1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions to ask a prospective pastor

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 19, 2010.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An easy oversight that has been made in this thread is doctrinal position.

But with Baptists it's probably a given and should be given equal weight with character and integrity.
    In many cases it's probably already known beforehand.

But people change.

For example:

What is your view concerning Calvinism, dispensationalism, preterism... ?

and/or

Would you describe yourself as Reformed, evangelical, fundamentalist. etc...

A bad fit could spell disaster.

HankD

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would think few know about those subjects. How many know about progressive dispensationalism, Ryrie vs Blaising and the hard line of Scofield, Chafer, and Darby?

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Pastor Larry,
    I agree with your opinion about the good questions to ask except #4. I really do not see where a couple having or not having children is applicable to someone being called to be pastor.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It can be an indication of their view of marriage and family. If they do not have children because they are unable, that's one thing. If they do not have children because they are busy pursuing careers and children would cut into that, that's a completely different thing. The first is fine; the second shows an unbiblical view of marriage and family, that children are inconveniences to be avoided, not blessings to be sought.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

In that light I agree. My children were both gifts from the Lord, and would not have missed one day with them. (well, maybe one that comes to mind)

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might be surprised at the number of church splits that have precipitated out of these issues.

Most of the modern splintering and fragmentation of "Protestantism" concerns these very issues.

HankD

7. Bro K

Bro K New Member

Question: Have you talked to our previous Pastor? Might be helpful if the previous Pastor left under "unfavorable" conditions. If a Pastor is leaving a church under "favorable" conditions; shouldn't he help HIS congregation in selecting a new Pastor?

8. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

One question I always ask...."Besides the Bible, what books have had the greatest impact on your life?" This goes a long way in figuring out doctrinal leanings.

9. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I do think this is a good list of questions:

# There are many who profess to know Christ who are mistaken. What evidences do you have that you have been given life by God?

# What does it mean for a person to love God? In what ways do you see true biblical love toward God demonstrated in your life? Do you see true biblical love toward God in the lives of your wife and each of your children?

# How does your wife feel about your commitment to pastoring?

# Why do you believe God wants you in the pastorate?

# Closely examine each of the Bible’s qualifications for pastors and deacons (1 Tim. 3; Titus 1:5-9; Acts 6:1-6; 1 Pet. 5:1-4). Which are your strongest qualities? With which requirements do you have the most trouble? Why do you believe these areas of difficulty do not presently disqualify you from ministering? (Note the phrase “must be” in 1 Tim. 3:2.)

# A pastor is charged by God to preach to the church and to shepherd the people in a more individual way. Which aspect of the ministry appeals to you the most? What are some specific ways you could be helped to develop your skills in either of these areas?

# What are your methods for involving yourself in the lives of your people as their shepherd and overseer of their souls?

# What activities characterize your evangelistic interest? What is your approach to personal evangelism? corporate evangelism?

# What is your approach to counseling? How do you handle your counseling load?

# What are your specific and regular practices regarding the spiritual disciplines (e.g., personal prayer, Bible study, meditation, stewardship, learning, etc.)?

# How would you describe a successful pastor? How would you describe a successful church?

# How is the pastor held accountable? What relationships in your life currently provide accountability for responsible attitudes and behavior, both personally and as pastor?

# Who are your favorite Christian writers, commentators, theologians, etc.? Why? What books have you read in the past year?

# Describe an instance when you made attempts to reform the church in some significant area. What were the results? What did it cost you personally?

# Describe your leadership style. What have been some weaknesses? Strengths?

# When you have met with opposition, has it been mostly related to your style of leadership, your personality, your beliefs, or something else?

# According to your observations, what doctrines needs special emphasis in our day?

# What is true biblical repentance?

# What is true biblical faith?

# Explain justification by faith. What is the difference between the Catholic view of justification and the biblical view?

