1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rand Paul: "Experts say he has a legitimate shot at winning the Senate seat"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Nov 11, 2009.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ron Paul's son borrows tactics for Ky. Senate bid
    By ROGER ALFORD (AP) – 6 hours ago

FRANKFORT, Ky. — Former presidential candidate Ron Paul's son is borrowing a page from his father's playbook for his U.S. Senate bid, leaning heavily on Internet fundraising and tapping the enthusiasm of young Republicans on college campuses.

The difference this time is that it could actually work. Eye surgeon Rand Paul, once ignored as a longshot, raised more than his main 2010 GOP primary opponent in the most recent fundraising period, and experts say he has a legitimate shot at winning the Senate seat being vacated by colorful Republican Jim Bunning.

"On some levels, it's more than a grass roots campaign," said Western Kentucky University political scientist Scott Lasley. "It's a guerrilla campaign. It's not the easiest to compete against."

Paul is doing traditional outreach through direct mail and the mainstream media, but also using Twitter, Facebook and other social networking sites to get his message out. Though similar nontraditional strategies did not sweep Ron Paul into the White House, they could work on a smaller scale.

Since Bunning bowed out, Paul's detractors have tried to paint him as an oddball and an extremist, but growing crowds are flocking to town hall meetings across Kentucky to hear his spiel about reining in government spending, stopping taxpayer bailouts of private companies and balancing the federal budget.

Paul says he opposes abortion without exception, not even in cases of rape, incest or the health of the expectant mother. He also opposes marriages between gay and lesbian couples. At the same time, he voices staunch opposition to government intruding in the private lives of citizens.

"It's an honest position," Paul said. "And I think there's a hunger out there for genuineness."

- more at www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gQVREKmjiAG7r_74Bs--OoD5dyugD9BTHN7O1

2. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

While I have disagreements with Ron and Rand Paul, I think they are great people who really care about our country. We do need some strong libertarian voices in the Congress, and I would like to see Rand Paul get elected. And as for Ron Paul, he has my utmost respect as a statesman and Christian gentleman.