1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Radioactive dating

Discussion in 'Creation vs. Evolution' started by church mouse guy, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who does this and how do you know that is their motivation?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK yes, so there can be tribalism in the tension between theology and science.
    It doesn't have to be war.

Faith versus the scientific imperatives (Hypothesis,Theory, Law).

Many atheist/agnostic folks are now accepting the theory of intelligent design (ID).
    Do a google.

Here is a good place of common ground to have discussions with your friends of the other "tribe".
    Irreducible Complexity (IC) - research it, scan the web for "examples of irreducible complexity"

you don't need to be a brain surgeon (but it would help).
    then present it to your other tribe friends.

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Creation science websites. ICR, AIG.

Their twisting of the truth is very easy to see if you look at their sources. They state their motivations on their websites.

The Big Bang

AIG states right off the bat that the Big Bang is based on naturalism and secularism when lemaitre, the discoverer of the Big Bang was a catholic who believes the opposite.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK you have not proven you know their motivation. It appears that you have assigned this motivation so as to place them in the worst possible light. Further, your constant misuse of the word "tribalism" does you no good toward your credibility.

5. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes. I am very aware of ID and irreducible complexity for over 20 years. And while I agree with the more general premise of complexity and creation as a whole pointing to an intelligent designer, I disagree with their belief that the mathematical concept of irreducible complexity (which is more philosophical than mathematical) is somehow proof of that and that the complexity could not have arisen via natural selection (theistic or non theistic). I applaud their effort, however flawed their conclusion may be.

6. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Their motivation is understandable and apparent. To attack something they believe to be a challenge to theistic creation. Unfortunately that belief is a falsehood.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am quite sure at this point it is what you want it to be but that doesn't make it truth.

8. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do you get all this tribe stuff? You seem to be saying that if you belong to a certain ethnic group, you think a certain way. That is like the old idea that you can tell a criminal by the shape of his head. No one remembers the history of Big Bang but it is true that some major scientists find it to be illogical. And it does contradict Scripture.

9. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The word tribe used to refer only to ethnic groups but is now used more genericly to refer to a group of people who share culture, beliefs, customs, identities. The concept of online digital tribes may be helpful as most of the groups we are talking about rarely actually meet in person but communicate online with each other.

Tribe (Internet) - Wikipedia

The concept of tribalism is loyalty to the tribe. Loyalty is a good thing that builds trust in communities and allows them to work together to achieve more than they could alone. However it can also be a bad thing in how it perceives and treats outsiders.

10. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not sure why you think it isn't true as it is explicitly stated in their website. They believe the Big Bang Theory comes from naturalistic philosophy that removes God from creation. Isn't that what you believe too?

Are you saying that they believe the Big Bang Theory is compatible with the Bible? If that is the case then great. That is my view too as well as the view of its originator George's Lemaitre.

However that is not AiG's view as stated on their website. That is the reason they attack the Big Bang Theory.

#30 Gold Dragon, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  11. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eric Lerner, Big Bang Never Happened, has about 400 scientist in agreement with him according to Dr. Mortensen.

American scientists are under intense pressure to conform. At stake is employment, tenure, and ability to be published. That may explain why Australians have been a little freer to express contrary scientific views.

12. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it scientifically possible for radioactive dating to lead to radar love?

So, what's the source of the statement that studies of the Mt. ST. Helen's eruption showed radioactive dating of 1500 years?

13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Misapplication of radioactive dating is bad science.

14. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello all,

Wow, no scientists here. . .

You have to be careful about newspapers and magazines such as Scientific American. They love to post fake news about physics.

The speed of light is “slower” in different mediums. It why your glasses work. Basically, the light interacts with the atoms of the medium and the light has to wait for the interaction to complete to continue its journey.

Scientists didn’t try to prove that the speed of light was constant. In trying to find Newton’s Ether, they tried to find the relation of the Earth to this Ether. They repeated the experiment every way possible and only found one result - the speed of light is constant in vacuum.

It was the first fundamental constant measured. What you may not understand is not only is the speed of constant - it has to be constant. If the speed of light changes, everyone dies. Its more catastrophic than that, but I don’t want to get into the details. Space and time will actually bend and warp to keep the speed of light in vacuum constant.

God has set the speed of light and it’s not going to change unless He either performs a “miracle” defying the current laws of his creation or He really wants to mess things up.

Marty

15. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The answer to your first question seems to be yes, radioactive dating does lead to radar love, love at first sight!

On the second question, here is some info of how ten-year-old rocks from Mt. St. Helen's tested millions of years old:

It is clear that radioisotope dating is not the ‘gold standard’ of dating methods, or ‘proof’ for millions of years of Earth history. When the method is tested on rocks of known age, it fails miserably. The lava dome at Mount St Helens is not a million years old! At the time of the test, it was only about 10 years old. In this case we were there—we know! How then can we accept radiometric-dating results on rocks of unknown age? This challenges those who promote the faith of radioisotope dating, especially when it contradicts the clear eyewitness chronology of the Word of God.

Sample Age / millions of years
    1 Whole rock 0.35 ± 0.05
    2 Feldspar, etc. 0.34 ± 0.06
    3 Amphibole, etc. 0.9 ± 0.2
    4 Pyroxene, etc. 1.7 ± 0.3
    5 Pyroxene 2.8 ± 0.6

Radio-dating in Rubble - creation.com

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    true Scientific American had scant proof for their article but then neither do you Marty.

17. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seriously,

Did you read my post? I gave you tons of of evidence. I can’t even find your article.

Marty

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    evidence? - you said - "I don’t want to get into the details.".

The Scientific American article I mentioned is about 20 years old. One of my sons and i subscribed,
    I am a pack rat and possibly I have that issue somewhere I'll look on occasion.

Here is another article

Speed of Light May Not Be Constant, Physicists Say

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have NO way to know if the speed of light was always the same, and we do knwo extreme gravity can do strange things to it...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The main reasons things get dated to what they do is the bias towards it must be that age!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.