1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Quote from signature line

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by guitarpreacher, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd like to know that too...

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

For one to accomplish this, they had to stay with the Scriptures and avoid the corrupted teaching that Jesus condemned in Mat.23--the teaching of men, the traditions of the Pharisees. The talmud, the Rabinnical teachings, were corrupted teachings--teachings such as: "if one should cross the path of a Rabbi and sneeze while doing so, he should be cursed." Now how is that Biblical? Tradition, yes; Biblical, no!

Look at the example of Timothy:
    2 Timothy 3:14-15 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
    15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
    --What things did Timothy learn and from who?
    From a child he learned the holy Sciptures, and has known them. This is what has guided him, and has made him wise unto salvation. His mother and grandmother made sure that he was taught the Scriptures. The Scriptures always came first; all other "education" was secondary in his life.

2 Timothy 1:5 When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.
    --Timothy's faith was a direct result of the teaching of his grandmother Lois, and his mother Eunice. They taught him the Scriptures--the Old Testament.

Take also the period of the Judges.
    The theme of the Book of Judges is Here:
    Judges 21:25 In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.
    --a book of lawlessness, disorder, a turning from Jehovah to idolatrous gods over and over again.

But in the midst of that period we find the story of Ruth. We find a woman, Naomi, who did not give up her faith to idols, but remained faithful to Jehovah inspite of her difficult circumstances. No matter where you look in Scripture, it is the faith of individuals who put their faith in the God of Scriptures, not in tradition or Tradition, that are victorious in their walk with God.
    You seem to be looking at Bible history through the eyes of a secular writer rather than through the eyes of God. What does Christ say:

Matthew 16:13-16 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
    14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
    15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
    16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Look at the differing opinions at who the people thought that Christ was: John the Baptist resurrected (Pilate said this), Elijah, Jeremiah, one of the other prophets. It was Nicodemus that addressed him as "Rabbi," he being one himself.
    But look at the anwer of Simon Peter:
    Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
    This is the way we also must view the history of the Bible. He wasn't just a rabbi. He was the Messiah, the Son of God, deity incarnate. It doesn't matter what the unbeleivers write about Christ. History is "His Story," rightly put. Many of the liberals of today are trying to deny that Christ even ever existed.
    Christ spoke with authority; that is true. And that is what the people needed to hear. Those who heard him sincerely became his followers. Those who were envious of that authority eventually crucified him.
    This is wrong. Scripture has always been interpreted by the light of other Scripture. Even Philip did that with the book of Isaiah. Using Isaiah he preached unto him Jesus. He didn't use Tradition. He used Scripture, and only Scripture. He explained through the Scriptures the Gospel message of Christ, which can be found in almost every book of the Bible.

Luke 24:26-27 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
    27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
    Did Jesus use Tradition?
    --"Beginning at Moses and all the prophets he expounded unto them in all the Scriptures..." See the example of Jesus. Here is the perfect example of sola scriptura. What about the sufferings of Christ; his death and resurrection. Jesus went through all the prophecies in the OT related to them on that long walk to Emmaus, 7 and a half miles away from Jerusalem from which they were traveling.
    The only means that God gave the church for "new information" or revelation was the spiritual gifts mentioned in 1Cor.13:8. There are other spiritual gifts, but these ones, specifically had to do with revelation and were given to the church for the purpose you mentioned until the end of the first century, when the canon was finished with the completion of the Book of Revelation by John (98 A.D.)

1 Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
    Prophecy, tongues, (revelatory) knowledge would all cease; come to an end. And they did at the end of the first century when the canon of Scripture was completed. These gifts had fulfilled their purpose by that time. They were no longer needed and thus ceased to be. Then the canon of Scripture was closed.
    God has never ordained that Tradition be used as a method of revelation. He has never ordained that Tradition be used as a method of preserving His Word. We don't find that teaching in Scripture.

