1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

questions about church issues....

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by bodyofchrist32, Feb 6, 2009.

1. bodyofchrist32

bodyofchrist32 New Member

Over the last several months I have noticed a few things going on within my church that i'm not sure are right, and I would really appreciate the views of my fellow christians. I have three questions: 1) Is it wrong to ordain a music minister? 2) Is it wrong to make someone a youth pastor who, by his own admission, is not called to preach or serve in a pastoral role? Before I post the third question, let me give you some background.... My pastor has two daughters. A while back, one of the daughters told a friend of a sexual encounter she recently had. The friend informed the pastor, and no action was taken. The daughter continued to serve in the choir and other church ministries. A few months later, the daughter dropped out of school and left the church. Another couple of months go by, and the other daughter sets the pastors house on fire, causing significant damage. She then forged a threatening note, in an effort to make the pastor think that one of the church members had done it, so that he would resign from the church, and spend more time with his family. Again, no action was taken. No charges were pressed, and the daughter continues to serve in various church ministries. Now, my third question is 3) Given the lack of ability to control his family, is the pastor called(Biblically speaking) to resign from the ministry?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So before making this public have you done what the Bible commands and gone to him alone? Why should we who are not part of your local church pass judgment on someone when we do not know any other facts than what you have brought forth. You may be entirely correct in your assessment, but I have only your word. The marvel of the Biblical model is that it seeks truth and repentence.

3. bodyofchrist32

I am not aking for anyone to pass judgment, I am merely asking for opinions based upon God's word, and I have not made an assesment. That is what i'm trying to do, determine whether these things are acceptable or wrong.

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you have done exactly that. You want us to determine if someone whom we do not know, under circumstances which you have presented only your side is acting biblically or not. I wouldn't do it in a court of law. I wouldn't do it in my church when we exercise church discipline. And we shouldn't do it here.

5. bodyofchrist32

I don't even have a side in it..... I merely stated the facts of what transpired, and was hoping for a Biblical answer so that I could determine whether or not to adress the pastor. He is my friend, and I don't want to approach him unjustly. And I suppose that the questions about ordination and pastoring were judgmental too, since you have avoided them altogether. I didn't ask what you would do in a court of law, and I didn't ask for an outline of your church practices, I asked what the Bible says about issues of this nature, and if you can't provide that answer, then please move on to another forum.

6. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

1) No

2) No

3) No

7. bodyofchrist32

I appreciate your answers, but if possible, could you give me some Biblical reasons for your answers please?

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

1. why would it be a problem to ordain the music minister?

2. Being called to preach is not the same as being called to be a youth minister.

3. Hmmm.

9. bodyofchrist32

1. I don't know that it would be, I was just wondering.

2. True, but the youth pastor has the responsibility to guide and teach the youth in the Word of God and in righteousness, and I was thinking that a responsibility of that magnitude would require a special calling from God.

3. Still can't get an answer on this one...... can somebody help please.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

1. There is no biblical issue on the ordination, IMO. Strictly speaking, a "music minister" is an extra-biblical (not unbiblical) position. Our philosophy at our church (6 f/t ministers) is that all of our ministers are serving as pastors...they just concentrate in one area of church life. And, of course, there is only one senior pastor, to whom we answer. IMO, if you want to ordain him, and he (and the church, and the pastor) want it, bless you.

2. Once again, it depends on your church's philosophy of ministry. I've been in some churches where the youth minister was a "youth director"--in other words, and organizer of events. To me, that is a waste of church time and resources, and it meets shallow needs when deeper ones exist. My opinion is that a youth minister (or other associated titles) is to be a pastor to the students, and their families. For both of those things to happen, it is unlikely that a nineteen year-old who has no sense of calling can fulfill those roles. Of course, other churches don't necessarily agree with me. I guess what I'm saying is this: although there isn't a direct Scriptural addressing of this issue, I would say that since a church should be a wise steward of resources, then they should hire someone who can do more than organize events. There should at least be a passion for serving God and working with teens. In my book, there should be a calling as well.

Each year, we hire summer interns at my church. Sometimes, we will hire someone who is thinking about/dealing with their calling into ministry. In that case--a closely supervised, limited time/responsibility position--it helps them process exactly what they see God calling them to do. But it also is done so in a scope so that we haven't hired someone full time, permanently, who doesn't have the passion, gifts, or calling for it.

3. I'm staying out of that one. Sorry, but I don't feel I can answer that without being a party to gossip. I hope it works out, and that God is honored in the process.

11. bodyofchrist32

Thank you very much. It is so good to finally get a response not full of criticism or sarcasm. I have posted two forum topics on this site, just trying to get answers to some questions that have been weighing on me, or to see the views of other Christians, and so far 95% of the responses have been chocked full of both, and it is very discouraging. Again, thank you.

12. Victorious

Victorious Member

I'm going to answer this based upon the assumption that what you have said has all been verified. You are not clear as to how you found this information out and I believe some of the replies you received are simply based on the fear that this is heresay which would put it in the realm of gossip. But taking your concerns as you've presented them...

In a situation like this, the pastor should have dealt with his family as he would any other member of the church in regard to ministry and guess what? He might have done that. You have no way of knowing if his daughter confessed and repented or how he handled it privately. My suggestion is to go to the pastor yourself with your concerns and discuss the issue with him. His response may tell you what you want to hear.

Should the daughters continue in serving in the church? I have no idea what part they have in ministry but unless you have all the facts, they should continue.

Should the pastor continue pastoring? Absolutely! The scriptures are clear that an overseer should be able to manage his family well and when he was ordained he probably had everything in control (which is one reason we don't lay hands on anyone too quickly.) But does scripture say he should step down if life happens? No.

I wouldn't wait to long before speaking to the pastor. Remember though, stick to the facts but do not bring an accusation unless you bring another with you who has been a witness to this and has the same concerns.

Hope that helps.