1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RE: A question from the closed thread

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by preachinjesus, Sep 11, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

I think problem came about when we went from taking best current/recent advancements in scholership regarding texts/linguistics/languages , and went into expanding into theology proper!

since I still read Calvin and Owens, would say that older is sometimes still better in that regards!

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

All of the scholars I mentioned have made significant impacts in biblical studies which has informed the task of present day translators. Granted some more than others.

My point about Schleiermacher was given to in response to something said that I didn't see as accurate. Nevertheless you have a good point. My position is, still, that more recent scholarship has produced a better informed text and clarified difficulties for the majority of believers using a biblical text today. :)

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Fair enough, though I'm not certain what level of epistemological certainty we need when using a text. I'd be curious to see anyone (not necessarily you) present a valid and reasoned counter-argument that the KJV is better scholarship for the present day believer.

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the better Modern versions Bibles have the benefits of the superior knowlege available to us since the 1611 days?

regardkless of texts question, wouldn't they be superior due to those factors alone?