1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questionable Lyrics?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by princessJJ, Jul 9, 2006.

1. princessJJ

princessJJ New Member

We sung a song at church today and some of the lyrics are:

i believe that He who suffered was crucified, buried, and dead
    He descended into hell and on the third day, rose again
    He ascended into Heaven where He sits at God's mighty right hand
    I believe that He's returning

Does anyone know if there is a place in scripture that says Jesus descended into hell? It doesn't ring a bell with me, so I am wondering I missed that or what?

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The "Descended into hell" part means Jesus' body went to the grave. I think this statement was added to this creed later, but I'm not sure.

The word "hell" came from "hades" which means "grave." So it all depends on what is meant by "hell."

There are those who say this means he went to preach to the captives in prison <hell> (1 Pet. 3.18-20) but I don't think that is what this passage means --- there are 3 or 4 different views on that passage.

Since Jesus said on the cross to the thief "today you will be with me in paradise," I don't think Jesus went to hell. His body went to the grave - Hades. It's a statement that he physically died. That is important because his bodily resurrection is so essential to our faith. If he did not really die, then his resurrection means nothing.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Taken almost verbatim from "The Apostle's Creed"

Traditional English Version I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.
    And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
    I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic Church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. AMEN.

Modern English Version I believe in God, the Father almighty,
    creator of heaven and earth.
    I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord,
    who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
    born of the Virgin Mary,
    suffered under Pontius Pilate,
    was crucified, died, and was buried;
    he descended to the dead.
    On the third day he rose again;
    he ascended into heaven,
    he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
    and he will come again to judge the living and the dead.
    I believe in the Holy Spirit,
    the holy catholic church,
    the communion of saints,
    the forgiveness of sins,
    the resurrection of the body,
    and the life everlasting. AMEN

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I agree:
    It sounds like the Apostle's Creed to me.
    DHK

5. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Hello all

1. Psalms 16 and Acts 2 say Jesus went to Hell.

2. If you look in any dictionary of reputable history, you will see hades does not just mean "grave". It refers to the abode of the departed dead. This is not near as narrow as the definition given by Marcia. "Hades" is a location where dead people go. Ephesians 4 says he descended into the lower parts of the earth which would make no sense if it were merely the grave.

3. "Hades" had two compartments before, according to Luke 16, the death of Christ... paradise (Abraham's bosom) and "the flame".

Thanks

6. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

3. "Hades" had two compartments before, according to Luke 16, the death of Christ... paradise (Abraham's bosom) and "the flame".

Let me correct myself here. I meant to say 2 compartments until the death of Christ.

That is not correct anyway. I was doing some more study on that today and believers will still be in "HADES" (the place of departed dead) until the rapture of the saints according to 1 Corinthians 15 "O death where is your sting, o [hades] where is your victory?"

Thanks

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Many believe that "Descended into the lower parts of the earth" means either the incarnation or possibly the grave. There are various views on it. Here is a comment from the NET Bible:

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

So why would Paul say in several places that to die is to be with Christ?

Our bodies are resurrected at the rapture; we are with Christ immediately after death.

9. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Hi Marcia

Good question. Phil 1:22 and 2 Cor 5:8 do say once a person has died in Christ they depart to live with him. They are, however, dead and as such are in the "place of the departed dead" or HADES. I do believe, however, based on Ephesians 4, that the HADES for the believer has changed specific location.

I would liken HADES to the state you depart to and Hell (torments or OT Abrham's bosom/paradise) or Heaven to the city within the state of HADES "place of departed dead".

Good question.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Hi, PrimePower,

Since God's word is clear we are with Christ when we die, what in the Bible makes you think we are in some kind of place for the departed dead that is not heaven?

11. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

I never said that Christians now go to a place of departed dead that is not heaven.:sleeping_2: