1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Question to consider

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by glad4mercy, Apr 24, 2018.

1. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the Law exposes/brings our sinful nature to the surface. But we are to blame when we act according to our sinful inclinations and when we do not repent and believe, not Adam. That is why we are condemned for our unbelief.

2. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bottom line: If God wants you to be in heaven with Him, you will be there. He will have His way with each one of us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So then it is His desire that the others perish and NOT come to the knowledge of the truth. That is the other side of the coin to your bottom line.

4. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to be able to defend your position from scripture, whatever it is.

The fact that any soul should spend eternity with God is a demonstration of His love and grace.

Bottom line from scripture:

[Rom 9:13-16, 18 KJV] 13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. 14 What shall we say then? [Is there] unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then [it is] not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. ... 18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will [have mercy], and whom he will he hardeneth.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God had Adam stand in for all after Him, for when he fell the test, and the Fall happened, all save Jesus were judged to now be found guilty in Adam now!

6. jeremiah1five

jeremiah1five Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is what Jesus said:

John 3:18-20 (KJV)
    18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
    19 And this is the condemnation, that light [CHRIST] is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light [CHRIST], because their deeds were evil.
    20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light [CHRIST], neither cometh to the light [CHRIST], lest his deeds should be reproved.

All men are born in darkness - even God's Elect. But they are not condemned. They were never condemned. God ever saw His Elect as saved, holy, righteous, sin-less. That's how He contemplated His Elect in His Mind in Trinity before God created anything. There is no sin in God. There is no death in God. That's the only way He can and could see His Elect. Although unbelief is sin that's not what condemned them. Their condemnation is not being one of God's Elect, not being named in the book of life of the lamb slain....

The sin of Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is not a sin of the tongue, but the life (and in the OT the "heart" referred to one's life, or the whole being of a person. It was post-Ascension and soon after that that the "heart' came to represent the proverbial heart that pumps blood - the organ.) But Jesus is not in anyone's proverbial heart. He was never there at all. So the chant of "accept Jesus into your heart" is a lie.
    It's always been about God accepting YOU.

7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe this is another Gospel, at the very least, heresy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. jeremiah1five

jeremiah1five Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Gospel" means "good news."
    There were many 'gospels' in Scripture: The Promise of Messiah (Deut. 18:15.)
    The gospel of Hannah of her child Samuel.
    The gospel of Mary that a child would be born to her who is the Promise fulfilled of Deut. 18:15.
    Paul's gospel.
    Peter's gospel.
    And on and on.
    Good news.

There are two gospels in relation to what Paul said in Galatians from which the mis-application is constantly used:
    THIS IS the application:

Galatians 1:6-9 (KJV)
    6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
    7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
    8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
    9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

There are two Greek words used here of which the KJV translators use only ONE English word: "another"
    [Note: this happens frequently in Scripture. Sometimes there is one Greek or Hebrew word that translators use 2, 3, or even four English words, and as here the translators use one English word to translate two Greek words.]

Galatians 1:6 (KJV)
    6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

Greek Word: ἕτερος
    Transliteration: heteros

The "gospel" in question is the religion of the "Jews" - Judaism. This is the "another" [gospel] in verse 6.
    The gospel Paul preached is identified in 1 Corinthians 15.

1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (KJV)
    3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
    4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

The word ἕτερος heteros means "another of a different kind."

Continuing....

Galatians 1:7 (KJV)

7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

Greek Word: ἄλλος
    Transliteration: allos

This "another" is the gospel Paul preached in 1 Corinthians 15.

The word ἄλλος allos means "another of the same kind."

Let's put it together:

Galatians 1:6-9 (KJV)
    6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another (ἕτερος heteros - another of a different kind) gospel:
    7 Which is not another (ἄλλος allos - another of the same kind); but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
    8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
    9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any
    man
    preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Here is a modern example: You have two Pentel pens but different model. This is ἕτερος heteros - another of a different kind.

You have two Pentel pens that are the same. This is ἄλλος allos, another of the same kind.

Nugget: "preach any other gospel" (4 English words) in verse 8 is one Greek word: εὐαγγελίζω euangelizō.

Before you throw around the word "heresy" be sure you are not holding heretical teaching yourself.

I hope this helps.

9. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me see if I understand the flow of thought here...
    You're saying that God's elect are not condemned and were never condemned.

" He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." ( John 3:18 )

I agree.

" He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." ( John 3:36 )

Again, I agree.

God EVER ( not "never" ) saw His elect as saved, holy, righteous and sinless.
    Hmmm...:Cautious

If you mean in the context of being "in Christ" from the foundation of the world, then yes, God only ever saw His elect as being saved ( Romans 8:29-30, Romans 9:22-24, Ephesians 1:3-14 ).

As only ever being holy?

Need that one laid out step by step, but I think I see it ( Colossians 3:12, Hebrews 10:1-14 ). From my perspective, this speaks of the believer's sanctification ( Romans 8:29-30, 1 Corinthians 6:11 ), which happened at the cross ( Ephesians 5:26-27, Colossians 1:21-22 ), not when they first believed.
    How about more Scripture on this one?

As only ever being righteous?
    Sure, as long as that righteousness is the imputed righteousness of Christ ( Romans 4:1-8, Romans 4:20-25, Revelation 19:8 ) and not having anything to do with any of our works ( Titus 3:4-7 ).

As sin-less?
    No.
    His elect were never sin-less, but that their sins were washed away:

" For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." ( Hebrews 8:12 )

" For this [is] my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins" ( Romans 11:25 )

" But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." ( 1 John 1:7 )

" And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." ( Revelation 7:14 )

" Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;" ( Acts 3:19 )

" As far as the east is from the west, [so] far hath he removed our transgressions from us." ( Psalms 103:12 )

It's one thing to be "vindicated" ( declared to have never sinned )...quite another to be declared righteous by the blood of His Son, and thereby restored and reconciled to God by the death of His Son.
    One is sin-less, one is sin-free.
    Believers are culpable for their sins, just as unbelievers...they were never sinless in God's eyes:

" Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
    9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
    10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
    11 in whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
    12 buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with [him] through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
    13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
    14 blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
    15 [and] having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it."
    ( Colossians 2:8-15 )

The believer's sins were blotted out...they were there and they offended God, and then He cast them away from Him because of the perfect sacrifice and atoning blood of His Son.
    We were dirty, but the blood of His son cleansed us.
    It is all we stand on under His mercy and grace.

Hopefully I'm just misunderstanding you on what you mean by "sin-less", sir.;)

Agreed.
    The non-elect are not condemned for God not choosing them to salvation ( 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14 ).
    The non-elect are condemned for their sins...The same thing that is washed away by the blood of His Son on the cross for His elect, is the same thing that was not washed away for the non-elect.

The essence of that condemnation manifests itself in not being one of God's elect, and at the Judgment, not being named in the Book of Life.
    Outwardly, it manifests itself in their ( inward ) unbelief of the Gospel and in their falling away from a faith they never had.

In addition, to me there's much more to the Gospel ( the good news of salvation ) than simply 1 Corinthians 15:1-7, which I call, the "core" of the Gospel. There are vital details which are developed in the rest of Scripture that are not stated in such a small "snippet" of what He has to tell us as His children.

However, for now I will agree that, essentially, the Gospel is what is found in that passage, and it is what God called me to Himself with in 1978.

May God bless you in your walk with Him.:)

#89 Dave G, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

Because of Adam's sin we all sin.
    ". . . Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: . . . " -- Romans 5:12.

". . . the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. . . ." -- Revelation 20:12.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God sees 2 family heads, Adam over those who were physical born only, and Jesus over those who were spiritual born again!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. We are sinners in death because of Adam. And those who believe in God's Christ have been born from God.

• Agree Agree x 1