1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question on Colleges??? what you think of these?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Koontzy, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Koontzy

Koontzy New Member

I consider myself a Independant baptist.... and want to attend a college that focuses on the Bible... I looked into Liberty, but dont like what they offer....I am wanting to get a Bachelor of Theology...

I did find a couple places

http://www.sats.edu.za/index_new.html (South African Theological Seminary)
    and
    http://www.thefishersofmenministries.com/Undergraduate.htm

what you think of these? Do you have any to offer???? what colleges would you recommend?thx

I dont know how much the one in Africa costs..... but if you do know I would like to.

I am currently attending USC, and have used up my finanical aid for the year I think...hopefully I can start soon and somehow get some money to continue college....

thanks

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SATS is a legitimate option.

I'd stay away from the other.

As an aside...does anyone catch the Baptist Board logo on the second site?

It looks like someone just whited over the BAPTIST BOARD part.

3. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

If you do not mind crazy rules, I would recommend Maranatha Baptist Bible College. I guarantee that you will get good biblical training there. Maranatha is the only school I could speak for but I'm sure the rest of the "Fav Five" have solid programs.

Northland
    Pillsbury
    Clearwater
    BJU

4. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was the issue with liberty?

BTW, the nomenclature "Bachelor of Theology" is very, very, very uncommon in America. Most places will have a BA in Theology or Religion.

5. Koontzy

Koontzy New Member

Liberty only offers a B.S in Religion for distance Ed.
    Not really an issue, except for I have talked with a few people that have went there for there B.A(I think it was a BA) in biblical studies... and they dont really know smack about the bible..

I want to make sure I get the best solid bible teaching I can ya know:)

I also see that Liberty has alot of non bible degrees, so I am hoping they dont focus alot on those and not on the bible...but I havent ever went there....
    If Liberty is solid bible teaching, then I will consider it, but its expensive, and I have used up my federal aid for this year, but want ot start in the summer.... what do I do???

thanks

#5 Koontzy, Feb 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
  6. Koontzy

Koontzy New Member

also I will be doing either online, or distance ed:)

thx

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you're doing the program online, it won't really matter what other degrees are offered. I took a few online classes through LU at the master's level, and I thought they were challenging and biblical.

Bear in mind: programs can't ensure biblical knowledge. Even the best programs have people that don't put enough effort into their studies. You can graduate usually with a C average.

8. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Accreditation is the buzz word around here and I hate to bring it up. But if you are serious about graduating from USC or a similar type of school then you really should focus on accredited schools like Liberty and others.

Of course I am the board's resident LU honk. :thumbs:

9. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Koontzy Response

Koontzy,

You need to get Bill Grover in on this discussion. He is a doctoral tutor for SATS.

He is very good man and apt scholar. He can answer your questions.

FYI!

10. UZThD

UZThD New Member

re SATS

===

Thankyou for the promotion Rhet:wavey: While I am supervisting some MTh students, I do not as yet have a ThD (DTh) student. One is possibly in the works, ; he is the principal of a Bible college in Africa but cannot at this time afford the tuition.

While the SATS MTh and DTh may be done wholly by research theses, the Bth is done by coursework. Up to a month ago, I did not know the rigor of these courses ; now I think I do.

While the courses increase in difficulty, the goal is that upper division courses are equivalent in expectations with our MDiv level courses.

A month ago Kevin , VP at SATS ,asked me to revise the 4th year Romans Course. He sent me guidelines. The material of the course , if my will is done, consists of a "reader." In the reader electronically are about 20 selections from expository commentaries, theological journals, systematic theologies and so forth. Hardcopy textbooks are not required. Two subjective exams and a 20 page paper are required,.

I warrant that ,in general ,the upper division SATS BTh course requirements are equivalent in rigor to my experience in the RA/ATS accredited Western Seminary (Portland, Or) MDiv coursework, the M.A. (in Religion) RA accredited Point Loma Nazarene University, and the 50-60 units of work I did in grad Teacher Education at the RA accredited Univ of San Diego and Oregon State. Each of the faculty at SATS, if I remember rightly, has an accredited doctorate in the area of instruction.

There is excellent interaction between students and/or faculty and administration in the SATS system. Tuition is modest compared to some U.S. schools. Faculty members must sign their agreement, at least I had to, with the SATS belief system which include both basic Christians doctrines and some ethical positions on current societal issues as well. I don't think students are required to do that.

I recommend the South African Theological Seminary to those looking for a quality distance education program which offers accredited undergrad and graduate degrees.

#10 UZThD, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  11. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

The fishersofmenministries ref goes to Trinity of India. Trinity has put together a program out of mostly public domain materieals and references. There is plenty of work to do and lots of material to cover but I think it's like going to Bible college in 1910.

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your looking at distance learning or modular grad programs I's second the Maranatha recommendation and add International Baptist college of Tempe AZ to the list.

By a BTh do you mean a MA(Bible) or an MDiv? IIRC the BTh was a five year degree that was more than a BA but short of a MA or MDiv.

13. UZThD

UZThD New Member

==

Hi Squire:

Forgive me if you are not alluding to my reference to the SATS ThB (BTh). I also have the 5th year ThB.

But the SATS ThB is a four year program . Parts of it are equated , by me, to the level of some MDiv courses because the SATS Bth. is ALL in Bible/Theology/ Ministry --NO secular courses! . As you know, many enter the MDiv with secular BAs and do , perhaps,a total of about 50 sem units in actual Bib/Theol. studies. The SATS BTh grad will have exceeded that amount by a considerable margin.

Then the two year SATS research MTh (like our MA), then, builds on four years of rigorous Bible / THeology in the Bth . That's six years of pure Bib/Theol/ministry study. And that is the SATS prereq to enter doc work. I would expect the SATS DTh to require another three years. My Unizul D.Th took about 3 1/2 years and I got a running start by first doing a USA ThM , after the MDiv work, and much coursework, before the UZ research, in my topic.

#13 UZThD, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  14. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I was referring to the BThs awarded back in the 60s and before. Th OP sounds like he has (or is well on the way to having) the secular education for a bachelors. Hence my remarkes

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'll merely say that the Th.B. Degree can run the gamut, depending on who is awarding this degree, and/or what are it's prerequisites. It can be anything from roughly equivalent of a glorified associate's or two-year degree, to a B.A. (or B. Bible) or it's equivalent, to having more stringent requirements than some Master's.

Caveat Emptor!

Ed

16. Koontzy

Koontzy New Member

I looked on SATS website, but they dont really list a price for the Bachelor of Theology....anyone know how much it costs?

thx

17. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

government grants

In order to get a grant or federal money I think you also need to be sure the schools you are looking at are accredited.

18. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ones I suggested are accredited and have been for a few years.

19. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

suggest you email Dr Smith

[email protected]