1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question women and dresses

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by RightFromWrong, Aug 11, 2005.

1. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Good that you take others feelings into consideration. But, we do things for God not men.

2. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

You did nothing but prove my point. Modesty does not change. Fashion does.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

True, but if dressing up too much makes others in church feel self-conscious, uncomfortable, or out of place, then we're dressing up for ourselves, and not for God.
    I've never said anything to the contrary. Modesty does not change. Fashion changes, and what we consider modest changes. But modesty does not change.

Let me give you a similar scriptural example. We're not to use abusive languge. Yet some words we use today are considered abusive, that were not in the past, and some that were abusive in the past are not abusive today. The mandate to not use bad language does not change. However, what we consider to qualify as bad language changes. Language itself changes. But the scriptural mandate to refrain from bad language does not change.

4. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

if a group of christians were naked in hawaii worshipping on a beach, would you also come naked? again, a group of christians wherever is not my authority, God is. God deserves you being dressed the best.

5. Petrel

Petrel New Member

No one here is advocating nakedness. Everyone agrees that we need to wear at least some clothing!

6. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

bathing suits are not nakedness? especially the ones that cover the bare minimum?

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No. Bearing of genitals is an absolute that I would not cross. But, to be honest, I cannot find any scripture that requires this as a mandate. There are places in the world where a bare chest on women is not considered being naked, but a bare back is. If I were there, I would not bear my back.

As for being naked in Hawaii, they do not consider public nudity socially acceptible. So saith two coworkers of mine who used to live in Oahu. But, if, say, it were acceptible, and I were invoted to worship with them, I would ask if they mind if I keep my shirt on, because I feel uncomfortable without it. Their nudity would not make me feel unconfortable of it was the social norm.
    I own a very nice tux. Should I wear that to church? It's the best attire I've got.
    There are some exceptions, but, no, I don't consider a bathing suit "nakedness" as a rule. If, however, you're of the mindset that any bikini equates to nakedness, then we'll never see eye to eye.

When I was in Maui attending church on the beach, no one was wearing a bathing suit that the reasonable person would consider "showing nakedness". There was one girl who had a string bikini top, but it was adequately covering her breasts.

8. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

What the world deems as modest changes. We should be separate from the world.

9. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

so John, tell me....what is an example of immodest dressing?

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

True, but I believe you're misapplying the verse to define your personal view of what constitutes scriptural modesty.

11. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

but since you consider their feelings you would be naked if wearing a shirt made them feel self-conscious, uncomfortable, out of place.

12. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

so what is scriptural modesty? "you can wear whatever you want as long as your community is okay with it"????

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Immodesty is something that is offensive to sexual mores in conduct or appearance. Immodest dress is that which draws unreasonable sexual attention to the wearer. The words stems from the latin immodestus, which means "not in moderation".

The rule of what qualifies as immodest changes over time. I think the problem with society today is not that our society doesn't view some current styles as immodest, but that some in society are saying the immodesty is acceptible. In other words, dressing for the purpose of beinging unnecessary sexual attention to oneself.
    Scriptural modesty in dress is wearing attire in a manner which does not bring unreasonable sexual or otherwise immoral attention to oneself.
    Good question. If adhering to their standards of dress made me feel reasonebly uncomfortable, and if my adhering to my own standards of dress made them feel reasonably uncomfortable, then I'd likely refrain. My unconforableness does not equate to a scriptural judgement upon them, and their uncomfortableness does not equate to a scriptural judgement upon me.

14. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Well said!

15. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

bathing suits dont draw sexual attention?
    modesty does not change for the millionth time. the world is now seeing homosexuality, abortion, divorce, sex, drugs, etc. as a norm. i will not change with them.

16. Petrel

Petrel New Member

So do you wear head-to-toe robes and does your wife wear a veil?

And in my opinion there are plenty of bathing suits that don't draw sexual attention.

17. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Culture is not the authority in our decision making. God is!!! Culture should not shape modesty. Modesty should shape culture!

18. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

no. if it were our current fashion we would.

which ones are those? the ones that are made out of buffalo hide? lol

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

To the average person, the typical bathing suit does not draw sexual attention. To the average person, there are some bathing suits that do. To the person with a dirty mind, just about every bathing suit will draw sexual attention.

For the millionth time, I never said it did.
    Completely different topics. When an abortion is done to save the mother, it is permissible. When a divorce is done due to a violation of the marital covenant, it is permissible. When sex is engaged in by persons in a marital covenant, it is permissible. When drugs are used to assist in healing, they are permissible. When attire is worn that does not being unreasonable sexual attention to the wearer, it is permissible.

20. Petrel

Petrel New Member

It wasn't just a matter of fashion, in Jesus' time women wore head to toe robes because it was considered immodest to show their legs and arms.

You say that modesty does not change. If so, it should still be immodest to show one's legs and arms.