1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rantings about Relevancy in Worship...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by ScottEmerson, May 19, 2003.

1. Molly

Molly New Member

So,why do those in the contempo style not think hymns,psalms,and anthems are not praise and worship? Why move those out and new stuff(only) in? you may not do this,but in our experience with the contemporary movement,those in favor of this,said no to hymns,but must have all *praise and worship* to reach the lost...what does that mean? Why change thinking this style is what *wroks* in today's world? Do we really need new music or do we need a heart change so that the new generations know the hymns and learn to appreciate them...this is what I want for my children...not to cling to whatever is the new *thang*,but hold to the heritage of those who came before us. We need to be teaching this to younger people,so they have that connection and appreciation.

Of course,this is my opinion. [​IMG]

Molly

2. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

I know very few Baptists who would think this. I surely don't.

I actually think that we lose something very dear if we get rid of hymns all together. There is so much strength and passion in hymns. We sing hymns on Wednesday night in our youth service, keeping the same melody and chords (generally), but doing it with a guitar instead of a piano. In fact, according to a large youth survey, 25% of youth do not think that youth worship services have enough hymns.

The problem with this is that we assume that hymns are somehow better than ptaise and worship songs, and that a heart must somehow improve to get to the point where people enjoy singing hymns. So much of this is a style issue. Personally, I want to see a generation who is able to sing all kinds of music for Jesus Christ, whether that music consists of hymns, anthems, praise and worship music, Hebrew songs, or even Gregorian chants!

Agreed. But we can't do so by tearing down praise and worship, or by saying that hymns are intrinsically "better" than the music that they worship with now.

3. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Those questions have never been answered. For all your talk about others not using Scripture to defend their position, the greatest irony is that you refuse to submit one shred of Scriptural evidence to support your moral claims about music.