared for. I wanted facts, not an exchange of ad hominems.

#75 evenifigoalone, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013
  16. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJV-only advocates seem to want to misrepresent and attack those who attempt objectively to present facts and documented evidence.

Facts have been presented about the many changes and revisions that the KJV made to the pre-1611 English Bibles of which the KJV was a revision. The makers of the KJV made many of the same type changes to the pre-1611 English Bibles as later translators make to the KJV. A few of those changes introduced in the KJV were even made for questionable reasons such as to favor the divine right of kings view of King James I and to favor the Episcopal church government view of the Church of England.

Facts have been presented about the actual errors that were found in the 1611 edition of the KJV. Facts have been presented about the errors in the 1769 Oxford edition of the KJV. Facts have been presented that document some of the hundreds of differences and variations in the many varying editions of the KJV.

KJV-only advocates seem to want to claim incorrectly that posting established facts and documented evidence is supposedly slandering the KJV.

17. Inspector Javert

It proves you are reaching....and you've got nothing.

Like, if I am running against Chris Christie for political office and I simply call him "fat" because I've got nothing else.. That's what it proves.

18. Inspector Javert

It has not been demonstrated otherwise.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's just say that honesty is not your strong suit JI (or rather HoS).

20. Inspector Javert

What lie have I told???? Do tell? Or are you slandering for no reason?

Because, that's what it sounds like you are doing. Point out what lie I told, and I'll admit to it...

I await.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.