1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question on Remarriage after Divorce.

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mommietosadie, Jun 24, 2005.

1. mommietosadie

mommietosadie New Member

In a divorce there is always fault on both sides. I was hungry for attention and begged him to spend more time with me. I was not a perfect wife as I should have been. I was not completely subordinate to him as I should have been. But I obeyed God and stayed faithful and loved him all thru our marriage.

Catherine

2. Faithful*One

Faithful*One New Member

This is a little different post. My husband has had several affairs in the past. He is currently living for the Lord and we are members of a conservative Baptist Church. Because of these affairs, would this disqualify him for the position of deacon?

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "This is a little different post. My husband has had several affairs in the past. He is currently living for the Lord and we are members of a conservative Baptist Church. Because of these affairs, would this disqualify him for the position of deacon? "

It should, especially if known to the church. That is not to say that after a time of corrected Christian living that he shouldn't be considered.

And no, I don't know how long that should be [​IMG]

4. Faithful*One

Faithful*One New Member

In my heart I know that he has repented of these sins and is a completely changed individual. I know that he has a sincere desire to serve the Lord. I felt that in a church we were in previously (that had knowledge of these sins)that he was not being used because of it. There didn't seem to be any forgiveness from those who who knew about it. He had forgiveness from the Lord, and well isn't a sin a sin, no matter what it is? Why is it easier to forgive someone, say a person that has been an embezzler vs an adulterer?

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Yes. He is disqualified. Scripture is quite clear on who may and may not serve. It would be your husband's place to remove his name from the list for nomination. He doesn't need to give a reason.

My husband was an ordained deacon in several churches in our 35 years of marriage. Our only daughter got pregnant outside of marriage and Jim resigned his deaconship because he was 'not in control' of our household. That's been almost 11 years.
    Diane

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "My husband was an ordained deacon in several churches in our 35 years of marriage. Our only daughter got pregnant outside of marriage and Jim resigned his deaconship because he was 'not in control' of our household. That's been almost 11 years."

Not second guessing your situation, I most likely would have done the same but not sure he wasn't in control as he should have been, he can't control decisions made elsewhere though we wish we could at times. Have seen some kids that were raised quite rightly that made some stupid decisions.