1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question to IFBers about children and Salvation.

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by BibleMaMa, Aug 24, 2005.

1. BibleMaMa

BibleMaMa New Member

I have 4 children. We are a blended family and I was not saved until I married my husband. I had already had 2 children outside of marriage and he had one from a previous marriage and we have one together.

My older kids have accepted Christ but that is debatable. I think they were doing it to make me happy. (I'm not happy)
    My step daughter, she was about 10 at the time and she accepted Christ. I can't say weather or not I believe or disbelieve her because she lives 1500 miles from us and her mother in not saved and does not go to church.

Now to my point. My youngest is 4 going om 5 next month. He has been born to saved parents and is growing up in church. He loves church and Jesus. Lately I have been talking to him about sin and trying to teach him what sin is and what you have to do if you do sin. We start small. Like lying. I told him every time he lies or sins a black mark goes on his heart. And the only way to clean that black mark is to ask Jesus to forgive you and tell Him your sorry.
    That has been going well.
    Saturday he was sassy with me and I told him that was a sin. He told me and Jesus he was sorry. About 30 min later he came to me and asked me if Jesus can live in your heart. I told him "yes He can."
    He said he wanted Jesus to come and live in his heart. I asked if he wanted to pray to Jesus and ask Him to come in his heart. And he said yes. So we did.

Is it possible my son got saved at this point? Or do you think it was just curiosity or something else?

Opinions please........................

I told my pastors wife about this that night and she really didn't say anything, just kind of dismissed it.

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Yes, I think he could be saved and you should take this event seriously. However, I've never been a big fan of the "Jesus in my heart" verbiage, but God can certainly use it. I would make sure he understands sin, the punishment of sin, how Jesus took the punishment of our sins on the cross and that he rose again, and that if he believes this and wants to be forgiven for his sins, then he'll spend eternity in heaven with Jesus.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Also, I don't think it is too early for him to be baptized, if he can give a credible profession of faith. But that is up to your church - some churches think differently on this issue (i.e., that children should be older before they are baptized).

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I had a conversation with my six year old one night when he was being particularly disobedient. I explained to him that his disobedience was sin and that the wages of sin was death. After this fact had sunk in, he was pretty downcast. I asked him what he was going to do about it and he promised he would do better. So I explained that it didn't matter if he did better, because he already had sinned and he owed that debt. I asked him again what he was going to do and he began to cry and said he didn't know. Then I began to explain to him what Jesus did for us on the cross, and how He took that debt and paid it for us. I had to explain it a couple of times, but then he understood and got a big smile on his face. I think he understands the gospel now and I think he believes. That night a large weight was lifted off of me as well as him [​IMG]

5. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

When I deal with kids, I try to never rush the conversation. Especially if they are spiritually ignorant. It often takes some time for them to have the Spirit work on them and cause them to comprehend the Gospel.

However, since your son has grown up in a Christian home, it is very possible that he understood it to the point that he was ready to trust Christ in his heart. I would give you this advice, though- never try to tell him that you know he is saved because you remember him praying. He should know that for himself. My parents always told me I was saved at 3 years of age, but I knew I was not when I was growing up. It took me from the time I was eight to when I was fifteen to finally accept Christ in my heart. Once I did, I knew I had. "The Spirit beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God."

6. GodsAmbassador

GodsAmbassador New Member

It's possible he might be saved. My sibs and I were saved at different ages. One of my brothers was saved when he was 5, while another brother didn't get saved until he was 20. Like Dan, I was told I was saved at 3, but I remembered nothing about it, and it wasn't until I was 17 that I finally got saved (last Dec.).

7. BibleMaMa

BibleMaMa New Member

Thank you all for your responses. Dan, I tend to agree with you. I will not make a fuss over it to him. But should I talk to my pastor about it?
    I am close with his wife that is why I brought it up to her. She dismissed it but I know not intentionally.

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Are you thinking that maybe it is time for him to be baptized?

9. BibleMaMa

BibleMaMa New Member

No, I agree that at this time maybe he should not be baptized. Because I am so unsure about what happened I would like to wait and see is he really does know what he did and understand it all.

