1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

R.C. Sproul On Regeneration In Dispensationalism and The Definition of This Theology

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Bernard Pyron, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Bernard Pyron

Bernard Pyron New Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    R.C. Sproul On Regeneration In Dispensationalsm

While Francis Schaeffer's books are a source for understanding and teaching for what Protestant Christianity is, he tends not to get into an explicit criticism of dispensationalism. But R.C. Sproul has been explicit in his criticism of dispensatonalism - https://www.theaquilareport.com/r-c-sproul-dispensationalism-brought-us-the-carnal-christian-the-sinners-prayer-and-more-antinomianism/ -

“They asked me, ‘R.C., what’s your problem with dispensationalism? And I said, You know, my biggest problem with dispensationalism is your historic doctrine of regeneration.’ And that was met with bewilderment. These professors said, ‘What are you talking about? What’s our problem with regeneration?’”

I said, “Well, classic dispensationalism teaches that when the Holy Spirit regenerates a person, that person does not experience a change in their nature. So that you can have the Spirit in you, and you be in a state of salvation, without any change in your life whatsoever. "

When I first found this Forum today I looked over some comments on what is dispensationalism. Dispensationalists may have their own definitions of dispensationalism, and defenders of the New Testament may have in part some definitions of dispensationalism that dispensationalists want to avoid. For example, those defending the New Testament may point out that the Founders of dispensationalisnm taught that God now has two different groups of the elect, Israel and the Church, and Israel and the Church always remain separated one from another.

The Church is made up of many races. But Israel, or "all Israel," as in Romans 11: 26, the Multitude, is implied by the Founders to be the physical descendants of Abraham.

"Israel is an eternal nation, heir to an eternal land, with an eternal kingdom, on which David rules from an eternal throne so that in eternity, '...never the twain, Israel and church, shall meet." Lewis S. Chafer, Systematic Theology (Dallas, Dallas Seminary Press, 1975), Vol. 4. pp. 315-323.."

What do Chafer and other Founders of dispensationalism, like Ryrie and Pentecost,. mean by Israel? The question is whether one enters Israel, becomes an Israelite, by physical birth or by faith in Jesus Christ? In the Old Testament entry into Israel was by physical birth; but in the New Testament entry into the elect of God, the Body of Christ, is by faith. I suspect that here is a point that dispensationalists want to avoid, and will try to shift any argument, discussion or definition of dispensationalism away into some other focus.

The dispensationalists need to shift the issue or definition of dispensationalism away from entry into Israel by physical birth and entry into the Body of Christ by faith - because the New Testament does not support the dispensationalist claim that now, God has two different peoples and two different programs. Over and over Paul teaches that Jewish Believers and Gentile Believers are united in one new group. In Ephesians 2: 15 Paul says that of the two, Jews and Gentiles, the blood of Christ creates One New Man, so making peace between the two, Jews and Gentiles.

Then, the New Testament in II Corinthians 3: 7-11, in Hebrews 8: 13, and in Hebrews 10: 9 says that the Old Covenant was done away with. How can there be Old Covenant Israel as one group of the elect in the New Covenant time? If a defender of the New Testament doctrines defines dispensationalism as being a theology which postulates that the Old Covenant was not done away with, dispensationalists have to find a way to argue against this or shift the argument over to something else.

#1 Bernard Pyron, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Glad to have you here Bernard Pyron.

My dispensational friend always says about this:

"In Ephesians 2: 15 Paul says that of the two, Jews and Gentiles, the blood of Christ creates One New Man, so making peace between the two, Jews and Gentiles."

is that the Jews Paul is talking about here are New Testament Jews who had experienced "the new birth" in the same way the Gentiles had.

3. Bernard Pyron

Bernard Pyron New Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Romans 12: 2 says "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

John 3: 6-7 says "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
    7. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again."

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. " II Corinthians 5: 17

Galatians 6: 14-15 "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
    16. And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God."

And Colossians 1: 27 tells us "To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: "

4. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Nice verses but please explain to me how that answers only NT time Jewish believers are included in the body of Christ.

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They believe Israel is the earthly people, and the Church is the heavenly people.

6. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "'Tis ordinarily said, that the Jews were a typical people, the whole divine economy toward them is doctrinal and instructive to us, not immediately or literally, but by way of Anagogy" - Henry Hammond
    Church And Israel

Excellent informative and thought provoking post Benard, and welcome to the BB.

The scriptural motif is clear. We're children of Zion because we're supernaturally born from above into it:

26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, which is our mother. Gal 4

3 Jesus answered and said to him, `Verily, verily, I say to thee, If any one may not be born from above, he is not able to see the reign of God;`
    5 Jesus answered, `Verily, verily, I say to thee, If any one may not be born of water, and the Spirit, he is not able to enter into the reign of God;
    7 `Thou mayest not wonder that I said to thee, It behoveth you to be born from above;
    8 the Spirit where he willeth doth blow, and his voice thou dost hear, but thou hast not known whence he cometh, and whither he goeth; thus is every one who hath been born of the Spirit. Jn 3

13 who -- not of blood nor of a will of flesh, nor of a will of man but -- of God were begotten. Jn 1

We're doers of the law because the law has been supernaturally written upon our hearts:

13 for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified:
    14 (for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves;
    15 in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them); Ro 2

We're true Jews because of the supernatural circumcision not made with hands:

29 but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God. Ro 2

Our faith in Christ is a fruit of our spiritual birth from above, not the other way around.

