1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured QUESTION RE: The Rapture?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Mar 15, 2012.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please explain how we can call this event (the return of Jesus, i.e., I Thess. 4:16-17) the rapture, when the word "rapture" (describing this event, that is) does not appear in Scripture?

And yes, this is open to debate (Amy) :thumbs: so please have at. I am truly interested in what you believe and how you can use this non-existent word to describe an event as important as this will be!

#1 righteousdude2, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  2. RustySword

RustySword Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm at work without my Greek or Latin stuff, but IIRC the word "rapture" is actually taken from the Latin Vulgate, somewhere in 1 Corinthians 15, and does have to do with being taken up.

The word IS in Scripture, just not in English. The question is not IF there is a "rapture," but WHAT it is and WHEN it is.

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

there are basically 2 opinions on this:

1. The "rapture" (taking up of the saints) will coincide with Jesus' return.

2. The "rapture" will be a separate, prior even to Jesus 2nd coming.

4. govteach51

govteach51 New Member

Would I like to think there will be a Pre-Trib rapture? Yes. Do I think there will be a Pre-Trib rapture? No.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ( RD2, May I get that thread back on the OP?)

The same way we believe in the Trinity, even though the word is never in scripture.

According to this dictionary rapture simply means to be transported from one one place to another.

So I suppose you could say that NASA raptured the astronauts to the moon.

6. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can call it what ever you want but the term in question is an english word to describe in one word an event that is believers being caught up to meet their Lord in the air. 1 Thess 4:13-17

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Thessalonians 4
    16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
    17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
    18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.​

The Greek word for caught up is the future tense of harpazo.
    Here is another scripture use of the word:

2 Corinthians 12
    2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth such an one caught up to the third heaven.
    3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth
    4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.​

Supposedly the word known today as "rapture" was taken from the Latin Vulgate by a Jesuit priest named Francisco Ribera who published futurist articles.

Latin Vulgate
    2 Corinthians 12:2 scio hominem in Christo ante annos quattuordecim sive in corpore nescio sive extra corpus nescio Deus scit raptum eiusmodi usque ad tertium caelum

1 Thessalonians 4:17 deinde nos qui vivimus qui relinquimur simul rapiemur cum illis in nubibus obviam Domino in aera et sic semper cum Domino erimus.​

If the phrase "the rature" is not to your liking and you want to be scriptural via the original language you can use "the harpazo" instead.

HankD

#7 HankD, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  8. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

believe that the term rapture was found in latin Vulgate, as it is" snatched away" per greek...

Many would say that refers to a rapture, just we disagree on timing, as some see it distinct from second coming, others same event!

IF we stuck to just using terms in bible for doctrine, could not see eitherbible/Trinity in scriptures as used for terms!

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some dispensationalist (e.g. J Vernon Mcgee) see the Second Coming of Christ as a two phase proposition starting with the Rapture (the snatching away of the Church) and ending with His "appearing" 7 years later (post tribulation-pre-millennium) in which "every eye shall see Him".

Order of events:

The Rature (harpazo - remove the Church).
    The Tribulation (to judge the world - oikoumene).
    The Millennium (1000 year reign of Christ).

I did hear one Mcgee sermon which included the Millennium in "The day of the Lord".

The above not without difficulties and with lots of detail variations.

HankD

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Rapture is completely in the Bible. Particularly in the Greek the word harpadzo means to "catch up, or catch away." It is used to describe when Paul was taken up to heaven and correlates with the OT descriptions of what happens to Enoch and Elijah.

I don't understand this whole complaint about something not being the Bible being a case against its worthfulness for theology. The Bible is such a different document using languages that most who make the complaint are unfamiliar with. In theology we use concepts and language which roots itself in the Bible bu finds a better expression in our terminology.

Rapture is absolutely in the Bible. To say it isn't just shows someone hasn't done their homework or knows the languages. Now, when it happens...now that is a god theological conversation.

11. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

good post!

Would add that there are dispy premils that see rapture as either pre/Mid/post timing

Historic premil see basically rapture/second same event, as would A Mils they would disgree on IF was a earthly millinual reigning after that eventor a final state ushering in!

of course, pretierist view this has already has happened!

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, some even question the target of the harpazo, possibly not heaven but some other place of protection from the wrath of God which is to come upon all the world (oikoumene as opposed to cosmos).

HankD

13. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

I really have hard time seeing a post trib rapture biblcaslly, as to hold to that, seems one has to hold Church and Isreal being same to god, and use the 10 Plagues as 'types" of greta tribulation!

mid trib is more interesting, as they would hold to church going thru wrath of man, experiencing same trials/tribulations as the church always has, but are removed/spared the Wrath of God in mid point forward being put on the earth!

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I've heard of that view as well.

HankD

15. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

So what are the scriptures talking about when mentions are made of the church not going through the tribulation?

I don't have a real firm belief on when I think the Rapture happens. I don't think it's after/at the end of the tribulation. I've always leaned for a pre-trib, but I also don't think that the Rapture automatically ushers in the tribulation either. We just know that's a 7 year period, right? There could be time between the Rapture and the tribulation?

16. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

pre tribbers hold rapture hits, then immediatly into greta tribulation

Mid s hold rapture hits Antichrist "officially" revealed

post see it essentially as second coming!

17. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Christ, Himself, said that the lost would be "raptured" out of the earth by His angels first & then the believers. There is only one Second Coming, at which time He will reap all people from the earth & then destroy & recreate the universe.

When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: (Matt 25:31-32)

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. (2Peter 3:10-13)

Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn........
    Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field. He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man; The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one; The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels. As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. (Matt 13:24-42)

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What?? Jesus never said the lost would be raptured. How did you come up with that?

19. beameup

beameup Member

I've always held that there is a "transition period" just like there was a "transition period"
    between the 2nd Chapter of Acts and the (genetic) Israelite Sect of the Nazarenes
    and
    the fall of Jerusalem in 70AD and the subsequent transition to the Gentile Church,
    the Bride of Christ, under Pauline Doctrine.

The problem is somehow accounting for the sudden "disappearance" of millions of people... unless
    they are somehow simultaneously "replaced" so it becomes unapparent and "seamless".

And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie - 2 Thes 2:11

20. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Did you not read the passage or see that "rapture" was in quotes? Believers & unbelievers will be taken out in the same manner, by angels. I am using the language of the op. Personally, I don't care what you call it. Just remember how Jesus describes it.