1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rangers Shake Up

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Jimmy C, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Mark Teixiera was traded to Atlanta for three players who are reputed to be Atlanta's three best prospects including current catcher 1st basemen Saltlimakia (I have probably butchered the spelling :) )
    We in the DFW area think that the Rangers probably made a good trade. Dodgers, DBacks, and the Angels were also in talks for Tex - this did seem to be the best deal. Atlanta gets him for the rest of this year and all of next before they have to deal with the baseball antichrist Scott boras

Lofton was traded to cle for a prospect as well

Time will tell - what think you all?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

The Dallas/FW area will be focused on the Cowboys in Sept/October for the next 10 years.... :thumbs:

3. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Dont forget the other 10 months!

I needed a good chuckle - thanks!

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think Saltalamachia could be a great prospect. Time will tell. This could be a great deal for the Rangers in the long haul.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's hard to see that the Rangers didn't do what they had to do. Texeira (among others) wanted Showalter out, and they got it; then after a too-nice training camp followed by a bad April and a worse May, he's in a feud with new manager Washington, remains dissatisfied and has no intention of staying in Texas longer than he has to, meaning after 2008 he would be gone [via free agency] for nothing in return. Even with Texas' trade and personnel record, among 4 A/B rated 'prospects' there should be at least one who produces well for them, which is all Texeira did. It should be noted Texeira has been a show starter for several seasons; it seems to take 50 games for him to begin hitting his stride; and also that he was still on the DL when Texas began playing better; I think their record was 14-9 without him, indicating his bat and glove were not that valuable to them.

Incidentally, does anyone else see a similarity between the 'fun' training camp Ron Washington-- as compared to his precessor-- ran last spring with the Rangers, compared to what Wade Phillips is currently doing with the Cowboys? Will be interesting to see if that continues to follow and the Cowboys have a pathetic first third of the season.

6. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Great points Alcott - Tex is a notorious slow starter. The prospects from hotlanta sound good. For whatever reason Tex never connected with the community (as Pudge Rodriguez did - and Palmiero for that matter) he did his job and went home.

On one hand I hate to see the rangers lose someone who grew up in thier system basically over pay, but Tex seems to follow the formula of all Boras clients, show me the money and more me all the time.

As to Phillips - I dont think he is soft, at least his defense in san diego wasnt soft last year! I think the boys have the tools for a strong d this year - I worry about an offensive coordinator who has never been more than a qb coach in the past on a sorry offensive team (miami). I also dont like that Phillips did not get much say in chosing his coordinators. I am cautiously optomistic about the boys at this point

7. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Gagne is now gone to Boston - boston I think now has the best bullpen in the nation - and is the odds on fav to win the world series.

Texas seems to have gotten very good value in both trades

from mlb.com:

CLEVELAND -- The Rangers have traded pitcher Eric Gagne to the Boston Red Sox for Major League pitcher Kason Gabbard and Minor League outfielders David Murphy and Engel Beltre.

Gabbard is 4-0 with a 3.73 ERA in seven starts for the Red Sox this year. The trade was completed just after the Rangers announced that they had traded Mark Teixeira to the Atlanta Braves.
    "It's a big day for the Rangers," owner Tom Hicks said.
    Gabbard, who lasted started for the Red Sox on July 26, is expected to join the Rangers immediately.
    Murphy, 26, was hitting .280 with nine home runs and 47 RBIs in 100 games and 400 at-bats for Triple-A Portland. He has played in 23 Major League games and is 6-for-24 with one home run and two RBIs.
    Beltre is an 18-year-old from the Dominican Republic who batted .215 with five home runs, 13 RBIs and six stolen bases for the Gulf Coast Red Sox.
    Gagne was 2-0 with a 2.16 ERA and 16-for-17 in save opportunities. The deal would leave the Rangers without a closer on the active roster. A.J. Murray is being recalled from Triple-A Oklahoma. Akinori Otsuka is on the disabled list with inflammation in his right elbow/forearm area and is not expected back until later in August. The Rangers will likely try to get by with some combination of right-handers Joaquin Benoit and Frank Francisco and left-hander C.J. Wilson

8. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

By the way, supposedly the rangers offered Teixiera and the baseball antichrist $140,000,000 for eight years EIGHT!! and he turned them down!!

9. PastorSBC1303

How bout them Cowboys:saint:

10. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Pastor

I'm a bit suprised the cubbies didnt do anything today - by the way, my batchelor party was in the bleachers at Wrigley 26 years ago - no rowdiness on our part, but the folks around us were lubricated beyond belief!

We'll get back to the boys tomorrow - today we celebrate the major league trading deadline - one of the most active days in sports. The rangers young gm needed a good day - I think he got it. the only thing I wish he would have done is dumped sosa off on someone for a bag of baseballs or something else of equivilent value.

11. PastorSBC1303

I am surprised the Cubs did not make a move as well. I know they are expecting Kerry Wood to be back in the bullpen soon and he should help a lot as the reports are he is looking good, yet another injury seems to always be lurking with him.

All kidding aside, I think the Rangers had a good day. The SP from the Red Sox is going to be a good one.