1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Racial Evolution 101.1

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by jcrawford, Mar 26, 2004.

1. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

I see where you are quoting, I'd guess out of context, where we cannot draw a single path back through the ancestors we have. But I do not see anything about this leading scientists to abandon the use of these fossils. I do not even see any evidence that this is a problem.

2. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

So why have a separate genus for Homos?

You're playing a shell game with bones.

3. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Beacause there are 5 different genera of apes. The ape characteristics are back at the family level. When you include the primate characteristics, you are back at the level of order. But, there has been talk of moving the chimps to the same order as humans, but I do not think it really matters.

The point, which you did not deny, is that you fulfill all of the physical requirements to be called an ape. Therefore you ARE an ape. No shell game is required.

4. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Well, all right. You win. I guess it did take me a while to respond but I just didn't think that anyone on the BaptistBoard would be the kind of person who got a kick out of calling people apes.

I guess you made a monkey out of me.

5. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

No insult intended.

The literalist often insist that we are made in the physical image of God as a reason that we cannot have evolved. I don't believe God is an ape. But we are. Therefore the literal meaning is not what is intended. Instead, we are given a soul, which makes us in the image of God and differentiates us from the apes.

Once you get someone started down the road of saying we are not apes you can sometimes either get them in the laughable postion that we are not even alive or the equally laughable that we are not apes but that we are, take your pick for where they draw the line, mammals, animals, etc.

6. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Your parents and my parents had a lot more in common biologically than either of them had with apes but does that make me a blood relative of yours?

Apes and humans are only classified physiologically and structurally as mammals and primates so it is not taxonomically accurate to call humans apes or to call apes human because we both have a separate genus in the Family of Hominidae. You're no more an ape than you are a Neandertal.

7. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

That does not make any sense. So foxes are not canines because they are in a different genus than wolves. Well, for that matter, neither are all wolves grouped into Canis. There are ten genera in Canidae but we still call them all canines.

The grouping of apes is done at the family level, not the genus level. It does not matter that we are in different genera. We are just as much ape as a chimp or gorilla. How can you accept that we are mammals and primates without tacking on the extra couple of characterists that also make you an ape?

You are right about one think. I am not a Neanderthal. That was a separate species.

8. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Jcrawford: Just as humans can be mammals and humans at the same time, and can be chordates and humans at the same time, so can we be apes and humans at the same time.

9. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

You can call your dogs, wolves and foxes anything you like but you can't go around calling humans apes without suffering some serious repercussions.

What about the Australopithicines? They are a genus of Hominidae. They're certainly not human.
    If it does not matter to you that humans are in different genera than 'Lucies' no wonder you think you're an ape.

I'm not a mammal or a primate. Biologists are.

What makes you think Neandertal Man was a separate species? He's one of my ancestors.

10. jcrawford

jcrawford New Member

Maybe you can but I neither have schizophrenia nor multiple personalites.

Biologists are only human, you know, and none of us are perfect.