8. Bernard Pyron

Bernard Pyron New Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    There was no Body of Christ in Old Testament times, although there was a Remnant of Israel. See Isaiah 10: 22-23, Romans 9: 27 and Hebrews Chapter 11

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and you say that with such confidence. Christ had a people from both the Jews and the Gentiles prior to the cross:

1 For I would not, brethren, have you ignorant, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
    2 and were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
    3 and did all eat the same spiritual food;
    4 and did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of a spiritual rock that followed them: and the rock was Christ. 1 Cor 10

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice: and they shall become one flock, one shepherd. Jn 10

26 even the mystery which hath been hid for ages and generations: but now hath it been manifested to his saints,
    27 to whom God was pleased to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Col 1

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I was taught that at first also.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The clash between Lordship Salvation and free grace!

12. Bernard Pyron

Bernard Pyron New Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    What does Acts 1 to 4 teach about the appearing of the Holy Spirit and the Enthronement of Christ in Acts 1 to 4? Although there was a remnant of Israel before Acts 1 to 4, and some examples of faith by the Jews, in Hebrews 11, Acts 1 to 4 shows how the appearing of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2: 1-47 created, by the power of the resurrection, and through the power of the Holy Spirit, that spiritual regeneration which made the spread of the Gospel possible in the First century, among the Jewish Remnant first and soon among believing Gentiles. The focus must then be on Christ. his Gospel and the Holy Spirit rather than upon an argument about transformed believers appearing before that time. Don't focus on the argument, but on Christ.

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Through the first 13 chapters of Acts the Holy Spirit through the testimony of His witnesses consistently convicts the Jews of the judicial murder of Christ:

Acts 2:
    …. they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance…Ye men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth… ye by the hand of lawless men did crucify and slay…God hath made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom ye crucified. Acts 2:4,22,23,36

Acts 3:
    …Peter… answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel… his Servant Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied before the face of Pilate, when he had determined to release him… ye denied the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted unto you, and killed the Prince of lifewhereof we are witnesses. Acts 3:12-15

Acts 4:
    Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders… be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified… Acts 4:8,10

Acts 5:
    … they set them before the council…. ye have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and intend to bring this man`s blood upon us…. Peter and the apostles answered and said… The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew, hanging him on a treewe are witnesses of these things; and so is the Holy Spirit Acts 5:27,28,29,30,32

Acts 6 & 7:
    …there arose certain of them that were of the synagogue called the synagogue of the Libertines, and of the Cyrenians, and of the Alexandrians, and of them of Cilicia and Asia, disputing with Stephen. And they were not able to withstand the wisdom and the Spirit by which he spake….Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Spirit: as your fathers did, so do ye. Which of the prophets did not your fathers persecute? and they killed them that showed before of the coming of the Righteous One; of whom ye have now become betrayers and murderers; Acts 6:9,10; Acts 7:51,52

Acts 10:
    we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the country of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom also they slew, hanging him on a tree…. Him God raised up the third day, and gave him to be made manifest, not to all the people, but unto witnesses that were chosen before of God, even to us, who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. And he charged us to preach unto the people, and to testify that this is he who is ordained of God to be the Judge of the living and the dead. Acts 10: 39-42

Acts 13:
    …Paul stood up, and beckoning with the hand said, Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, hearken…they that dwell in Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath, fulfilled them by condemning him. And though they found no cause of death in him, yet asked they of Pilate that he should be slain. And when they had fulfilled all things that were written of him, they took him down from the tree, and laid him in a tomb. But God raised him from the dead: and he was seen for many days of them that came up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are now his witnesses unto the people. Acts 13:16,27-31

• Like Like x 2
  14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Zion feminine does she give birth to her children?

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalms 87

16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ! Peter 2:6-8 Wherefore, also, it is contained in the Writing: 'Lo, I lay in Zion a chief corner-stone, choice, precious, and he who is believing on him may not be put to shame;' to you, then, who are believing is the preciousness; and to the unbelieving, a stone that the builders disapproved of, this one did become for the head of a corner, and a stone of stumbling and a rock of offence -- who are stumbling at the word, being unbelieving, -- to which also they were set;

Acts 3:10,11 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Would it be correct to say that Jesus of Nazareth was the first child Zion birthed?

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Child of Zion = child of God. It's a metaphor perch.

18. Quantrill

Quantrill Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am dispensational in my beliefs concerning the Bible.

There isn't Old Covenant Israel and New Covenant Church at this time. There is only the Church. The believing Jews at this time are part of the Church, not Old Covenant Israel.

When one exercises faith, he does not enter Israel. He becomes part of the Church. The believing Jew is indeed an Israelite, but he becomes part of the Church. The believing Gentile, doesn't become a Jew or Israelite. He becomes part of the Church, a saved Gentile.

Quantrill

19. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cannot be born-again, be a new creation indwelled by the Holy Spirit and not have change take place in your lifestyle. The statement that Sproul attributes to dispensationalist (or is it his) is heretical.

[2Co 5:17 ESV] 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
    [Col 3:10 ESV] 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.

Can anyone supply a credible resource to support his accusation?

I identify as a dispensationalist since my rebirth in 1960. I have never, until now, heard such heresy expressed.

In my experience, God, the Holy Spirit, has not to this day, stopped making me aware of my need to make changes in my life to become more like Christ.

Praise God!!