# Please explain your view of sanctification. What are the various means God uses to sanctify the believer?

# Can a person have Christ as his Savior without submitting to Him as Lord? Explain.

# What is your position on the inerrancy of Scripture?

# Explain the biblical term “baptism of the Spirit.” When does this baptism occur?

# What are your views on baptism by water?

# How does the Bible relate the sovereignty of God to salvation?

# What does the Bible teach about the extent of man’s depravity?

# What does Christ’s atonement accomplish?

# What does the Bible teach about the perseverance and preservation of believers?

# What is the proper use of the Old Testament law?

# How do you articulate your present view of end-time or eschatological issues?

# Do you believe that Jesus Christ was born of a virgin? What is the significance of your belief?

# What is your interpretation of the biblical teaching on Hell?

# Do you believe that the events described in Genesis 1-11 are factual or symbolic?

# What does the Bible teach concerning spiritual gifts? Please delineate your views about prophecy and speaking in tongues.

# What is your view of divorce and remarriage? How strictly will you follow this view in practice?

# What is your view of the phrase, “The bishop [pastor] then must be...the husband of one wife”
    (1 Tim. 3:2)?

# What are your requirements for performing a marriage ceremony?

# Please explain your views on church discipline. Relate any personal experience.

# How would you handle a case of scandal or immorality by a church member?

# What is your view on abortion?

# Many children who appear to be converted at an early age show no evidence of knowing Christ later. How do you handle children when they come to you for counsel concerning conversion? What is your advice to parents?

# What is a useful plan for receiving new members into the church? What are prerequisites?

# What are your views on styles of church music?

# Who should direct the worship of the church? Why? Which methods of leading corporate worship are appropriate? Which are inappropriate?

# What does the Bible teach is the purpose of the church’s weekly gathering?

# What are your views regarding raising money for various projects within the church? Should the church solicit those outside the church?

# What are your convictions about the local church and debt?

# What does the bible teach about women in pastoral ministry?

# What does the Bible teach about how churches should make decisions?

# How should a pastor and his church relate to other churches locally and (if denominational) to the larger body? Do you feel comfortable cooperating with other denominations? Do you draw any lines?

# What are the biblical responsibilities of elders? Are there any distinctions between elders, pastors, and overseers? If applicable, what distinctions exist between staff and non-staff pastors?

# What are the biblical responsibilities of deacons? How are deacons and elders to relate?

# What emphasis do you give to the leadership of fathers with their families, especially in terms of family worship? Do you personally engage in family worship with your wife and children?

# What is your missionary vision for the church? How are you currently demonstrating missionary interest and involvement?

10. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

Pastor Larry would you mind explaining how you feel #11 is an "explicit" requirement?

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, I suppose I did word that wrong.
    There are other questions on that list that are definitely worth exploring. Divorce stuck out in my mind as it would IMO, immediately disqualify a person in the areas of blameless, not able to rule his own household, and possibly the husband of one wife. It seems to be the question that is always asked. The others not so often.

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Sure. Someone who carries on loud arguments with his wife is someone who lacks self-control, is probably not peaceable, is probably pugnacious, probably doesn't rule his own household well, and he's not above reproach. I have stood outside houses and apartments and heard the arguments. Needless to say, I have no respect for someone who talks to his wife that way. It does not demonstrate Christlike, gospel driven love. It is abusive.

If you cannot treat the most important person in the world to you with respect and grace, then you should not be leading a church.

13. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

So "non-loud" arguments are a sign of a healthy marriage and a qualified pastoral candidate? I don't think volume has a whole lot to do with it. I've known people who could verbally cut someone to pieces and never raise their voice.

But my point was that "loud arguments" being a criteria for judging the worthiness of a pastoral candidate is not "explicit" in Scripture. It is not clearly defined. You may draw that conclusion from your interpetation of "ruling his own household well" but it is not "explicit". The number of "probably"s you use in your own statement is in itself revealing, there is no certainty to such a criteria.

#33 GBC Pastor, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2010
  14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Volume certainly has something to do with it. Sure, people can "cut to pieces" with a soft voice, but they can rarely demonstrate grace, love, and mercy with a loud angry one. Most people yell when they are out of control. They are no longer practicing restraint. So yes, it does have something to do with it, but it's not everything.

A couple who has learned biblical conflict resolution can disagree strongly without raising their voice. A couple who carries on loud arguments are violating a number of biblical principles of relationships and conflict resolutions.

Let's face it: most wives don't experience love when their husbands raise his voice at them. And most men don't experience respect when their wives raise their voice at them.

I think it is pretty obvious.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "explicit." It is obvious that "loud" and "arguments" do not appear together in the Bible. But it is explicit that lack of self-control, failure to be peacable, etc. are explicit and that means the evidences of those are explicitly talked about.

AGain, only if you use a questionable definition of "explicit."

Yes, remarkable that someone on the BB admits they don't know it all and might be wrong, eh?

The reality is that a loud argument is a probable indicator of the types of character deficiencies that are explicitly addressed. One loud argument is not a dealbreaker, but a lot of them are.

I imagine that you have no respect for people who carry on loud arguments. You probably just never put it in the context of pastoral qualifications.

15. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

No. I'm certainly not endorsing arguments of any kind. However, I do recognize that all marriages have periods of "ups" and "downs". As such I'm not sure how strong a criteria that could be for determining a pastoral candidate. I guess my own life will have to serve as my example.

My wife and I were very young when we married and had our share of "loud arguments". When I took my second pastorate I was only 24 and my wife 22. If I had to rate the strength of our marriage at that point on a scale of 1-10 it would have been a sub 5 rating. However, God used that new church, new community, and new state (we went from TX to LA) to draw my wife and I closer together. And we enjoyed seven wonderful years serving in that church. In fact I tell people often that I credit God placing us in that new church as saving our marriage. My wife and I enjoy an outstanding marriage today with two children and a third on the way! However, by your criteria I should never have been the pastor of this church.

Which is certainly why I'm a little sensitive to such a criteria. I simply see another side of it.

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Yes, I think you are reading me rightly to understand my position that you should not have been the pastor of that church. You admit that you were "sub-5" which to me seems to indicate that you knew you weren't a model of what a Christian marriage should be like. And I think the character requirements are so high, in part, because of the model type nature of the ministry.

Based on your story, it sounds to me like, at that point in your life, you were not demonstrating Christian maturity and you would have been well served to get under the discipleship of a good couple while growing up into marriage. And perhaps it is unfortunate that no one stepped up to tell you that.

I think going into your second pastorate at age 24 is enough to raise a lot of questions. I think pastors ought to be asked in depth about their previous ministries (and chruches should be asked too).

Again, I don't know you so it's not personal at all. I'm am just using your story as you gave it here. I am glad you were able to grow, and God is good in that he worked in spite of that situation. But I don't think ministry is a place to be working on the basics of Christian life. There are some things that ought to be nailed down prior to vocational ministry, and the marriage basics is one of them.

17. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I have more of a problem with churches who ask no questions of any substance at all. I have sat in on interviews where the only question asked was if the canidate was divorced.

On another line of thought;

Where does the role of age come into play, or does it at all. Second church at age 24? Is that too young? What about children, are they required?

18. GBC Pastor

GBC Pastor New Member

And yet God did call me to that church, and blessed the church and I with seven years of very fruitful ministry. Can you explain that in light of your opinion? I don't think there is a pastor alive who does not have areas of weakness in his life. Areas he feels need improvement. But does that disqualify him from the ministry God calls him to? Should I have told the Lord, "I know you are leading me to this church, but I cannot do it because my marriage isn't as strong as I would like it to be?" Do we not teach from our puplits the ability of God to take ordinary people and do extraordinary things? The ability to take imperfect man and accomplish His perfect work? Are pastors to be a sub-group of super Christians who do not fall into this group? The Apostle Paul himself would have placed himself in the category of an imperfect man being used of God.

I would be careful in placing a limit on who God can use based on age.

19. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Please don't misunderstand, I am not limiting who God can use or what God has done through you. I am simply asking in regard to the requirements set forth in scripture. It mentions one must rule a household well, it mentions a wife and children. It mentions that one not be a novice. How do we consider these things against someone who says that God called them to do such and such? If one is not married do they meet the requirements set forth? etc.

If 24 is OK then what about 21? or 18? younger?

When can one lead the flock?

20. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

If we are to error, and we will, should it be on the side of restricting too much, or allowing too much?