1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions from 6th graders?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by zrs6v4, Sep 23, 2010.

1. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I just started teaching a 6th grade Sunday school class at my church about a month ago and I am amazed at the questions. Most are off essential topic and have to be answered after class. I tell the kids to write down their questions they have and we can discuss it during the week. The questions are usually somewhat off base so I am uncertain how to go about dealing with them. So I am getting that taken care of partially by getting advice.

I feel that while their questions are unfruitful at times, I do care for the kids and want to help them with their confusions. I am aware that there are some questions that are best left unanswered, some worth discussing, and some worth going off topic in class for.

Anyway here are the 4 written questions I had them write as we were going through the Lesson (we are going through Genesis and hitting main doctrine/topics as they arise). Feel free to help me address these questions or to give me advice on how to approach this in the future.

1. How were people saved in the Old Testament (I hit that one in class, it was important).

2. How did Noah and his family survive without trees?

3. How did fish live on if all died in the flood?

4. When were dinosaurs created? Whats the story on them?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

1. By grace through faith.

Galatians 3:6-7 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

2. There were still trees after the flood.

Genesis 8:11 And the dove came in to him in the evening; and, lo, in her mouth was an olive leaf pluckt off: so Noah knew that the waters were abated from off the earth.

3. Fish would have survived in the waters of the flood. There is no mention of fish being destroyed by the flood.

Genesis 6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

4.Dinosaurs were created on day 6.
    Genesis 1:24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

A good website for a lot of the children's questions is Answers in Genesis.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

I have learned that regardless of the 'lesson plan', I listen to the Spirit of God when questions come up rather than keep to my book. I have found more often than not.. THAT is the issue God wanted dealt with in the class and it was something they kept talking about till the next Sunday. Most times I have to pick back up where I left off my lesson on the next Sunday.

That is spiritual sensitivity and is something we must rely on God for. So keep up the good work, but don't put off to many questions for the prepared lesson. :) Just my personal opinion - take it with a grain of salt.

Now to the questions0
    1: Same as the NT.. By grace through faith

2.. The Ark.. and by the time that was used up I'm quite sure all those dead trees laying around were dried out and usable as well. Since there wasn't a massive amount of life.. The total oxygen would easily sustain them till plants began growing again and replacing it.

3. Note the Gen Passage about 'what' will die:
    What animals are 'upon' or 'on' the earth/land?
    NOTE - it does not state 'in' or 'of' the earth

Second.. what animals breathe air and which ones breathe water?
    The 'breathe' of life refers to breathing 'air'.
    Fish breathe water and turns it into oxygen.

Lastly.. note - everything ON the earth will die.
    And to prove that point God stated just previously in a different way the same thing here:

4. Dinosaurs were created in the in the Garden as well. Note - the word 'Dinosaur' was not even a word until about the 1800's.

Tanniyn a Hebrew word occurs 28 times in the Bible and is normally translated “dragon.” However it is also translated “serpent,” "reptile", or even “great creature”. Behemoth and Leviathan are relatively specific creatures that without question, due to their description, were in fact dinosaurs (or great lizards of both land and Sea). However Tanniyn is a more general term which can be thought of as the original version of the word “dinosaur” - not a particular name just a general description of and for certain animals. Remember the word “dinosaur” was originally coined in 1841, more than three thousand years after the Bible first referred to “Tanniyn.”

Note Gen 1:21 - Great whales is actually great or large Tanniyns (creatures)
    as an example.

#3 Allan, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010