1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question women and dresses

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by RightFromWrong, Aug 11, 2005.

1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

j_barner...at least three posts in the last two days!

Good to hear from you again, friend.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Good perspective!

Don't worry about the sweat, we all get worked up once in awhile. [​IMG]

3. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by FBCPastorswife: Just one of many issues that a lot of people just have to agree to disagree on.

We certainly can. Lets just agree that it is your preference to wear what you consider to be your best for God. There is no scriptural basis for requiring women to wear dresses or skirts all the time.

Posted by Biblemama: I also feel it is right to wear dresses/skirts etc.. Long ones that covers the knees.

Good for you. So do I. As long as we know our preferences are not bible.

Posted by Biblemama: In my church, my pastor also believes in this issue. He does not condemn the ones who sray in with pants, jeans, short skirts, sleevless etc.. but when I became a part of the ministry, I am required to wear a skirt.

I agree that when representing our church in ministry ladies should wear dresses or skirts. That is my preference.

Posted by TexasSky: Soulman, Why was your Pastor ogling your daughter anyway?

I wouldn't go that far but I do think he was overstepping his authority. A church can have preferences on how they like to do things. That is called church polity. If everyone agrees, then fine. You don't have to go there if you don't want.

However, many of us are entrenched in ministry and have been for some years. It is just not that easy to get up and go. Rules change as a church grows. It just seems to me that if a church is going to enforce a dress code and make others feel less than they are, there should be some bible to back it up.

As right as something sounds, if it aint in the bible, NO ONE should push it on anyone.

4. I live in California, probably one of the most liberal of states. In 20 years and 3 moves. I have attended 6 Baptist churches, 2 of which were IFBC, 2 Conservative and 2 Southern.

Anyway I noticed that one of the IFBC ( the first one we attended ) Didn't necessarly frown on people for not wearing suit ( for Men ) dresses ( for woman ) But it was preached about alot, along with proper music and other grey areas. It was required for women to wear dresses and men suits or shirts with ties in order to be in the ministry.

Now the second IFBC was more strick. When we questioned the pastor in our home when he came to visit about their rule on woman wearing dresses and what was expected, he would not talk about it. He would advoid the subject all he had to say was, " when a woman is Godly she will know what to do " He even got irate one wednesday night after bible study when I and others were debating the issue. It was preached about in subtle ways and those who didn't were looked down upon. Not only that it was stressed that woman must wear dresses every where they go, to show they were Godly. I have to admit the pastor was from Virgina and was to young and had alot of maturing to do.

I also noticed that when these churches got together with other IFBC all the woman wore dresses and the men shirts with ties ect.

So what do you expect me to think. Obviously this is more the norm with IFBC, along with other legalistic expectations. We are much more happy in a conservative Baptist church, both of these churches are very balanced and nonjudgmental, shared and showed Gods love without compromising.

Sorry if I offending anyone, I am just going by my experences. I sure am glad to know that there are IFBC that are not so legalisitc.

5. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I love and respect a church that will not compromise their doctrines and stand for the word of God.

Standards are important also. We just have to be careful to teach them as standards and preferences. Not bible doctrines.

6. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

USN... It is good to be back. Between pastoring, working 6 days a week and studying through Andersonville, I have been bsy. I have lurked some, but as the folks who know me know, some topics are too tempting not to speak my piece.

7. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

hello everyone! i also believe that women should dress according to the situation. i believe wearing pants is not a sin. but, someone stated earlier that pants were considered to be sexy women wear in the past. but now pants are such a norm, they can be considered modest. now these days "normal dress" is becoming very "untasteful." the future may consider this type of fashion modest. again i think pants can be worn, but where do we draw the line? fashion evolves at a rapid pace. i just hope that in the future we dont have debates whether or not women are allowed to wear bathing suits to church. what are everyone's thoughts on this?

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

California is a very large state. It really depends on where you live. I live in Orange County, which is moderately conservative. Folks tend to judge CA by Los Angeles (moderately liberal) and San Francisco (very liberal), discarding less populated regions. (Compared to SF and LA, every other region is "less populated").

9. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

anyone!? i need help because my girlfriend will be talking to her pastor's wife on this issue and she needs all the help. thanks!

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's really a no-brainer.

Scripturally, we (male and famale) are required to dress modestly. However, scripture does not define modesty. Modesty in Maui is different than modesty in the Ukraine. One can dress modestly and immodestly regardless of whether it's a dress, skirt, skorts, leggings, or toga. Requiring a woman to refrain from pants in fvor of long dresses is not scripturally supportable, and qualifies as legalistic. If a church claims to be bible believing, then it cannot enforce dresses as a scriptural mandate. However, a church does, imo, have the right to enforce traditional customs. For example, in parts of the world, wearing shoes into church would be disrespectful. Churches there require that people cast off their shows prior to entering. Many churches in the US have an "appropriate attire required" policy. A church has the right to enforce such traditions. They only stray if they claim that those customs and traditions are a scriptural mandate.

11. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

i agree John, but should the world's definition of modesty be the same as the church's? like i stated earlier, what happens if the world believes wearing a bathing suit to church is modest? should we evolve when the world does?

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Each community, imo, has the right to decide this for themselves. Each community is the world, whether the community is a church community or other community.

In Maui in June, this might well be the norm, and it's perfectly acceptible for them to do this. I myself have seen this, and no one considered it immodest at all. They should no more be required to "cover up" just because, say, your church decides they should, nor should your church decide to wear bathing suits just because they do.
    Times change. This is one of those issue where, yes, the perception of modesty changes.

13. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

hmmmmm.....i believe that we shouldnt change as the world changes. dont we preach against that? i think the "perception" of modesty should be set by us christians instead of the world. right?

14. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the standard of modesty doesn't change, then we should adopt modest A.D. 1st century clothing.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Where scripture speaks, we should speak. Where scripture is silent, we should be silent. Scripture instructs Christians to dress modestly. Scripture does not, however, tell us what the minimal guidelines for modesty are (such as, how high the hem shound be, etc).

But, let's assume your statement is correct (that the perception of modesty should be set by us christians). Which Christian gets overruled? The one in Kaanapali, Maui, or the one in Anghorage, Alaska?

16. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

hahaha....i dont think modesty changes. Fashion does.

17. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

modesty never changed. cover your bodies up! whether it be alaska or hawaii modesty is the same, fashion differs. shouldnt we reflect Christ? i dont think Christ would be wearing swimming trunks to a church service.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You're welcome to fly out to Hawaii, visit every church that meets on or near the beach, and tell them that they're not dressing in accordance with scriptural modesty.

They'll likely think you're being pharasaical, and tell you to go back to the mainland. And they're be right in doing so.

Paul says "let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or Sabbaths..." I think that can apply to judging other people by what they wear as well. If it is modest to the congregation, then let no one judge them.

19. Petrel

Petrel New Member

So ankles and wrists are verboten?

If we should set the standard, why are we allowing Muslims to beat us in the court of modesty? One would think we should endeavor to be the most modest.

I personally think that modesty varies by culture. We should dress modestly according to the culture we live in. I don't think that Adam and Eve were given head to foot fur robes by God. . . Most impractical.