1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randomness in the Bible?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In what way is his character negatively impacted by this idea of randomness?

Can you prove this assertion?

I am not arguing, just trying to understand. Why does randomness bother you so much? Can't God do anything, anyway he wants? Can I presume to tell God how he must have acted and how he must act?

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Evidently we don't serve God. Rather we are automatons destined to live in a fatalistic world.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Thank you Crabtownboy

Comments such as "calls into question His Holy character" and "God dishonoring junk" are totally and completely uncalled for.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Ethically you do not get to speak about what is or is not "called for" since Robert Snow and others say some of the most HORRIFIC things about reformation theology and you NEVER lambaste them.

I don't mind you expressing your offense- but don't come in riding a high horse as if your primary concern is that brothers are treated properly when the only brothers you really care for are those who ascribe to this new theology that you hold to.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Calvinism and fatalism have nothing to do with one another.

And I am still waiting on Scriptural support for this notion that many, if not most, if not the VAST MAJORITY of things that occur in this world happen at RANDOM.

Do you have any??

6. quantumfaith

Luke, I will comment whenever I so choose. What are you going to do about it? Threaten to beat me up as you have in past threads with others?

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Two things:

1- Scripture is clear that NOTHING happens randomly but rather that God has ordained EVERYTHING and is in complete control of every single event bringing ALL things to pass according to his will.

Proverbs 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof [is] of the LORD.

Not even the roll of the dice is random.

Romans 11:36 "For of him and through Him and to Him are ALL THINGS..."

2- The idea that God allows some things to happen by chance means that God allows something to happen beyond his control. These who espouse this new nameless theology try to rectify this by saying, "God is SO sovereign that he can allow things to happen outside of his control." Of course that is absurd. It is like saying, "Jim is SO dry that he is covered in wet spots." This idea pretends that something at all can EVER happen apart from the power of God or that anything that ever happens is not an ultimate result of his eternal plan that he set in motion when he built the universe. It is ridiculous.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't care what you do, quantum. I just simply pointed out that if you would restrict yourself to justice and equity and ethical behavior then you must abandon this high horse reproving of Calvinists for saying no worse things than these who have no nameable theology while you NEVER reprimand them. It makes you hypocritical in your high horse rebukes.

9. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I am waiting for an answer. Without an answer I do not know what ball park we are in.

So, again ... in what way does randomness call God's character into question?

What is God's character that it can be called into question?

How does randomness dishonor God?

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So it's "absurd" when it comes from a non cal...but it is "interesting and enlightening" when it comes from a fellow DoG'er? Is this clear bias randomness, or decreed (depending if we ever get a definition of the latter from you)?

We need to know what you mean by predetermine, as in decree.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Your waiting is not necessary. It has already been addressed in post 27.

12. quantumfaith

Well Crabtown boy, I don't see how "randomness" in any way calls into question God's character, unless of course one simply denies God altogether, but alas, that is another thread (at least in my high horse) perspective.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

His post was insightful. I am still waiting for one of such quality to come from one of you guys who have no nameable theology. When it does, I will compliment it.

Have you applied this same type of rebuke to quantum for not criticizing the attacks of nameless theology folks while riding his high horse slam over as many Calvinists as he can?

Surely you are consistent, right?

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From a human viewpoint it may seem to be out of God's control. Don't limit God to human understanding. If God allows events to happen by chance it only means he allows it ... this does not mean he is not in control. I believe you are forgetting God's permissive will.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Luke, yes these examples demonstrate to my satisfication that exhaustive determinism is a mistaken view of scripture. There are several verses that demonstrate things happen by chance, rather than being predetermined. There are several passages that indicate we make choices, rather than non-choices. And there are several passages where God intervenes to bring about what He desires, which would not happen if all circumstance was predetermined. So yes, that is all I have. God's word against the traditions of men.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

His post was consistent with what everyone else was saying, but you are too narrow minded or blind to ever glean any kind of truth from a non cal. It is also humorous that you throw around the "nameless theology" tag so loosely when you hold to "nameless" definitions of simple terms and phrases.
    Ah, the the Luke MO of evade, obfuscate, and misdirect the accusation back to the one making it, which hold the feel of a second grader saying "nuh uh, you are"
    As consistent as you failing to define a simple word for us.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I am not- this is what you guys with no nameable theology are doing.

You have no Bible for this unorthodox idea that God has created a world in which BILLIONS of events happen at random every day and ignore the fact that the Bible EXPLICITLY states that God is bringing to pass EVERY event according to his will- no exceptions.

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe I have said if I support randomness or not. But I do find it an interesting philosophical topic. Just because a person asks questions and expects answers does not mean their support or do not support the idea. It does mean they are looking for answers or at least rational explanations.

You are letting your emotions get in the way of your replies.

Are you saying it is impossible for God to let something happen randomly, that is exercise his permissive will? There is that which is called God's perfect will and then then is God's permissive will.

Your proof texts in themselves mean little. We can prove just about anything we want by selective picking scripture.

Now if this is too hot for you to answer calmly and reasonably maybe the thread should be dropped. What say?

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Define random for us, Luke...in your OWN words.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I have defined it multiple times.

Everything else you said is so bogus it is not worth responding to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.