Concerning the dates of the Scripture themselves.
    James and Matthew are two of the earlies books both written around 50 AD
    Paul's epistles (13 in number) were written between 55 and 67 (the approximate time of his death.
    Jude was written in 70 AD, as was one other book.
    All of John's writings were written in the 90's
    However, one can see that 80-90 percent of the Bible was completed before 70 A.D. My analogy still stands. It is still not enough time to develop "tradition" or what the RCC considers to be tradition.
    Peter refers to Paul's writing.
    Paul refers to Peter (in Galatians)
    The oral teaching was done from the Scriptures that they did have. Was it necessary for them to have the Book of Revelation in order for them to teach and preach from the rest of the NT? No.
    Paul did refer to the virgin birth. Where did he get that teaching from?
    He also quoted words directy from the Lord Jesus Christ in Scripture such as:

1 Corinthians 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
    --Exact words of Jesus, quoted from Paul. Where did he get them from?

The simple answer is found here:
    2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    --He was inspired of God.
    The words came from God himself: Again you tend to look at things from a secular point of view rather than from God's point of view.
    Here again is what God says about His own Book:

2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
    The book written by Ellen G. White, which the SDA's use an "another source of authority," in their religion.

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yet in the same chapter I find this quote:
    So, not so much a condemnation of their teachings in as much as their action. They taught Oral tradition but didn't even follow the Law they were attempting to protect. Which brings this verse into focus:

They are hypocrites because they don't follow their own teaching. Jesus isn't saying something about oral tradition as much as he saying how its being taught and not followed. Thus the word hypocrite. That word can only be used against someone who is presenting themselves as one thing and doing another. Pretty straight forward I would say. Which makes this verse the key point of what Jesus is getting at with Oral Tradition
    So follow the important part of the Law without negleting the other aspect.

The book of Judges does show lawlessness but the verse you quoted has nothing to do with Oral verses writen tradition. It is a statment that no matter how the law was presented these people did what they wanted to any way.

is a fuller quote from 2 Tim 3. What you get is that Paul is pointing out to Timothy the cost of wanting to live rightly; persecution. However, Paul is saying that his having study grants him wisdom with regard to salvation. This verse is inadiquate to the debate because no one is saying Scripture is not inspired and truthful. It doesn't mention only scripture was taught to Timothy. But that Scriptures was taught.
    I am not secular. I have faith. However, I try to look at scripture critically or scientifically. I believe the word of God has nothing to fear from men having a critical look at scripture. What does Christ say? Many things but he does a wonderful job Summing up scripture 1) Love God 2) love your Neighbor which all the law hangs on.
    Well, look at all the differing opinions of Just baptist. But the Key of the verse is that it was revealed to Peter that Jesus was the Son of the Living God. This again has nothing to do with Oral tradition.

He is Messiah. He is also a Rabbi and followed the Jewish culture at that time of itenerant Rabbis. So? This again has nothing to do with oral tradition.

Which actually proves my point. You're saying it backwards. The Eunich wanted to know how to interpret Isaiah. Phillip explained that it could be understood in light of Jesus. Not the otherway round. here
    He explained scripture in the light of Jesus not the otherway round. Scripture supported his claims about Jesus.

I have a question for you where is this prophesy (Matthew 2:23) found in the OT?
    Can it be a prophesy passed on by Oral Tradition?

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

They were hypocrites because they disregarded the law and taught as the law, the traditions of men, which Jesus condemned. Take a look at another passage which is far more clear on the subject:

Mark 7:6-9 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
    7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
    8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do. And he said unto them,
    9 Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
    --Jesus outright condemns their traditions. They were replacing the commandment of God, the law of God with their own tradition. It was the height of hypocrisy.
    You have referred to Mat.23:23 and have taken it out of context.
    People often use this verse in defense of tithing.
    What was Jesus saying here? The Pharisees were keeping a part of the law: tithing--in fact they tithed in all that they had: anise, cummin, and other produce that they may have gained. But, Jesus said, you have left out the weightier things of the law: judgment, mercy. These also keep. He was referring to two different aspects of the law written in the OT. Not once was he referring to tradition of any kind.

Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
    --It wasn't intended to show tradition. It was intended to show that even in times of lawlessness Godly individuals (such as Naomi) still followed the Lord her God, and she followed Him as she was taught by the Scripture that she had available to her at that time. If she went according to tradition perhaps she too would have ended up in an ungodly lifestyle. It is the Scripture that give us the authority and the moral guidelines to keep us walking the way we need to walk, not tradition.
    The quotes given from this chapter were given to demonstrate that Timothy was taught from the inspired Word of God, the Scriptures. We need not quote the rest of the chapter or book. The point was aptly made. The synagogues were inter-testamental institutions built in a time when there was no Temple for the purpose of teaching the Scriptures (primarily) to the Jewish people. Every community of Jews, therefore had a synagogue. They were primarily for instruction, teaching, not for worship. Their primary mode of teaching was the Scriptures, not tradition. The Scriptures quoted from Timothy give ample evidence of this.
    One can be a Christian and still look at things with a worldly or secular outlook. In fact many Christians fall into such a trap. The Bible was not meant to be looked at "scientifically" as such. We are to study in it in depth, it is true. But when we come to the Scripture we must come prayerfully looking at it with the illumination that only the Holy Spirit gives; not with the worldly wisdom of the critical mind of the world.

1 Corinthians 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
    --God gives the beliver enlightenment because of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
    --The natural mind (unsaved) can't even understand the things of God. They try to look at the Bible from an entirely different point of view.
    The source of our authority is God, not tradition; is Scripture, not tradition; is the Written Word, not tradition; is from the Holy Spirit, not tradition.
    1. Jesus was not itinerant.
    2. Jesus did not follow the Jewish culture of the day.
    3. He came to do "the will of his father. He always pleased his father.
    He did not come to please men, to conform to this world, to conform to the culture in which he lived in; no. He came to proclaim a message, verify that message through signs and wonders, which also verified who he was (God incarnate), and then submit to the Father, and die for our sins. In no way is that remotely similar to an itinirant rabbi or similar to Jewish culture. In contrast to Jewish culture, Jesus was a rebel and a revolutionary. He went totally against the culture in many different ways. But most of all: He came to die.
    I don't understand what your point is here. Basically I have quoted to you almost word for word what the Bible said, and you say: No that is not what it means. In other words you say the Bible means something other than what it says. I would rather believe what the Bible actually says, than your interpretation of what it says.
    It plainly says:

Acts 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
    He began at the same Scripture (Isaiah) and preached unto him Jesus. It was not the other way around. Scripture means what it says.
    No I don't believe so. Here is what Barnes says on that passage:

5. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It seems that you and Barnes are doing the very thing you've accused me of. Primarily, conjecture:
    Might as well put maybe in there instead of probably.
    Yeah, yet you claim that Jesus fulfilled the Law but wasn't following the Jewish Culture? Did he wear blue Jeans too? :laugh:

Again speculation on your part. And in what way was being a rebel not Jewish? You ever hear of Masada or Zelots or Bar Kokhba?
    My point was that both were considered to be from God in the Jewish culture and the early christian culture. Not that they replaced God's word.
    This reminds me of a Pentecostal preacher I once heard in Florida (Lakeland) who said the problem with people today is they are too educated. Somehow that sound to me like the Catholics locking up Galileo for saying that the earth was not the center of the Universe. Paul was very educated and used his education to promote christianity. No trap. You say we don't look at it scientifically but I bet you say the earth was made in 6 days and so you are looking at is scientifically. Boy "whats good for the goose is good for the gander." BTW Barnes really seems to be reaching for straws. Here is another one:1Corinthians 10:1-5
    Where did Paul get that the Rock from Meribah moved with them? The OT?