1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Nov 19, 2014.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When did the Jewish practice of animal sacrifice cease?

2. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Roughly 70 AD with the destruction of the Temple is my understanding

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which time? The temple destroyed in 70 was number three

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is my understanding that they did not sacrifice (properly anyway) apart from the Temple (once it was established). This is why Judaism today is often considered “younger” than Christianity (it is not the same as 1st century Judaism). But I am open to correction.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No access to the Temple Mount, no Temple.

No Temple and precise placement of the altar, no sacrifices.

I was always taught that after the Romans destroyed the second Temple along with Herod's addition to it that some people call the third Temple that Jews no longer had access to the Temple Mount.

I may be wrong - that's just what I was taught.

6. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A couple of years ago I was speaking with a "part-time practicing" Jew and I asked him "when & why" they stopped the practice of animal sacrifice. His response was he didn't know. At the same time he confessed that he felt Jesus was the Messiah but still considered the old teachings somewhat important.

7. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Sure, the old teaching are important...considering that the Law was a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ. But to the point, it's surprising how little most people actually know about the faith they claim to practice.

8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they are "most important". Just consider the 22nd Division of Psalms. Details of the Cross are specifically discussed.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My understanding is that Biblical Judaism ended with the destruction of the temple AD70.

Previous to that, at the moment of Christs' death the veil or curtain hiding the Holy of Holies was torn in two:

Matthew 27
    50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
    51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
    52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
    53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Later Paul writing to gentiles says:

Ephesians 2
    12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
    13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
    14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
    15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
    16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
    17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
    18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
    19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

So the Abrahamic covenant to Jew and gentile alike is now being realized with the new "religion" of Christ, the church which He purchased with His own blood - no more need of animal sacrifice (which could never save from sin anyway but a shadow of what was to come).

Around the same time-Enter Talmudic Judaism or Rabbinical Judaism, the practice of Judaism without a Temple for those who could not/would not accept "the way" of Christ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talmud

HankD