1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Quotes From The Institutes

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will post some of Calvin's thoughts here . He was human and subject to fallibility . So you are welcome to challenge anything . But he is not to be lightly dismissed . I will give the book , chapter , and section number at the end of each quote . By the way, these quotes will deal with predestination .

We shall never be clearly persuaded , as we ought to be , that our salvation flows from the wellspring of God's free mercy until we come to know his eternal election , which illumines God's grace by this contrast : that he does not indiscriminarely adopt all into the hope of salvation but gives to some what he denies to others . How much the ignorance of this principle detracts from God's glory , how much it takes away from true humility . ( 3.21.1 --- no it's not a star date )

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We call predestination God's eternal degree , by which he determined with himself what he willed to become of each man . For all are not created in equal condition ; rather , eternal life is foreordained for some , eternal damnation for others . Therefore , as any man has been created to one or the other of these ends , we speak of him as predestinated to life or to death . ( 3.21.5 )

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But since he foresees future events only by reason of the fact that he decreed that they take place , they vainly raise a quarrel over foreknowledge , when it is clear that all things take place rather by his determination and bidding . ( 3:23.6)

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We assert that , with respect to the elect , this plan was founded upon his freely given mercy , without regard to human worth ; but by his just and irreprehensible but incomprehensible judgment he has barred the door of life to those whom he has given over to damnation . ( 3.21.7)

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

And THIS is the basis of Hyper-Calvinism or better its very crux.

God determines what He willed to BECOME of each man. Since we see nothing pertaining to fall of man this 'decreeing' is even before the fall. The very wording in the Calvinistic tenor of predestination show that Calvin (at that time) held God created some for heaven and some for Hell base on "His" choice because He would not create them 'all' in an equal condition.

This is why I am thankful that when Calvin wrote His commentaries His veiw had changed. See the following pertaining specifically (for this point at least) that Christ died for All mankind according to Calvin later in his life:
    Just to go over a few and additionally for a note of interest. :thumbsup:

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Pure philosophical teaching as he doesn't substantiate it with any scriptures, ever!

Much of his view in this area IS philosophy and not biblical, but guess work which was introduced into his theology help hold this system together. Nothing wrong with that per-say but we should never hold and unknown as a solid biblical truth by which we 'establish' doctrine on it.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Here is a clear breaking point between what Calvin wrote in his "Institutes" verses in his "Commentaries".

Christ died ONLY for the Elect - vs - (Later in his life) Christ died for the World.

But His blood only effectually atones for those who believe.

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

There is nothing wrong with this statement.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

After reading MANY posts about Calvinism, this is my conclusion. I thank God that the Bible is my final authority and not the writings of Calvin or anyone else. Why are some so proud to say "I'm a Calvinist?" I'm proud to say "I'm a Christian".

1 Corinthians 1:12 Now I say this, that each of you says, "I am of Paul, or I am of Apollos, or I am of Cephas, or I am of Christ."
    13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

The same could be said of Calvin. Am I of Calvin?

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

Covenant theology. An "invention." No such covenant is mentioned in scripture. The premise is flawed in that God doesn't have to covenant with Himself -- He is totally beleiveable and trustworthy and totally capable of granting Himself anything He chooses!

Sorry, whoever came up with such a theory was thinking like man thinks, not like God would.

skypair

11. skypair

skypair Active Member

Mere sophistry, my friend. Would Calvin be saying that God CAN'T foreknow anything unless He controls it? Does this make God out to be a "control freak?"

C'mon. Let's talk about CHRIST, not Calvin, OK?

skypair

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ is the upholder of the universe . Nothing subsists , nothing exists without His Divine direction . Nothing is an absolute term . Be more Calvinistic and you will be more biblical .

As an afterthought ( only Christ has FOREknowledge ) --- this thread deals with Calvin's Institutes . Christ is front-and-center in the same .

#12 Rippon, Jan 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2007
  13. skypair

skypair Active Member

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SP , Matthew 24:36 is speaking oif Christ as the Son of man, not the Son of God . As the Son of God He of course knows all , and purposes all . In the Matthew passage Christ was doing the work as the Mediator as both Gofd and Man -- knowing the time of His next apearing concerned the work of the Father .

But your question was meant as a diversion . The point is that Christ is indeed the sustainer of the universe . He is preeminent over all creation . This is developed more in Colossians 1:15-20 and Hebrews chapters 1 and 2 .

And , may I say , Calvin's business was explaining the words of Christ , the apostles and prophets . You have the freedom to ignore him if you wish . The Lord has had many servants who have undertaken to explore God's Word for our benefit . But be selective as well .