I think I am the only one making a big deal over it. I told my DH about it and he acted like he wasn't even listening, and then the pastors wife..etc..

I was just wondering if I should talk to my pastor or my sons Sunday school teacher?

Or do you all also think I am making something out of nothing?

I struggle with one of my 17 yr olds now, she denies Christ even though she said she was saved and got baptized, but she wants to go to hell. I stuggle so much that when I actually witnessed one of my kids accepting the Lord, Yes I will make a big deal out of that.

10. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

BibleMaMa,

Yes, I would talk with your pastor about it. However, I would personally keep it low key. I do not give recommendations on when a child should be baptized, as I believe that is something that has to be determined on a case-by-case basis with your child. Ideally, he should be able to tell you why he got saved and explain what happened (nothing theological, but enough so that you know that he knows). It is a decision that you should make when you as his parents believe he is ready. As for the pastor's wife dismissing it, she has probably seen a lot of kids who just "prayed a prayer". However, I would never underestimate what God can do in the heart of a young one. [​IMG]

11. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

BibleMAMA,
    Listen to what Andy T said especially, please. It is very important that you understand and your children understand..that salvation does not come through prayer. I don't know how you tell them a person is saved, but I was pastoring my second church before I truly was born again by the power of God through faith (I Peter 1:5). Up until that point I doubted every childhood experience I ever had because I was trusting a prayer.

However our Lord guides you, make sure you make faith in the work of Jesus the faith your children are aquainted with, not faith in a plan or prayer. Having 3 children of my own, I know the turmoil of wondering which of your children "got it". Just know, that God Almighty wants them saved more than you do and is able to use the seeming worthless things we do say and do to win people to Jesus.

Thanks for your time.

12. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I think it is a good idea if a kids comes up "wanting to be saved" to see if you can put it off. The night the Lord saved me I wanted only Christ. The devil and the world could have offered me everything but the Holy Spirit had arrested my heart and I was either going to get saved or die trying.

13. bapmom

bapmom New Member

BibleMama,

I think you did well! When a child comes up and asks you of his own accord about it, that means he was really thinking about about it on his own. That would be very encouraging to me.

Spoudazo, usually little kids don't have that desperate sort of conviction. They haven't lived a life of "hard" or "deep" sin, they are more open to God's calling. They don't yet know what the devil and the world has to offer.
    I would never try to put off a child who is asking how to be saved. I would always tell him how! but not push him into it or try to manipulate him in any way.

14. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I undestand what you're saying, good point.

Here is an example about a child and salvation that happened recently in our church.

There is a young kid (probably 2-3rd grade) and he went to the altar on his own. Later on the dad asked him why he went to the altar (in a kind way of course) and he said he was asking the Lord to show him if he was saved or not. Well, about 1-2 weeks later, he came crying walking with him dad down the altar and asked the Lord to save him. You should have seen it, the dad was crying, the son was crying, the mom was crying, and even their oldest son (a freshmen in highschool I think) shouted, which is out of character, but in a good way. It's amazing how the Lord works. [​IMG]

15. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Thats a wonderful testimony, Spoudazo.

I guess I was just a little concerned about the part of trying to put the child off....we want them to know we will always answer their questions ya know? especially about salvation.

But there are some wonderful testimonies from smaller children being saved. One of our daughters was 5 when she got saved, and it was right after she had been disciplined. I think if done right the discipline can end up being a very good time for them to feel the guilt of their sin and realize that they need Christ.

16. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

This is what I do when dealing with anybody, especially kids. If I can convince them to wait and they say okay, they're not ready to surrender to Christ. If I can talk them out of it, they don't want it. You have to be very careful and I wouldn't recommend using this method unless you are comfortable doing so. You must take children seriously, but be cautious. Too many s get saved when they thought they were already saved as children. Then again, I've seen s get saved two or three times and each time, they really meant it. A lot of folks associate salvation with walking the aisle and they remember that time but not surrendering to Christ.

You have to trust that the Lord really does work in people's hearts and deal with everyone as an individual.