1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ray Comfort

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Seeker Of Truth, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

The Airing Schedule is here. (Click on "Television" then "Airing Schedules")

2. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

I think maybe the following quote from Ray's "Evidence Bible" explains his attitude when witnessing:

2nd Timothy 2:24-26
    And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
    In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
    And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

3. mima

mima New Member

Ray comfort is a wonderful evangelist. He preaches from an Old Testament perspective. In talking to people he deals with the law as presented in the 10 Commandments therefore Old Testament law. However I have never seen him lead anyone in a sinners prayer, or speak to them of the forgiveness and grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.

4. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I have heard Comfort speak the forgiveness of the Lord Jesus Christ to people but he is no high pressure, pray this prayer now fella. Comfort made it clear in one of his shows that he opposes the use of the repeat after me sinners prayer. He would rather let the person do this by himself.

He is very critical of most modern day evangelistic techniques.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

As am I. There is nothing I detest more than at the end of a show where a host who happens to be talking about a subjet other than salvation (eschatolgy, creationism, prophecy, etc.) just blurts out "repeat this prayer after me", without truly explaining what true faith, believing and the prayer is for. Then they say "If you said this prayer, congratulations, you are a child of God!" :mad:

6. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

Ray Comfort was the one that got me witnessing. He is great. Learn how to witness biblically from his website and it can change your life. [​IMG]

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    webdog,

Let me congratulate you!!! Amen and Praise the Lord!!!! [​IMG]

I find most IFBers do that type of witnessing. Say this prayer, don't you want to go to Heaven when you die, (to little boys and girls) don't you just love Jesus and want to go and live with him!

I thought Jack Hyles had perfected that and I thought one had to have a bus to have that type of invitation to "trust Jesus!"

You sound like someone who is really concerned that; the sinner count the cost of what it means to follow Christ, tell the prospect the need of repentance, one should follow-up on the new convert, s/he be put in a new members class so that we would only baptize ones who show proof of regeneration, et al. :D

You had better be careful, or you will get kicked out of the "IBF"er club with your personal detestation of those types of evangelism techniques.

sdg!

rd

8. Seeker Of Truth

Seeker Of Truth New Member

Thank you for all your comments, I'm currently reading his book on how to win souls. There are some things in his book which I must carefully examine.

Why does he like to use the 10 commandments when trying to win souls? We are not under the law but under grace. Someone said he might be a Wesleyan, does he believe in eternal security of the believer?

9. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Probably because Paul did. Check out Galatians and Romans. The primary purpose of the Law is to show us our need for a Savior. Before a man believes the Good News of Jesus Christ, he must understand the bad news of his own sin. That's what Comfort is driving at when he uses the Big Ten.

10. SoulWinningLady

SoulWinningLady New Member

You are SO far from right! Most IFB do NOT do this type of evanglism. No ONE in my church does this and I have yet to every go to an IFB church in my area that does this. Hyles never taught this kind of evanglism.
    He taught you GOT to get someone lost before you get them saved. You cannot do that with a "simple" prayer.
    I belive you are painting with a very broad brush here.

11. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

He will explain the 10 Commandments later in the book, but I'll do it here for you. We are guilty of breaking God's law. That is why we need a Savior. Using the Commandments shows we are not good enough for heaven so it makes hell a reality. It is what biblical people did. Without the law, it's like me trying to arrest you without a warrant. With the law, it explains why you are being arrested. Now that they are "arrested", they can be released by the grace of God.

12. Ray Comfort is out of the Calvary Chapel churches out west, run by Chuck Smith. They are Charismatics, not Baptists. They believe in speaking in tongues.

Ray Comfort does not preach a sound Gospel. I have studied the man and his teachings for several years and have his materials in a file in my office. He mixes the New Age Movement with the Gospel and therefore has another gospel.

Further, Ray Comfort does NOT follow the pattern of Paul, as suggested in this thread by an individual. According to 1 Corinthians 15, Paul began with the Gospel, not the Law. The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation.

After I give a lost person the Gospel, if they tell me that they are a "good person," then I give them the Law to show them their sinful state.

Paul did not BEGIN with the message of the Law. You can never prove that from Scripture.

Personally, it sickens me to see fundamental independent Baptists using Ray's materials and promoting him. Let's get back to the Bible and forsake this heretic.

13. standingfirminChrist

Ray does preach a sound doctrine. He just associates with different denominations.

His method of witnessing to the lost is very effective.

14. Tongues speaking, mixing Star Wars and the Gospel, and putting the Law before the death, burial and resurrection of Christ is not "sound doctrine," nor meerly associating "with different denominations."

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:rolleyes: There's always one that has to come crawling out of the wood work!

16. standingfirminChrist

Is Christ divided?

Is calling everyone that disagrees with one 'ungodly' sound doctrine?

I have seen it by the same person in another forums.

Ray Comfort professes Christ as His Lord and Savior and as such, if you feel he is weak, pray for him rather than grind him in the dirt.

It is no wonder that many who professed to know Christ will hear those words, 'Depart from me, I never knew you.'

17. standingfirminChrist

Where is your proof that Ray Comfort is preaching heresies? or anything that is contrary to the Word of God?

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I join in unison with SFiC's question. PD, if you have specific proof, please cite it so it can be discussed. Lacking that, I suspect that you are accusing a brother falsely, for reasons unknown to us.

19. standingfirminChrist

John,

There are those who believe a woman cannot hair shorter than their standards, cannot wear shirts, and .. oh yes, cannot perform wedding ceremonies (especially at a Trekkie Wedding. lol)

20. Apparently this is his hobby horse and he uses it to take threads off topic. This is the second time I have noted him doing so in the last hour. If he does it again, I am going to blow the whistle on him.