1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question - mind helping?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Sularis, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Sularis

Sularis Member

What is this significance that God is Spirit?

I mean He is - but why is that important?

Im taking a course - professor appears to have some slightly whacky views traducianist (transmission of soul to baby from parents) and calvinist - I've written an essay on why God is Spirit - but I cant answer the question why its important. I truly dont see the importance of this issue

2. russell55

russell55 New Member

One thing I can think of right of the bat is that if God had a body, then he would have a beginning. Bodies are material and anything material has a beginning in time.

Another thing: If God had a body, he would be made up of parts (not simple) and anything made of parts has the possibility of change.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's important that God is a spirit when you deal with idolators who believe their god has a physical body. God being a spirit separates Him from the great mass of Buddhist, Shinto and other idols in Japan. :type:

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

IMO
    1. We are created in the image of God and this helps us understand we are not just cosmic space dust conglomerated into a living mass of tissue by chance. But that we are lovingly and gloriously made to have the potential enjoy a relationship with God.

2. Who we respond, re-act, and correspond with God centers on this aspect of God. (God is Spirit and they who worship must worship Him in spirit and in truth)

3. As stated already by others this aspect of God is not limited by time or space.

4. It deals directly with how God works through us: Holiness, justification, sactification, glorification, and impartation of heir-ship or son-ship.

These are just a few off the top of my head. Hope it helps :thumbsup:

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree, it explains God's existance. It also explains his omni-presence for if he were physical he would be limited somewhat to one place at a time.

This takes us to the physical attributes of God. The hands, arms etc... that are spoke of in scripture.

Isaiah 52:10 The LORD hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.

This verse I like to preach as, "When God rolls up his sleeves."

#5 LeBuick, Dec 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2006
  6. Allan

Allan Active Member

I like that :thumbsup: :laugh: Mind if I use it at times?

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Go for it, we have the same message sender... My anology is when a man rolls up his sleeves he is about to get serious and messy. God got tired of his people being pushed around and said, "all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God."

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great post! :thumbs:

9. skypair

skypair Active Member

Sularis, here's my view -- in eternity past, God divided Himself into 3 beings. Why? 1John 3:8b tells us that it was on account of the fall of Satan.

God cannot deal with sin and so He must be seated in heaven until all things are brought into subjection to Him, 1Cor 15:28-29. Then His kingdom will come (like we been praying for in the Lord's Prayer all these many centuries) to New Earth, we saints ALL in NJ. ALL will be perfection! At that point, He will revert to One Being Himself -- be "all in all" -- at which time we will see something that no one ever has, His face! (Rev 22:4)

skypair

10. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Russel and John get the prize, for these are the important reasons. God cannot be limited, and he cannot have a beginning. Anything with a body has parts, and parts must be put together, and can come apart.

As for God being spirit, and transduciansim, there is an excellent discussion of both of these in Geisler's Systematic Theology. God's nature is in Vol. 2, and the origin of the soul is in Vol. 3........where he gives the biblical support, philosophical support, discusses transducianism, and every other possible viewpointj. He discusses the support and criticism of each view (note this: each view is discussed, with support and criticism), and responds to all major objections. Then he has several pages of quotes from church fathers and historical theologians that show their view.

As for God dividing himself into three beings, WHOA. This is significant, and not in a good direction. If God has parts, he must have been put together, and anything put together had to have a beginning. There are many, many verses that speak of God being one, a unity in every sense of the word.

11. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, one of the problems with God creating the soul at birth is that he would have to be creating a sinner.......transducianism eliminates this. But I'm still studying all this........

12. skypair

skypair Active Member

Ha-ha! :laugh: He WAS together -- not "put together." He wasn't "created," friend. He always WAS.

Think about this (I forgot to include). God said in Genesis "Let us (plural) make man in our (plural) own image (singular). What "image" is there of God if He is 3 Persons/Entities/Beings? Would He make man like His spirit? or like His body? What?

But how about if God had once been One Being (like we are) with 3 divisible natures -- soul, spirit, and body? And what if OUR natures were divisible, say the spirit could be divided from the body by death, for instance? Has God then made us in His One image and in His one divisible image? Sure.

I find the people that wrestle with this have a remote sense of what God's plan in creation but have not delved into the complete revelation He gives.

skypair

13. skypair

skypair Active Member

What's "transducianism?"

But I disagree with the premise anyway. The soul is not born a sinner. It has the predisposition to sin called "sin nature" but as yet has not exercised it to produce sin for which he/she is guilty (cf. Isa 18:20). :love2:

skypair

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

I see what if's, and how about's but no scriptural basis for anyone much less you to come to any such conclusion. You have take one verse and concocted via postulation a doctrine of one God being divided, until He is one again.

So there is a reason people wrestle with this and never delving into it. It has no scriptural basis wherewith to delve as it is all assumeption and postulation. The verse you even use tells nothing of what you infer to it. So even that is stripped. All I see left on at least this point Skypair is you have a belief based entirely on imagination and personal conjecture with no scripture to support any of it.

Not wanting to cast stones but if the window doesn't fit then it is only good for target practice.

Now if you can show scripture that supports contextually your contention, I have no problem replacing your window. :thumbs:

15. Sularis

Sularis Member

Thanx

I appreciate the answers - its given me some thought

I actually have a different viewpoint on the origin of the soul - I kind of favour the Jewish concept of the Soul repository - I cant spell it so Im not going to type its name - as to traducianism's belief regarding the soul - Jesus would have been a sinner because he would have gotten part of mary's soul as part of the source material. But lets say God does create the soul from "scratch" for each person let's say - I dont believe the soul is corrupt - I believe God makes a perfect soul - but the curse of Adam infects our body and spirit.

I see the body as a computer, the spirit as the OS and the soul as the operator. Thus the soul can be created by God pure and holy and over time corrupted and damned - this also allows for the age of accountability

16. skypair

skypair Active Member

Allan, Allan -- go back to page 1. There are at least 4 scriptures involved in this hypothesis. Give me a little credit, will you??

skypair

17. skypair

skypair Active Member

And to me, that's pretty good theology, sularis! Body - hardware. Spirit - OS. Soul - directs the processes. Either the programmer is oriented toward God or toward self. Is that what you are saying?

Thanks for the explanation of traducianism. :D We agree on that, too. Each soul is a "new creation."

skypair

18. Allan

Allan Active Member

Sorry Skypair I looked through the thread twice after reading this post and THEN noticed you had done so, sorry.

I'll have to look at the verse and see if they play out but I am publically giving you back your credit for accusing you of not doing what you actually did.