1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Baptist4life, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone know of a NKJV Study Bible that is published in VERSE form rather than PARAGRAPH form? I'd like one, but do not like the PARAGRAPH style.

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a "Believer's Study Bible" (now out of print) that is in verse format. It reappeared as the "Baptist Study Bible" for some time. It's edited by W.A. Criswell. It might still be available.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I have that one - the Baptist Study Bible. The notes are really great and it's in verse format. I keep it on my desk.

There are two new on Amazon for about $40.

Using Google, I found one at www.abbeychristian.com for $26.37. That's the cheapest I saw (I saw one for $100 on alibris which has out of print or rare books).

Google Baptist Study Bible Criswell and several links will come up, but I think that one for $26 is the best probably you can do. It's worth getting!

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you know that you should never read a Bible verse?To see the context you should have a version in paragraph style.The verse units are artificial limitations.Sure they're good for locating a certain part of Scripture but ...

Even the chapter divisions are man-made conveniences.However, chapter and verse divisions are more suitable for the Psalms.

Why do you prefer the isolated verse style?

5. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just what I'm used to. I'm a creature of habit, I guess. :smilewinkgrin:

6. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a Scofield in the NKJV that is verse-by-verse.

7. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    May I ask where you got it?

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What does "verse form" mean?

9. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, this is verse form:

Genesis 5

1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man,
    in the likeness of God made he him;

2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam,
    in the day when they were created.

3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness,
    and after his image; and called his name Seth:

4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were
    eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:

5 And all the days that Adam lived were
    nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

Instead of this in paragraph form:

Genesis 5

Genesis 5
    From Adam to Noah
    1 This is the written account of Adam's line.
    When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God. 2 He created them male and female and blessed them. And when they were created, he called them "man. "3 When Adam had lived 130 years, he had a son in his own likeness, in his own image; and he named him Seth. 4 After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters. 5 Altogether, Adam lived 930 years, and then he died.6 When Seth had lived 105 years, he became the father of Enosh. 7 And after he became the father of Enosh, Seth lived 807 years and had other sons and daughters. 8 Altogether, Seth lived 912 years, and then he died.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ahhhhhh. I've got a NKJV plain text in that format and so does my husband. They're both published by Nelson.

Just go to Christian Book Distributors website and you'll find all you could ever want. I think most NKJVs (plain text or reference) are printed in this format. I also have the Scofield, but if you're not dispensational, you won't want that one.

You can also go to Amazon, Lifeway or any other Christian bookstore. They are very available. Even Walmart has them.

I also prefer the verse form as opposed to the paragraph.

11. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just did a quick search on Amazon and found one, http://www.amazon.com/dp/0195275594/?tag=baptis04-20

You can click on "Search Inside This Book" on the left-hand side of the screen and see that the verses are in a verse-by-verse format.

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Then you have something C.I Scofiled never endorsed and it is unlawful to use his name to promote any kind of any version. Well, except in the realm of Christendom, pretty much anything that builds the machinery of man and increases his finances is "okie dokie":sleep:

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Perhaps you might consider awakening from your nap for a second or two.

First, there is no such individual as any "C. I Scofiled" that I'm aware of.

Second, I am not aware that Dr. C. I. Scofield anywhere "endorsed" any version, per se, at least in the notes of the Scofield Reference Bible although he, along with the, at first 7, then later 8 other Consulting Editors, did in fact use the KJV as the version, with the study notes for the Scofield Reference Bible.

Third, it is not in any manner unlawful for Oxford University and the Oxford University Press, who long ago legally bought and paid for the rights from C. I. Scofield, D.D., and any and all the owners of that Study Bible, to the "Scofield" Reference Bible, which they properly copyrighted, and hence, they are the legal owners of the "Scofield" trademarked name to use this as they may choose.

Fourth, therefore 'Oxford' has the right to publish 'Scofield' Bibles, just as they also do to publish the KJV and the RV. And I presume, they can publish this in any version they choose, consistent with the copyright provisions of a given version. One can get a Scofield Bible, therefore in the NKJV.

Fifth, however, the 'Scofield' Reference Bible, hence the notes of the 1909 and 1917 editions, are now in the "public domain" at least in the United States, and I actually believe in the United Kingdom, as well.

Let it also be noted, that I am in no way suggesting that anyone should necessarily agree or necessarily disagree with the ideas presented in any Scofield version, but your implied "slams" ( and attempted derail) are (a.) completely uncalled for; (b.) contrary to fact; and (c.) have absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the thread, to begin with. [​IMG]

If one wishes to discuss dispensational theology, that is a valid point of discussion, IMO, and I suggest one can likely find several threads (or start a new one) on that subject on the BB. But, again, that has absolutely zero to do with where one can find a NKJV Study Bible in "verse" as opposed to "paragraph" form.

Ed

14. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Moody Press published the Ryrie Study Bible in the NKJV years ago. It was in verse format instead of paragraph format. Sadly, Moody stopped printing the NKJV Ryrie Study Bible several years ago. I haven't checked lately, but one may be available on eBay.

15. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks to one and all. I guess I'm "picky" about the way I like my Bible "laid out", but it's just the way I am. :smilewinkgrin:

16. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to think or assume that C. I. Scofield was KJV-only or that Scofield would not have endorsed any version that made any changes in the text of the KJV.

Perhaps you did not know that Scofield was involved in the making of the 1911 Tercentenary Commemoration Edition of the KJV issued by Oxford University Press in New York. The following was stated on its title page: “The text carefully corrected and amended by American scholars.“ C. I. Scofield is said to have been one of the men involved in the making of this edition. KJV-only author Laurence Vance acknowledged that "this revision of the Authorized Version introduced moderate corrections and improvements to the text" (Brief History, p. 65). Bruce pointed out that in this edition "the text of the A. V. was reproduced with light corrections and improvements" (History, p. 166). Philip Mauro claimed that its editors accepted less than two percent of the changes introduced by the revisers of 1881 (Fuller, True or False, p. 106). That means that its changes numbered at least in the hundreds (likely in the 500-700 range). Some example changes in this edition include “warm springs” for “mules” (Gen. 36:24), “ask” for “borrow” (Exod. 3:22), “turtle doves” for “turtles” (Lev. 12:8), “wild oxen” for “unicorns” (Deut. 33:17), “weapons” for “artillery” (1 Sam. 20:40), “lies” for “leasing” (Ps. 5:6), “wormwood” for “hemlock” (Amos 6:12), “strain out” for “strain at” (Matt. 23:24), “Isaiah the prophet” for “the prophets” (Mark 1:2), “wine-skins” for “bottles” (Mark 2:22), “honour” for “worship” (Luke 14:10), “flock” for “fold” (John 10:16), “assembly” for “church” (Acts 7:38), “Joshua” for “Jesus” (Acts 7:45), “temples” for “churches” (Acts 19:37), “Spirit himself” for “Spirit itself” (Rom. 8:16), “hope” for “faith” (Heb. 10:23), “our God and Saviour Jesus Christ” for “God and our Saviour Jesus Christ” (2 Pet. 1:1), “living creature“ for “beast“ (Rev. 6:3), “wash their robes“ for “do his commandments“ (Rev. 22:14), and “tree of life“ for “book of life“ (Rev. 22:19). Do KJV-only advocates accept this edition of the KJV? Do any KJV-only advocates reprint or publish this carefully prepared edition of the KJV? Some of the changes or different renderings in this 1911 edition are also found in the 1967 New Scofield Reference Bible. Thus, it is possible that C. E. Scofield accepted or advocated a good number of the renderings that were put in the text of the 1967 New Scofield since he clearly accepted them in this 1911 edition.