1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Razorback football

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by StefanM, Oct 7, 2006.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I can't help but notice that the only game you take exception to is the Cal game, where you probably have a point about the "calling off of the dogs." But where did I say the Vols would be no good? I'm not a "glass half empty" guy. But I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker, either. I'm just objective about the stats and facts, and love my Vols. You're arguing that the Vols have been head and shoulders above everyone and the games haven't been close. Maybe you haven't watched all the games like I have. Much like our Hog friends booking their flights to Glendale too soon, I think we need to be reasonable and realize that NO ONE has been "dominant" nationally. Even OSU has had their struggles (notably against Cincinnati). I'm estatic that we're where we are, but I'm also realistic about it.
    I'd like to see that. The papers, talk shows, coaches show all had Fulmer making reference to his injuries (and the analysts asking why, if Coker was so injured, why was he returning kickoffs?).
    Scott, come on. Are you confusing me with Ken? I think you are. :BangHead:
    You aren't reading my posts correctly, if that's what you think. Maybe I'm leaving out an adverb or adjective here or there that would help. But you're smarter than that, Scott. :thumbsup:
    Talk is cheap. The players have validated this by making plays on the field - a heckuva lot more than they made last year. Last year all we heard was talk. This year, the boys are talking on the field...with the occasional exception of Ainge running his mouth at the wrong time.
    I would agree. We did get a little help in the Richt, like Richt can do, panicked. He's been the flavor of the month for a while. I believe I read a stat that showed that he's beaten FLA only once, and in his last two years hasn't beaten a team ranked higher than #15. All the UT fans who talk about Richt's prowess need to look at this rationally.

Let me spell it out for you - our offense is executing miles better than last year. We've looked very, very good at times, and we've struggled at times especially in certain aspects (secondary, tackling, special teams, OL play to a lesser extent). We're a more formidable opponent this year because of execution. Fulmer has done an outstanding job, as has Cut. Chavis is doing okay, but Larry Slade has got to get a handle on the secondary. I still maintain I'dve fired him before Sanders, but that's just me.

Remember...only seven days till BAMA....get your Bama jokes ready...our real rival is coming to town.

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about 63?

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Against a not very good 1AA team... I'm impressed. Hang 51 on UGA and then tell me about it.

4. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean the UGA that lost at home to Vanderbilt?

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom,

The thing I really like about what I read about Cut is that he keeps striving toward perfection. Maybe you are just agreeing with him.

However, UT is averaging double what they averaged last year. Football is not a game where you are going to score every possession or make every tackle. It isn't a game where you will ever achieve perfect consistency. However, offensively the word 'dominant' does apply to the UT offense except for the UF game. With the line play where it is now, I don't think UF would stop them now either.

The defense seemed to take a step forward in the 2nd half against UGA. We'll have to see as we go along I suppose.

UT's team reminds me of a 90's Spurrier team. They are scoring enough points to take other teams out of their game plan. That can both help and hurt the defense but overall it is a benefit. If they can keep it up it should be even more of a benefit against the rest of their schedule except for LSU.

LSU would probably love to get UT into a shoot out.

IMO, if you are optimistic then you've hid it successfully. I honestly don't think anyone in the SEC is playing better right now. UF just gave away the key... if anyone was curious about what it was. Pressure Leak... he isn't tough.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep... the same Vanderbilt that lost to Arkansas by two while putting up 364 yards versus 291 against UGA.

In fact, a puff of wind shortening a field goal by a couple of yards was all that stood between Vandy and a one point, last minute win against Arkansas.

My point is that to diss Vandy is to diss your own Hogs. They played you as well as they played UGA and missed the FG instead of making it.

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Hogs barely escaped with a win--this I will admit. Nevertheless, their play against Vandy was not on par with their most recent efforts. If they play like they played against Vandy, they'll be annihilated, but if they play like they have recently, they'll have a chance.

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't suggest any different.

My contention is that if UT plays their A game and Arkansas plays their A game- UT wins and it probably isn't real close, ie 2 or 3 scores. The whole Arkansas program has improved. I'm glad that Nutt got a good win before getting the axe. However, UT is playing the best offense in the conference right now and their defense is at worst mid-pack and probably much better than that if you don't consider the 18 they gave Cal. They handled UF about as well as Auburn or LSU.

Arkansas is up and coming. I think LSU will decline under Miles. I don't really see either Mississippi team making real noise any time soon. Bama cycles up and down but hasn't reached the pinnacle in quite some time. I don't think a west or even SEC championship is out of the question within the next 4 years if they continue to recruit well... since they still have LSU, USC, and UT on the schedule... I don't think this will be the year.

