1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by jacob62, Apr 14, 2005.

1. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

TC said:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by jacob62:
    Why do alot of christians refer to other books instead of the bible?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think a part of it is because we are taught to give undo respect to "experts" - if you do not have a bunch of letters behind your name, I don't have to listen to you is an attitude that is all too common. Our society overvalues education and treats anyone that doesn't have a "good" enough of one like a total idiot. While education does have its place, it is not the end all be all that it is made out to be.

I think you are correct. There is nothing wrong with education, but sometimes if we read "too many books", we get led astray!

We need to measure whatever we are reading with the Bible.

Peace,

Tam

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with books along with the Bible, as long as they are not "instead of."

2 Timothy 4v13

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No books "INSTEAD" of the Bible.

But what about other books ALONG WITH the Bible?

History, commentaries, doctrinal presentations etc.

If you are listening to a sermon that has any thought at all put into it - it is something other than just a verbatim reading of scripture.

What if that sermon was in book form - would you reject it?

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Because an inerrant text is useless with an inerrant explanation of it.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If the inerrant text needs to be explained "infallibly" then who will infallibly interpret the explanation and then who will infallibly interpret that interpretation...etc.

For example ... telling someone they can not read John and understand him so they have to read Clement instead. But then who will explain Clement? The Pope? Well then who will explain Pope Leo?? Pope John? Then who will explain Pope John? Pope John Paul II?

Certainly JPII has been quoted enough times here only to see the RC response be that we are not getting JPII right -- Then who will explain Pope John Paul II?

Once it is argued that we can't be trusted to read our Bibles (or God can't be trusted to guide us in reading HIS Word) the whole thing falls apart.

In Christ,

Bob

6. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Bob Ryan said:Once it is argued that we can't be trusted to read our Bibles (or God can't be trusted to guide us in reading HIS Word) the whole thing falls apart.

That is exactly why we need to pray and ask the REAL Holy Spirit to come in and interpret what we read!! :D

Peace,

Tam

7. FLMike

FLMike Guest

What about bibles with commentary? Are they out?

8. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

I think people need more books because they will not accept the bible or take it as truth.Ive come to this thinking as Ive read the posts on this board,so many positions on simple subjects.I think it might be part of the great falling away of the church in the end times.So many denominations claiming all others are false except themselves.What if we are all blind?

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

How about Sue, Daughter of THE King? A lot more impressive to me that all those PHD DMD's.

10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But isn't it incumbent upon us all to embrace truth, even when that truth does not fit our paradigm?

11. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

Pleaze Mr. Cassidy,stop usin them big wurds on me!My grade skool dictionary is holdin up the southwest corner of the trailer,and I cant git down to the library on account of my Pinto jest blew another tire.