1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions for those who believe that man's will is involved in salvation.

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by 4His_glory, Aug 30, 2005.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

1. Do you believe that the Holy Spirit plays any role in the sinner coming to faith in Christ?

2. Do you believe that, apart from any supernatural work of the Holy Spirit, the sinner, by nature, desires to come to Christ?

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

1. Yes, I believe that it's the Holy Spirit that brings the conviction to the sinner, who then can choose to yeild to the conviction, repent and turn their life over to the Lord, or reject the Holy Spirit, continue in their sin and die and go to Hell.

2. I believe the sinner will only repent if they have first been convicted by the Holy Spirit, but they still have the free-will to reject that conviction.

3. 4study

4study New Member

Haven't been here in awhile.

1. Yes.
    2. No, yet I still believe God does not encroach upon human volition.

4. philg

philg New Member

yes

2. Do you believe that, apart from any supernatural work of the Holy Spirit, the sinner, by nature, desires to come to Christ?
    [/QUOTE]
    Define this work. God has given us light in several diffrent ways. How are you defining the work?

5. Miss22

Miss22 New Member

1. Yes.

2. “And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, Will draw all men unto Me.”

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My, my, reminds me of the serpents words to Eve.

'ye shall be as gods'.

7. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Wow, comparing my beliefs to the words of Satan!! :eek:

What part of my post is saying "ye shall be as gods"?

8. King James Bond

King James Bond New Member

I would have to agree with pinoybaptist!

[​IMG] KJB

9. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I believe that the Holy Spirit reaches out to all sinners, and that He offers pardon and grace to all men, but that He does not force that upon any man. He "stands and knocks". He doesn't force.

To offer a choice is not to relinguish authority over that choice. God's word says that Christ was sent to the world, I believe God's word.

I believe that Christ sends the truth to all men, and that He offers His loving grace to all men, but that He allows men to choose to follow Him or not to follow Him. Those who choose not to follow Him automatically are condemnded to hell.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

TS speaks my mind. A person choosing to accept the gift of salvation does not usurp God's sovereignty or authority, nor does it compromise the concept of irresistable grace. By insisting it's either/or, both the arminian and the calvinist are in error.

11. King James Bond

King James Bond New Member

No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.

Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.

Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

For you have given Him authority over everyone in all the earth. He gives eternal life to each one you have given Him.

My prayer is not for the world, but for those you have given me, because they belong to you.

So receiving God's promise is not up to us. We can't get it by choosing it or working hard for it. God will show mercy to anyone he chooses. Romans 9:16

So you see, God shows mercy to some just because he wants to, and He chooses to make some people refuse to listen.
    Romans 9:18

Well then, what shall we say about these things? Just this: The Gentiles have been made right with God by faith, even though they were not seeking Him. Romans 9:30

So much human free-will involved.

:confused: KJB

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I see you beat me to the punch KJB, nice post.

Even non-Calvinists must admit that NO ONE wil be saved apart from the working of the Holy Spirit. This totally destroyes the argument that man can come to Christ of his own free will.

13. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Well, if non-Calvinists don't believe that man can come to Christ by his own free will, against whom are you fulminating?

14. philg

philg New Member

Who ever said man could come on his own?? This is a strawman attack

15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Strawman? No it is implied that if one can choose his own salvation than one must be able to come on his own. You can't have both.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is also implied that if God is sovereign according to calvinism, and He chooses us for salvation, no act of man is required including faith. You can't have both.

17. philg

philg New Member

Wrong, Who says one can come unaided by God? This is a Strawman attack. Who beleives this? How did you arrive at this conclusion?

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Can man choose to follow God?

19. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

It is also implied that if God is sovereign according to calvinism, and He chooses us for salvation, no act of man is required including faith. You can't have both. </font>[/QUOTE]Faith is a gift from God, so ultimatly God is sovereign. Only after God grants faith can man then exercise it.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If God created man with this ability, yes. Can man choose not to follow God?