1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions to ask Potential Pastor's

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thank you. That is very kind. I'm glad we agree. :wavey: back at ya!

2. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, your current Pastor may have something for you to hear if your listening. He sounds like he is at least reading all the bible. My prayers are with you. I hope you find the will of our Lord.

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I'd say that his answer is the problem, not the solution. I've already posted some of what we're doing at our church, which is attracting young atheists and other apathetic people left and right by preaching the Word in a relevant way. We pull no punches, but are culturally in tune with our target audience.

It works...

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes Amy that was a great post. you do understand it from the side of the Laity who wants to grow. Since Im in a void area, the Closest Reformed Baptist Church, a good one to is in Montville, about 45 Miles away. Thats not the problem though, its the NY & NJ traffic on weekdays that makes that a 2 hour drive. Anyway thats not exactly my Idea of community. I was hoping for something closer. I guess you either go to these small churches & when you grow up you must bite the bullit & travel to get fed.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guy, if you were in NJ, Guaranteed I be there in a heart beat.

6. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't even know what to say to that.

Honestly? If that's the attitude in your church, then your pastor ought to be ashamed of himself.

7. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I read his post and immediately thought of Hebrews 5:12-14

"For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil."

How does he expect people to be prepared for ministry if they don't grow past the "first principles"? How does he hope to use his gifts for the edification of the body of Christ? How does he hope to interact with the lost and present the Gospel to them?

i'm concerned for him because I've never met a Christian who was born again and growing in Christ who didn't desire a deeper knowledge and understanding of God's Word.

If I showed you a baby who wasn't eating, who wasn't growing, who wasn't moving, you wouldn't think that was a very healthy baby, would you? And yet, people like him are content for babes in Christ to not eat of the meat of God's Word, to not grow in the grace and knowledge of the Lord, to not move into areas of ministry. The Bible says those babes are not very healthy.

One of the things that makes me so proud of the people in my church is that when we announce a new class, they're beating down the door because they want to learn more about God's word and hone their knowledge and understanding of the doctrines we as Christians hold so dear.

#47 JohnDeereFan, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes JDF, & its gone from bad to worse. in the year 2000 I had a Pastor who would review it if you asked & mostly it would be done privately with the reading of books to get you up to speed. Now youd know more then the elders did & less than the pastor (because he be edumicated). As years go by you would see more liberalism, anybody coming is a ex catholic, rarely a former protestant or baptist. Up till today & Im shocked that only 2-3% of protestants are going to church in that community any more. even the catholics who converted , after a while, stay home. Very sad.

9. RAdam

RAdam New Member

It totally amazes me that so-called preachers typically ignore how the greatest preacher of all time went about the task of preaching the gospel. We don't see Jesus dumbing down the message or shying away from deep theology. Why, then, should we?

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From my experience there isn't too much give and take in most sermons. Sounds like you need a good small group to be part of.

That's an interesting combination of gift set and calling you are hoping for. Maybe you need to be a pastor.

Don't blame other people for not engaging with a local assembly. Seems a quick cop-out. How many churches have you been part of over the last, say, ten years?

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Don't give up on small churches. My church is small but our preacher is on fire. The largest church in my town is one I have no desire to go to and it's Baptist. I went to it last year to see their HUGE Christmas program and at the end, the pastor gave an invitation, if you can call it that, that was beyond weak. It was kind of like a Joel Osteen invitation.

Also, don't limit your choices to only reformed churches. There are a lot of God honoring, Spirit filled churches out there that aren't reformed. Mine is one of them. Our pastor doesn't preach for or against it. In fact, it's not an issue. He does preach that the Bible is the ONLY authority.

The fact that I debate Cals on the BB is strictly a personal matter. I've never learned anything about it through my church. Or maybe I just like to argue. :laugh:

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

When you're feeling distressed about a decision, it's time to stop and just listen to what God is telling you. Don't do anything right now other than to be patient and pray for guidance.
    I know it sounds too simple, but just wait until God opens a door. And He will. He won't leave you in this distressed state. Let Him show you the way. Easier said than done, but from my experience, the biggest mistakes I've ever made were because I jumped ahead of the Lord.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    3. in one case the Pastor died & they fell apart. In another the Pastor left & the church dispanded And now this guy.

#53 Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 15, 2010
  14. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Again, you need to not truncate my posts.

Who here is saying that we shouldn't be engaging in deeper theological stuff?

I'm not saying that, I don't see anyone saying that. As a pastor with a PhD I teach a systematic theology course on evenings during the week at the church where I serve. We have an intentional pathway of provoking the need for growth in people.

We choose to not use our Sunday morning platform to engage in arcane theological diatribes but to encourage and exhort believers to growth and non-believers to Christ. You have to plant a seed and cultivate it for people to see the need to grow and desire to dig deeper.

So what is your complaint? That I stated the obvious, that most Christians aren't interested in deep theological stuff?

Here's your challenge, go back and read what I've already said, consider it, and show me where I have said we shouldn't be engaging people in growth. Show me that point.

15. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Isn't it interesting that when Jesus chose to teach on significant theological principles He did so through stories?

Or He used common language of the day to communicate truth.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your advise...I do appreciate it.

17. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

This preacher simply avoided issue and said what he said in order to facilitate this. Now all of a sudden he is teaching error and not preaching the Word. Unreal. I understand why he said what he said. A guy calls you up, questions what you teach, preacher rolling eyes on other end of line, tells him what he told him, and goes on his way.

The only way to get the real scoop on this is to visit his church. Personally. And not listen to second hand gossip.

I give this preacher the benefit of the doubt. It sounds to me he is protecting his flock.

How do I say he is protecting it? Because, due to the fact you have a guy trying to determine if he should come to your church, and he will as long as he feels you are doing what he wants, then your whole entire relationship is built on doing everything that this new potential member thinks you should do, to keep said person happy.

I would pass too, on answering these things like this. He avoided a lot right there.

#57 preacher4truth, Dec 15, 2010
  18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didnt get around to asking questions except did he have a continuing edu program because this is wear I am. He filled me in on the rest. What he is telling me is fine. He doesnt have programs to further my knowledge base. He is concentrating on very young Christians . There are books in his library Im welcome to read. Period.

I need to find someone who will mentor me there down the line. Also, I am interested in reformed theology. Al Martin, before he retired, built a good solid Reformed Baptist Church & I need to go there. This is really a problem of logistics. If you want to earn chicken scratch you stay in the country but if you want to make a fine salary you need to obtain a job in the Big City. Thats very academic to where I live & always has been.

19. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Your initial attack on him after your phone call:

From this statement, to this one:

I see you have changed your mind on him, after giving it thought and after slamming him initially.

You're now drinking upstream from the herd!

20. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Isn't it interesting that people rarely understood what He preached?