1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured questionable doctorates

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SATS PROF, Mar 1, 2021.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Those with a pedigree must be able to show how they make the kind of disciples Jesus commanded in Matthew 28:19, 20. Those kind are made in the trenches of real life with real people not among those who only teach cognitive information.

2. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember an incident that occurred way back in the early 1980s that, to me was humorous, yet it did shed SOME light about "Dr So-&-So." I attended a History seminar at TN Temple Univ that was conducted by Dr Wiggins. We'd finished up listening to Dr Wiggins' material with some time to spare so he opened the floor for any questions. This one fellow asked about the difference between an actual "Earned" Doctorate & an "Honorable" one. Dr Wiggins explained that an Earned one meant, as its name implies, one that you've successfully earned this kind of Doctorate by meeting all the university's requirements (Including your dissertation). OTOH, an Honorary Drs is usually one that's awarded to someone who may not necessarily meet that Univ's education criteria, but that its recepient has performed to a level of work that the unv wants to award him with one. This fellow told us about this Bible conference he'd attended & had, "Doctor This and Doctor That....More Doctors than the nearby hospital ever had, and, tell you the truth, I wouldn't trust any of them to put a BandAid on my cut finger!!" H'mmm!:eek::eek:ConfusedConfused:Thumbsdown:Thumbsup

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones was actually a medical doctor. He had no formal theological education whatsoever, save that he had a brain the size of a small planet and taught himself. Spurgeon likewise had no theological training.
    Having said that, I would have loved to have studied theology to the PhD level and I'm sure it would have been a blessing both to me and those I preach to. Education is fundamentally a Good Thing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Credentialism (belief in or reliance on academic or other formal qualifications as the best measure of a person's intelligence or ability to do a particular job) does not help the ministry of Christ.

The world values credentials, such that without a degree, a person cannot obtain jobs, or even be allowed to provide input to decisions.

I did not say nor suggest bible study is not a desirable activity.
    I did not say nor suggest R rated movies were related to bible study, the rating of those movies relates to bogus credentialism.
    I did not say nor suggest a low opinion of learning.

For me to need to address all these bogus misrepresentations should qualify me for a honorary degree in BA identification. (BA = bogus assertion)

5. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad you posted an "Honorary" degree. I can think of some who hold "Ornornoree" degrees!! :eek::eek::confused::confused::Inlove:Inlove

• Like Like x 1
  6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I took systematic theology from Lexie Wiggins at Temple Baptist Theological Seminary back in '76. He was a good prof and I enjoyed his classes. However, at that time he only had an M.Div.--which, however, is a 96 credit degree and thus equivalent to some Ph.D.'s in the secular realm, IMO. Many years later I saw him while on furlough from Japan, and he actually remembered me--flattering! He's in Heaven now. He was a good man.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    l

Then there are those guys who assist certain ladies seeking a MRS degree

and if he is going to be the pastor of a small church, the main requirement for his wife is to
    be able to play the piano.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several years ago when we were practicing for commencement, the pres leaned over to me and said, "Sorry we can't give you an honorary doctorate, because we don't do that here." I replied, "Stephen (a student) told me the other day he thought I should have an honorary doctorate. But I told him it should be an ornery doctorate." The pres laughed and we went on with our rehearsal.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So with that ornery doctorate - do we now call you Dr. John?

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I respect those who have studied God's word so long as it does not destroy there humility. Pride is a terrible thing to deal with.
    Some of the people here always paste what the Greek says as if the translators of scripture got it wrong. I for one have tried to understand Greek Yet it isn't something the Lord has placed on my heart. If I didn't believe the Bible, I'd throw out all the versions I have.

You see when I study my Bible I have been fed. I have to digest what I have been fed. The Bible I have is enough and the Greek isn't going to make any difference in my Salvation. Only the Lord can make a difference in understanding.
    MB

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of posters, Calvinists in particular, like to award me with ornery degrees.

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not ornery. more like very confused on theology!

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer Dr. Ornery. :Cautious

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he weren't already dead, Dr John Creaux of New Orleans would probably object if someone else got the title.

Also, I had one candidacy for a pastorate rejected specifically because my wife could not play piano....

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again you cannot help yourself, you must deny truth. Your theology is false, yet you have the unmitigated gall to claim I am very confused? Have you no shame?

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John R. Rice was also called Dr. John by close friends.

17. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist
    I rest my case!! :D:D:Cautious:Cautious:mad::mad::Sleep:Sleep:Sleep:Sleep

18. Paul from Antioch

Faith:
    Baptist
    I knew of a college that seemed to lead in that direction. Its founding pastor had 3 sons, but two of them divorced their wives for other women. Yet his own wife taught the young lady students how to relate to young men. And many a male student followed this Founding Pastor's sons in that they too divorced their wives as well. Moreover, if a student even tried to prioritize his Bible studying, etc., over winning over Miss Right, he quite often was the target of ridicule by not only some of the student body, but also by some of its faculty. Is this the way to want to have your personal life reflect that of your Personal Savior?

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unbelievable

20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've come to think that the proliferation of honorary doctorates is based on a few reasons.
    1. The antipathy of calling a man "Pastor" away from his own church. This goes to the Distinctive of the Independence and Autonomy of the Local Church. And the antipathy towards the use of the title "Reverand."
    2. The titles of Brother and Elder seem to be as smacking of Catholicism and Mormonism.
    3. It's only been in the last 20 years that doctorial level programs have been open to Fundmentalists.