1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question on re-installing windows

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Gina B, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm about to do it on my old computer. I'm assuming that it's going to wipe out everything I've ever downloaded that was saved to Windows programs, is that right or wrong? Is there a way to do it and it magically only repairs the stuff wrong or resets it?
    Gina

2. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

I'd go ahead and assume your hard drive will be wiped, and save on CD copies of everything you want to keep. And a list of every extra you added like freeware to reinstall.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whoa, Gina. I've erased a lot of disks in my time, and it's always painful. Why the urge to purge?

A Windows re-install might work, or re-installing an application. What's the problem?

4. David Mark

David Mark New Member

On some occasions, we used to re-install Windows 95 or Windows 98 "over itself" (so to speak). That is, we would run the original setup like an upgrade even though it was not an upgrade. This only affects the operating system and can "fix" something that is broken in the OS. The setup wont change other installed applications. Word processing applications, games, accounting software or any other thing like that will not be overwritten by and upgrade or re-install of the OS.

If you re-install Windows 98 "over itself" and you had IE 6 installed, you will have to re-install IE6 also, because IE is so grafted into the Microsoft operating system.

With Windows NT or Windows 2000, we would also have to re-install any service packs. For example if you are running Windows 2000 or NT and you reinstall the OS, setup takes the system back to the original version and any services packs, IE or patches must be re-installed also.

A re-install is good to consider, before the last resort of erasing the disk and starting from scratch.

Dave. [​IMG]

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm sick of messing with it is why I'm gonna redo it, but now there's a new problem!
    It won't detect the mouse. I can't move the cursor with the keyboard although I had it set up so it should, but it just makes a clicky sound when I try. The problem ain't the mouse either, tried installing a new one.
    So now I can't do anything because I can't figure out how to click on anything! The only thing I can get to work is bringing up the start menu, but then what? The arrows won't work either so once I GET into where I want to be I can't highlight where I need to be, and I'm not sure where that is anyhow.
    Gina