1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to teach at a Christian college/university/seminary (etc) at some point. I will have my MA/Religion from Liberty this fall (Sept). After reviewing some experienced posters on this board I have started thinking that doing a little "extra" work maybe a good idea. To this end I am considering putting my MDiv off for one year. During that one year I will try to get a part time teaching job (local community college, etc) and get 18 graduate hours in history. Then go on to finish my other degrees. Would this help me work towards my goal and give me a better chance at getting a job? I know it would open up other doors (ie..full time teaching history and religion at a community college) while working towards my PhD. This seems like a good idea to me. Just wanted to run it by some people who know more of this than I do.

I will pray, and I ask for everyone's prayers as I consider this. If I take this step I would start this fall.

Martin.

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

If I were to do something "extra," I would pursue an MA in history instead of simply acquiring 18 grad hours. I think having the MA in history with your MAR may help towards teaching history and religion at a secular institution. Then, you could pursue a PhD in history at a secular institution. You could write your dissertation in an area that would be "religious," whether a religious issue in history, a study of a person who made a historical impact in the field of religion, etc.

I would not pursue the MDiv unless I were planning to enter the ministry or at least teach in a Christian institution. Even then, the academic route described above would open doors in Christian colleges.

Blessings,
    Bill

3. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I agree with Broadus.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Bill. That sounds like a good plan. After contacting several schools I found that I would have to enroll in a MA program anyway. So just getting the degree maybe the best route anyway.

Martin.