1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Quick Question

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Steven Yeadon, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello guys and gals, I have a quick question that needs an accurate answer so I came to BB:

What is the history of Calvinism before Calvin?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought you were not going to start any more threads?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's way too many questionable assumptions in that post.

Quick answer - Before Calvin there was no Calvinism.

Long answers are best dealt with by personal research - the BB is not the place to begin

Rob

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Started with Jesus and the Apostles, in that their theology was Calvinistic in nature, and was started to be formally put down from the scriptures by Augustan. and that Calvin is not really the founder of it, as he started more of the Presbyterian branch of it, but there were several others involved in the process of getting Calvinism theology!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry for doing something frowned upon by the BB. I made a quick post hoping for a good answer to a question on church history. The reason for doing so is because the BB has given me far better church history information than google searches. I said I would make new threads only if the topic was easy, which to me means one where I don't have to get into some big discussion about a topic I do not mostly understand. This was just supposed to be a question that would lead to some reading.

6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m on my mobile device, so I don’t have full access to my Logos account. I will implore you to move last John Calvin. Read Luther’s Bondage of the Will. Research Augustine of Hippo. Calvin gets more credit than he deserves because of his “Institutes”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, yes the fight between Augustine's theology and Pelagian's theology. I remember that now with your help everyone. I want to say something shocking and controversial, but I did say I would hold back on new topics that are controversial for a time, so I won't.

9. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On this topic? You will not say anything that has not already been said.

10. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, apart from the TULIP debate, I am reading up on the Christian "heresies," and I see no reason to persecute these people. In fact, some of the supposed heretics could simply be disagreed with, as we do today on so many biblical exegesis issues, nothing more. Pelagius makes sense on the doctrine of original sin being due to being raised in sinful community for instance, while seeming to be wrong on everything else. Also, why not have disagreement on the relationship of the Son to the Father and the Spirit? The Doctrine of the Trinity does not have to be the only game in town. These are difficult issues to be sure.

11. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steven, while I admire your zeal, there is no reason to try to make sense of 2,000 years of Christian theology in a few weeks.

I suspect that your sources are largely Wikipedia. A good starting point, but you must read much more deeply before you can make judgments.

If you want to decry persecution, I can go with that. But please be aware of the historical context. A state church can persecute; we can't and shouldn't, but sometimes even state churches can reach the right answer about what is orthodox and what isn't.

As a Baptist, I believe that religion is solely between a person and God. A person cannot be coerced to have the "right" belief. Nonetheless, we have a responsibility to call a spade a spade. Some things are not just differences of opinion but are outright lies. And we must confront them, if only to tell our fellow Christians that they are on the wrong road, one that sometimes challenges the very basics of our faith.

There are many things that are debatable. Should we sing contemporary or old songs? Do we use wine or grape juice in communion? Should the pastor wear a suit?

But there are things that are black letter truth. The General Baptists in England largely disappeared into Unitarianism because of a faulty Christology. Prosperity gospel preachers flout the clear teachings of Scripture and make God a cosmic ATM machine and veer toward Gnosticism. What's left of Christianity in America is largely semi-Pelagian or even Pelagian. These things are not just differences of opinion; they hold to a view of God that is not upheld by the Bible.

I do not think you are ready for the Filoique controversy. Personally, I can accept the Chalcedonian formulation, but I see no reason to insist upon it, except as a reasonable explanation that seems to fit Scripture. You must do much more research to decide for yourself, and even then I suspect it would not be definitive. All in all, I do not think it is worth your time. The Nicene definitions will suffice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also have a bunch of books like systematic theologies and church histories with some topic specific books as well on topics like Christian apologetics and soteriology. Its just wiki presents a lot more diversity of information than my books do. Wiki makes for a great starter point for deeper research in topic specific as opposed to general texts. Augustine vs Pelagius was something I had to specifically search for though. I had a hard time finding it from the Calvinism vs Arminianism debate histories.

OK, I just have to come clean and say something I should have a long time ago.

In my zeal, I made one determination that has completely blown apart my theology as much as it was blown apart by forsaking Moderate, Charismaticism for fundamentalism. I will trust no source and neither will I praise anyone who was a church leader and was guilty of innocent blood. That is if they fail to live up to at least David's standard of repentance for such acts. Simply put, I will never agree with any action or person who willfully took the blood of others, especially spiritual family unless they had other clearly righteous deeds. I get this from what I view as a literal reading of Matthew 7:15-20. When I made this determination this meant that my church history books were good for fires and little else, as the history of the Church is replete with bloodshed and sin among its leaders.

This greatly troubled me and I tried to understand what was going on. Was the Roman Catholic Church the only one culpable? My research in church history and Western Civ history found this to be a big "no." I believe strongly in separation and in church discipline, and because of this I decided to separate myself from all church movements that have not fully repented of their grisly pasts. Only four church traditions came up as fairly clean after research: Methodists, Baptists, Anabaptists, and the Salvation Army. Then I checked their doctrine to see if it was Literalist. This chucked out the modern Methodists and the modern Salvation Army. I was left with Anabaptists and the Baptists, who have doctrines I disagree with vociferously, but whom I may be able to agree to disagree with.

That said, I do not trust Augustine's views as he was guilty of the blood of our spiritual family the Donatists and never repented. Thus, if he was the biggest name in predestination, among many other teachings, until Calvin, I do not trust that doctrine given the teacher.

I also have to say as I read David Cloud, I see more and more that he has some views I cannot agree with, but which he would likely attack me for. He has good research on many issues though.

Also, I earned 45 credits towards an MDiv several years ago at a United Methodist seminary called Asbury Theological Seminary. I did this when I was a Moderate Charismatic. I am deeply disappointed with practically my whole education now, even the kind of stuff that would be taught at a Baptist seminary, now that it seems church history mostly means "history of the church under the Enemy instead of Jesus the Christ." Systematic theology has also stopped being a nice subject, which I used to love.

13. Katarina Von Bora

Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    David Cloud is not a role model for any Christian. I have exchanged emails with him regarding his book The Modern Bible Version Hall of Shame

His book has the same Westcott and Hort lies that almost all KJVO's use. I emailed him proof of what he said in his book and asked for correction. Wonder of wonders, no change has been made. He did admit that since there was no internet then, he only had the word of others regarding Westcott and Hort.

A man who condemns others without a whit of proof, is not to be trusted, or accepted as a Christ-like model. Choose whom you will...follow. I follow the evidence. You should too. Send him and email and ask him about this matter.

14. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Studying history is a big "no no". :Biggrin

Stay away from the early church fathers.

I can trace to Genesis 3:

11And He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?” 12The man said, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me from the tree, and I ate.”

Adam practically saying God "Ordained" it.

That woman you gave me made me do it! :Laugh

#blameGod