1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured RCC Missionaries in South America

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by saturneptune, Jul 10, 2012.

1. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

And just how did we get the New Testament cannon? Was there a table of contents somewhere? Did it just float down from heaven with a table of contents, fully bound?

In other words... Someone had to decide which books of the NT were inspired and which were not. I bet you won't like the answer...

WM

#41 WestminsterMan, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
  2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is really getting old, you not checking posts before you quote them. Your question would have been answered had you read my last post. I know how the Books were chosen, by a council of men, but have never read the story about how the Catholic books were chosen. Phrases like did they float down from heaven and have a table of contents fully found are unnecessary and adds nothing to the discussion. Please bother to read the post right before you quote it.

3. WestminsterMan

Here's my point... If you accept the NT cannon which was the result of three 4th century RCC councils, the you tacitly accept the authority of that same church. See?

WM

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Since I told you I do not know the story of the differences in the Bible books, would you tell me how Maccabbes for example, got in your Bible and not ours. This is a genuine question, not a debate point.

5. Moriah

Moriah New Member

Many Christians have thought that church councils determined what books were to be included in the biblical canons, because many denominations over the

centuries publicly listed canonical books that they used. These denominations wrote personal statements about the Bible, yet they were merely

reaffirming the existing canon.
    The councils had merely acknowledged those books early Christian communities already accepted as scripture.

#45 Moriah, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
  6. WestminsterMan

There were many canons ... A few were close to what was eventually settled upon, but many more were different... some even included heretical books.

WM

7. Moriah

Moriah New Member

The need for official canonization of the New Testament scriptures only came about because of certain heresies Gnostics and other sects spread throughout the church starting in the med to late second century. In example, Gnostics were introducing the new "secrets" to the Christian doctrine, including new Gospel accounts altogether. The first Christians accepted as scripture New Testament teachings by letter and books from the beginning. In 1 Timothy 5:18 Paul joins a New Testament scripture (Luke 10:7) to an Old Testament scripture (Deuteronomy 25:4) and calls them both scripture. In addition, we can see in 2 Peter 3:15-16 Peter recognizes what Paul writes as scripture.

Again, the rapidly expanding Church in the first and second centuries used these books from the start, which determined these books as canon

8. WestminsterMan

I will.. But it will be later tomorrow. Unless someone else beats me to it that is. But for now, Luther placed the deuteros in between the old and new testaments claiming that because they were not written in Greek (among other things), they could not be considered inspired just like the KJV translators did later. They pulled the seven deuteros along with parts of a few other books (Ruth and Daniel if I recall correctly) out because the texts weren't written in Greek. The discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls at Camron have changed that concept.

WM

9. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN) New Member

God Glorified

I was excited to look into this post and what you all would have to say. I tend to do more reading and gaining insight than anything. To tell the truth I was disappointed. Look up Heb. 10:24, guys. Tell me if the way that you have been carrying on reflects that verse at all.

Anyway, I have been to Ghana, Africa. I was able to witness the confusion caused by the mixture of different faiths. Even simply refuting the idea that there is nothing good that one can do do to go heaven was a challenge. Several natives considered Jesus to be another God that they could add to their already growing list of gods. I tell you, the worst battle is going against something with a little truth that has been twisted. Satan knows how to author confusion.

The issue is not denomination. It is the infallible truths of the Bible and salvation. I believe the Bible, and I am independent Baptist, because I feel that it holds closest to what it says. Bashing one another over differences is not the way, as I am sure you well know. May God be glorified and sinners be saved. Never let this leave our focus.

10. Moriah

Moriah New Member

I am not sure if I understand you right. Are you saying to let everyone believe what they want and say nothing?

You also use the scripture about spurring each other on in love, but you came putting everyone down here.

What is with the mixed messages from you?

Do you have something against contending for the faith? Paul argued and debated publicly, and we are to proclaim the truth too

11. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, I think the message was pretty clear. "May God be glorified and sinners be saved. Never let this leave our focus". Said nothing about letting 'everyone believe what they want and say nothing.' I think I'm understanding that this poster simply asked for people to stop 'bashing' and start posting in a Christ-like way.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Walter, we all need to tone down. I had no idea that members of this board had been to Catholic Boards doing the same thing, as WM said. I am going to assume that you and WM are not here for the purpose of getting back at members from this board who have done such. There is no excuse for it either direction. These issues between the two denominations cause strong emotions on their own merit, but to find out this has been some sort of back and forth electronic bashing game is ridiculous.

My guess is that the people who run the Catholic boards would ban anyone doing such a thing in short order. I would think it will not last much longer here. Now that we know this has been going on all along, I think the best thing to do is to tone down, start over maybe, and encourage our own members to stop going to the Catholic boards and disrupting their forums.

#52 saturneptune, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  13. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN) New Member

I'm not sure how you got this idea that I'm for such messed up thinking. Sorry if I didn't clarify. Of course not. The Bible allows no leeway for such a mindset. I give the gospel with no shame. It is powerful and cannot be compromised.

There is no mixed message. Bashing is not necessary, which was my point that was not clearly stated, I guess. The second part of that verse states "provoking one another unto good works." Putting down was not my ambition. Our arguments should be in light of that whole verse.

I have nothing against such. I have openly debated and stood on issues. Proclaiming the truth I'm all for. Disparaging false doctrines? Let me at them. It's al about God and his glory and the salvation of the lost. When the focus turns to me simply being right and the other person wrong, I feel that the argument is pointless, though.

#53 IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN), Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012