1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ratzinger links to the inquisition

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by BobRyan, Apr 20, 2005.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well fortunately all they are doing is costing people their jobs.

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Yep. That's how it started back in the day.
    That's how it will be revived.
    Can't say if it will be this fellow but it will happen. Won't say it will even be this "church" but it will happen.
    "No man might buy or sell save he that had the mark".

In HIS service;
    Jim

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The point is that Raztinger WAS appointed to that post - the same post that had been the managing/admin post for the inquisition.

I thought that was an amazing bit of history.

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK, OK, we know your thoughts on Catholics.

The point is, the new Pope was responsible for ensuring that professors/theologians at Catholic universities were Catholic in doctrine. What a concept! From my understanding, the individuals listed are liberal Catholics and were not in agreement with Catholic doctrines.

I would assume that you would not be against 7th Day Adventist Church leaders ensuring that professors at 7th Day Adventist colleges/seminaries agreed with 7th Day Adventist teaching, right? If not, what's the point??

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh let us not forget about the SBC seminaries, either.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    So far as I know, the Congregation was not revived, though it was renamed. (It was formerly the Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office, and before that the Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Roman and Universal Inquisition. I have not heard of the Congregation torturing or executing anyone for quite a while.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The point is they used that same "excuse" to launch this very office initially and then they evolved it into the inquisition. It did not start out as a 'torture or die' project. It simply "became one" over the course of time - thanks in part to Pope Innocent.

(That was "their idea" not mine).

I just thought it was a curious note/link in history that the new Pope "just so happened" to hold that "revived office".

As for modern churches having an "inquisition" office that gets "scaled back down" to "just verifying ortodoxy" --- well I don't know of any - do you?

In Christ,

Bob

8. FLMike

FLMike Guest

Chilling, positively chilling! Next they'll be requiring math teachers to teach math accurately! Fascism rears its ugly head!

9. FLMike

FLMike Guest

Time to clean out those cold war bomb shelters. They can't hunt us all down.

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Some people are complaining today about Ratinger's enrollment in the Nazi Youth organizations in Germany. I don't really have the details on all that history.

I just thought it is "interesting" that JPII assigned him to "revive" such a historically infamous office -- (But hopefully with a nicer face for now).

You just never know when your past will catch up to you.

11. FLMike

FLMike Guest

All I know is that when totalitarian leaders tell 14-year-olds they must join the youth movement, the 14-year-olds never obey.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As I said - I don't have the details. I think Ratinger finally deserted the German army in 1945. My point is that while "others" find that link to history "interesting" I find that the efforts to revive the old office of the inquisition and appoint Ratinger as the head - (using the earlier name for that office of course) was a "fascinating link" with history.

You just never know when "history is going to mean something".

I think the RCC tries to make that same case when it talks about successors to Peter.

In Christ,

Bob

13. mioque

mioque New Member

Not revived Bob, it never went away in the first place.

14. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with mioque, this office has not been revived as it never went away.

15. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Re the Hitler Youth accusation, I think that's a bit unfair: Ratsface is the only person I know of who used to be in that Nazi organisation but who has moved to the right since leaving it!

Yours in Christ

Matt

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Name the person (and dates for office) holding the office prior to Ratzinger.

17. mioque

mioque New Member

Franjo Seper from 8 january 1968 to 25 november 1981
    Before him it was Alfredo Ottaviani* from 7 november 1959 to 6 january 1968

Wikipedia probably has a halfway decent article about the subject. So you can check yourself.

*Ottaviani is the guy who told the American journalist who pointed out that there are 2 heads of John the Baptist out there both recognized by the RCC as genuine:"Let me explain that to you my son, the first head is from before the beheading the other head is from afterwards." [​IMG]

18. mioque

mioque New Member

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey - I think we have something that holds up.

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Someone viewed Ratzinger in the Time Magazine article this last week and commented that he bears a certain uncanny resemblance to Palpatine of Star Wars.

Maybe it is just our cultural media experience that is giving you the willies when you saw him.