Next year looks a little troublesome due to defensive graduation losses but the offense will be much better. Year after next looks like the year it all comes together.

9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To win the West, Arkansas must win 4 of these 5 games: Miss, Miss State, SC, LSU, TN

I think everyone agrees Ark will beat the MS schools. SC hasn't been playing very well except for their loss against Auburn. They've had wins over Wofford (a 1-AA school, and only by 7), Miss State, Florida Atlantic, and Kentucky. Those aren't impressive. It doesn't mean SC is a bad team, but they haven't proven that they can win big games. I think Ark wins this one by a decent margin.

I think Arkansas will probably split the TN/LSU games. Arkansas has shown that they can pull big upsets, and I can see them taking at least one of these, possibly both if they are really on target. If Ark does lose one, I think they will lose to TN. TN is much stronger right now, and I believe that they should take out LSU the week before they play Arkansas. IMO, LSU's morale will be low, and Ark will take them out.

I do hope that Arkansas will win against TN. I say that if Arkansas beats TN, they will go 11-1.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Hogs are #13 in the first BCS poll, just two spots below the MIGHTY TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS! :smilewinkgrin:

Way to go, Razorbacks, in being that close to the MIGHTY TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS! :thumbs:

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. From what we are being told on this board there's no point in the Hogs even taking the field against the MIGHTY TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS. Why, I imagine even the Ohio State Buckeyes are thanking their lucky stars that they don't have to play the MIGHTY TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS in order to win the BCS championship.

12. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:mad: Ken

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still delusions?

That isn't what you've been told. You have been told that if UT plays well and Ark plays well then UT wins. Deny all you want but that is simple, plain fact. UT is a better offense and at least as good on defense. They have better personnel and better coaches.

Now if you can give one objective counterpoint to any of this then please go ahead.

As a matter of fact, I doubt that OSU would want their opponent to be UT. Who would relish the idea of playing a team that put up 51 on a team as talented on defense as UGA?

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes and as further proof of the validity of the BCS system, Cal, who UT beat like a dog, is ranked one place above them and if I heard correctly are rated 3rd by Sagarin.

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not necessarily. Ole Miss is 2-5. However they beat Vandy and didn't need a puff of wind to do it. Bama needed OT to put them away. Ole Miss had more yardage against Bama than Ark did.
    I think USC and Ole Miss are toss ups for Ark. The Hogs have won several close games against the pack and have a win against Auburn while the Tigers were probably looking ahead. They are due to lose one of those close "pack" games.

UK isn't great but they aren't the push over every week that they've been in the past so USC's win against them wasn't a joke.

Wofford was embarrassing. Miss State wasn't a horrible win for the first game of the season... not by any stretch impressive but not terrible considering USC's uncertainty on both sides of the ball.

Never bet against Spurrier in a game where he has equal or greater talent. Arkansas doesn't out man USC by much if any.

Unless UT or LSU plays poorly (which either or both could do) I don't think Arkansas has the guns to beat them... yet.

The problem is that word "upset". It is alot easier to shoot at the target than to wear it. You guys are now the west leader. You are now a "big game with BCS implications". It is no longer an "upset" situation or a game that LSU or UT will overlook.

As a matter of fact, if UT still has only one loss and is in the BCS hunt when they play Arkansas there would be a motivation to beat the Hogs as badly as they could to compare favorably to Auburn, UF, and So Cal.
    If they are "really on target", they still lose if UT and LSU bring their A game. If Ark is really on target and one or the other comes in flat or makes a bunch of mistakes then they could win one or both.
    I think Arkansas only has two sure wins left on their schedule. La-Monroe and Miss St. Miss St could be trouble if they ever find anyone who can play offense for them... odds are they won't though.

#75 Scott J, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2006
  16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. But you and I can't settle this disagreement - but the players will on the field on November 11.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, right. I'm sure Vandy was really impressed with UGA's defense last Saturday. UGA's defense really shut them down when it needed to on that last Vandy drive - NOT! :smilewinkgrin:

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    UGA shut Vandy down about like Arkansas did... from there you should be able to do the math of what UT should do if they are on their game.

19. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Problem with this response is that it is one of convenience.

You've given absolutely no good reason for your disagreement. Nothing in the performance of either team suggests anything different than what I said.

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You're right...it's a compliment to your team to be mentioned in the same breath as a team the likes of Tennessee :tongue3: