1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions about Anabaptist Kinship

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by imported_J.R. Graves, Sep 29, 2005.

1. imported_J.R. Graves

I know several of you such as brother "Kiffin" hold to the anabaptist kinship theory of Baptist history. For those of you who hold this I have some questions:

1. What kind of relationship to you think the Anabaptist had with the English or American Baptists?

2. Do you claim any of the pre-reformation dissenting groups as part of our Baptist heritage? If so which ones?

3. Which of the dissenting groups that successionists claim to be a part of our Baptist heritage do you think were only heretics?

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it was the Anabaptists who brought the gospel into pre-reformation Europe and influenced, either directly or indirectly, the reformers.
    Our faith did not originate spontaneously so it obviously was passed along by our spiritual forebears. Those spiritual forebears could be found in the ranks of Montanists, Novatians, Donatists, Britons, Celtics, Paulicians, Petrobrussians, Albigenses, Waldenses, and, of course, Anabaptists. However, it must be noted that all who came to be known by those names were not necessarily sound in the faith anymore than all who are known as Baptists today our necessarily sound in the faith.
    Just as within Baptist ranks you can find all sorts of heretics, so also, within the ranks of those I mentioned, heretics could be found.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would also add this caveat. Due to the lack of hard primary evidence, I treat the matter as a Model not necessarily a Theory. With that comment, I concur with Brother Cassidy's remarks.

4. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

Hi Bro. JR ...always good to hear from you

I think the General Baptists were directly influenced by them and it does seem the Particular Baptists were influenced by them either directly or indirectly depending on what you believe on the "Kiffin manuscript." The weakness of the English separatists theory is it implies Baptists were influenced by the Puritans but the Puritans had no concept of Freedom of Religion, Separation of Church and State much less Believer's Baptism.

The Waldenses are the closest to the Anabaptist/Baptist heritage though I question whether their views on Church government could be listed in that heritage. I don't know if there is enough info. I think only a spiritual kinship could be made at best.

The Carthars it appears were.

In reality I think Baptist heritage like that of the Anabaptists were movements to reembrace the Apostolic model of the Church. On the other hand Particular Baptist soterology shows a strong influence from the English Reformation which is logical since they were originally separatists from the Church of England. So in reality Particular Baptist thought and theology represent a marriage of the Magistral Reformers (Luther, Calvin) and the Radical Reformers (Anabaptists)

5. mioque

mioque New Member

1. I would say that the baptists are the product of the English version of the Nadere Reformatie running into the Ana-Baptists.

2. No.

3. I would say that the Albigenses probably were a 'new' post-christian religion altogether, not unlike the Mormons in a sense. As for most of the other groups that are usually trotted out as part of the Trail, they would be considered heretics by many modern fundie baptists, just for different reasons than the mainline church condemned them for back then.

6. Sarah Rae

Sarah Rae New Member

is there anywhere that actually says the main difference between Anabaptists and Baptists?

i really am having a hard time understanding the differences...