1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by jacob62, Apr 14, 2005.

1. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

Why do alot of christians refer to other books instead of the bible?

MOVED OUT OF BAPTIST ONLY FORUM as O.P. is not a Baptist.

[ April 15, 2005, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: dianetavegia ]

2. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Hi Jacob, I posted a similar answer on your welcome note. I don't think a true Christian would look to anything other than the Bible for guidance. Other books (i.e. Purpose Driven Life, etc...) is just a supplement or for entertainment. Sometimes other books make the Bible easier to understand.

3. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

What about psychology?Is it in agreement with the bible?

4. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Do mean the subject in general or the practice or what? Sorry, I'm not real sure what exactly you are asking. :confused:

5. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

I mean the study of, or reliance on psychology as a christian.

6. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I'm sure you could start an active thread on that topic. As a Christian I would not ever rely on psychology but instead rely on prayer and what the Bible says. As for therapy, I think there is nothing wrong with talking about your problems as long as it is with a Christian therapist who can help point you towards scripture or ways to solve a problem in a Christian-like manner. I think there is some pshchology that is probably not very Christian-like (hypnosis for example). I can only give you simple answers. There are plenty on here who I'm sure could battle it out in a more scholorly manner with scripture to back up their opinions.

7. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

Thank you

8. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Are you an active member of a church Jacob?

9. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

I am still looking although I have visited a few.

10. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

That can be a hard task sometimes. You'll know when you find the right one.

11. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think a part of it is because we are taught to give undo respect to "experts" - if you do not have a bunch of letters behind your name, I don't have to listen to you is an attitude that is all too common. Our society overvalues education and treats anyone that doesn't have a "good" enough of one like a total idiot. While education does have its place, it is not the end all be all that it is made out to be.

12. Bookworm

Bookworm Member

Sometimes I read books other than the Bible because they tie together all the verses about a paricular subject, or give me the context behind a verse that I may not have realized in my own reading of the Bible. Some authors may even have valuable personal experiences to share that reveal how a verse may be lived out in one's life.

13. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

Thank you TC.What you said reminds me of Acts 4:13

14. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

This is true, but I have found that one can have the whole alphabet behind one's name and if there is no wisdom to go with the letters - a person is no more than an educated fool...

§ue (no letters) [​IMG]

15. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Holy Spirit dwells in every Christian, and sometimes those Christians have something useful to say and write down into books. Obviously, none are perfect.

16. P_Barnes

P_Barnes New Member

I guess that I will never truly understand why some Christians embrace anti-intellectualism.

17. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not embracing anti-intellectualism - as I am a college student. However, I am embracing balance. We don't always have to defer to the experts.

18. P_Barnes

P_Barnes New Member

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Many times the author knows more than I do.

20. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Awwww... poor Sue... with no letters after her name. :( How about Sue U. R. GR. 8 thats alot of letters and one number to boot! :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by jacob62:
    Why do alot of christians refer to other books instead of the bible?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing that I've have found is that in 1 chapter out of one book of the bible there might be several concepts to walk away with to help in everyday living. Sometimes one just verse can do the same thing.
    Have you ever read one verse and it has helped you in a certian situation. Then the next week your going through something totally different but the same scripture pops in your head and fits what you are going through? I think thats what them guys with all the letters outside their names figured out too? [​IMG]

Example:
    (1st week) Overcomming fear/ panic attacks while driving....
    Phil.4:13 I can do all thing through Christ which strengtheneth me.
    (2nd week) You get a new job because you can now drive without panic attacks...but the new job is physically hard and you need scripture to lean on...
    Phil.4:13 I can do all thing through Christ which strengtheneth me. [​IMG]

Music4Him

I'm still overcomming, but it applies in both areas.