1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Quotes on Missions & Evangelism

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by John of Japan, Jun 12, 2008.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

"If I had not felt certain that every additional trial was ordered by infinite love and mercy, I could not have survived my accumulated sufferings." - A. Judson

Anyone who is familiar with his life, knows the sufferings he endured for the sake of the glory of the Gospel in Burma. My God grant us that kind of trust in a merciful and sovereign God that others might know the joy of salvation.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post, 4His_glory. Thank you.

"He who goes out to set the world on fire will soon come back for more matches."--Missionary Eugene Gurganis.

3. nunatak

nunatak New Member

We don't need a calling, we need a kick in the seat of the pants.--Jim Eliot

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, nunatak. I was wondering when someone would get around to quoting Elliot. He had a way with words.

Of course, Jim Elliot's most famous quote is: "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."

5. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Oh, I didn't know he said that. He really understood what it meant.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "One of the cardinal sins of preachers is preaching the Gospel as though it weren't the most interesting thing in the world."--James Duffecy

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "A call is a command personified."--Missionary Eugene Gurganis

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Your love has a broken wing if it cannot fly across the ocean."--unknown missionary

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "If you are going to Americanize the people, you are not going to evangelize them."--unknown missionary

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Missions is God's business, and I believe we ought to make God's business our business."--Richard Rawls

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

"The highest of missionary motives is neither obedience to the Great Commission (important as that is), nor love for sinners who are alienated and perishing (strong as that incentive is, especially when we contemplate the wrath of God), but rather zeal- burning and passionate zeal-for the glory of Jesus Christ. Only one imperialism is Christian... and that is concern for His Imperial Majesty Jesus Christ, and for the glory of his empire." -John Stott.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great quote, 4His_glory. Thanks!

"For God so loved the world that He didn't send a committee."--Curtis Hutson.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Preachers are not to tell people where to get off, but where to get on."--Raymond Barber

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And now for a little humor. Pastor Clyde Box once said to a sinner, "I led seven souls to Christ and all of 'em died in one year. Wouldn't you like to be saved?" The man answered, "Not by you!!" :laugh:

15. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

If there be any one point in which the Christian church ought to keep its fervour at a white heat, it is concerning missions to the heathens. If there be anything about which we cannot tolerate lukewarmness, it is in the matter of sending the gospel to a dying world. - C.H. Spurgeon

The missionary enterprise, apart from supernatural influences, is the most insane
    that ever crossed the mind of man. Yea, I will venture to say, that the work of
    preaching the gospel, even in Christian England, is of all attempts the most foolish, unless we believe in the celestial power, which alone can make preaching to be of any avail. - Spurgeon

Every Christian here is either a missionary or an impostor. -Spurgeon

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

May the Lamb that was slain receive the reward of His sufferings.
    - The motto of the Moravian missionaries.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great quotes, folk. Thank you!

"Every Christian is a soldier, every church is an armory, and every opportunity is a field."--Tom Freeney

18. Manny Rodriguez

Manny Rodriguez New Member

When being tried before the Judge for preaching without a license, John Bunyan said:

"I have never attended services in the Church of England, nor do I intend ever to do so. Secondly, it is no secret that I preach the Word of God whenever, wherever, and to whomever he pleases to grant me oppurtunity to do so."

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "In the vast plain to the north I have sometimes seen, in the morning sun, the smoke of a thousand villages where no missionary has ever been."--famous quote by Robert Moffat, pioneer missionary to Africa.

Here on our island of Hokkaido, I could take you to dozens of villages and even cities with not only no Baptist churches, but no Gospel preaching churches at all. I have a Japanese pastor friend who often asks me, "Do you know of any missionaries who can come to my city and help me?" Anyone who thinks the task is over and we can turn the whole thing over to the nationals needs to lift their eyes to the fields, which are white to harvest.

I head out for three days of camp today with seven other churches on our island. Please pray for me if you think of it--they made me the director, a job for which I have no confidence or experience, only the Lord to help me.