1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Re: my family converted to (hyper?)Calvinism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by tlouis96, Jun 20, 2022.

1. tlouis96

tlouis96 New Member
    Site Supporter

Wow it has been a long time. I remembered this post and had to see if it was still here and what I was feeling and what people were saying almost 6 years ago.

I ended up going along with my parents wishes and stopped going to my church in college. It was either that or risk being cut off from them and I did not want that. I graduated and have a job now but don't get out much. And I am glad that I was not in a relationship at the time because it seems impossible to find anyone who agrees with this doctrine or is OK with never going to a phsyical church. (There are no churches locally so I read my Bible and occassionly listen to podcasts.) And to be honest I don't want kids anymore. The world is terrible and the thought of bringing about children, grandchildren, great grandchildren some of which will inevitably be predestined to hell scares me even though it is God's sovereign will. But if I don't have a relationship or kids it is also because it is His will, so I have accepted that route.

At this point I would say I agree with the theology and think it makes the most sense logically. If God loved a person it makes no sense to me that they would be born, live and die having never heard the gospel as most people probably have throughout history. He created everyone and is allowed to hate anyone and chose before creating people who would be saved and who would be destroyed.

I accept it, but I admit part of me can still help but get disillusioned sometimes. Mankind, earth, and the universe were seemingly created to be nothing more than an infinite torture device of sentient beings to maximize God's glory. Probably 99.9999999% of people born did not hear, know or believe the true gospel of which was by design. They were hated before they were created, lived a life that admittedly makes them worthy of hate as do we all, and they will be hated and tortured for eternity. And it is not known for sure but generally agreed upon in the community that the unborn are not exempt from non-election.

Part of me thinks this all seems really unfair and selfish but who am I to judge? I have indirectly benefitted from and contributed to the premeditated life and death of thousands of animals who were brought to life and then killed just to feed me or make my life better. In a way, it seems like election is similar even though we don't know God's motives. The elect are the very few chosen who for no merit of their own get to enjoy love and mercy even though they do not deserve it. And everyone else deserves infinite torture and they get what they deserve.

In moments of weakness though, I wish that it was not this way. But that is God's way. It is not good for most people involved but it is good for Him. And that is all that matters.

2. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still at it eh

3. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try getting directly involved. They taste better when you kill them yourself.

Just keep your mouth closed, you don't want any blood flying in there from the spasms. It's off-putting to the appetite.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In case you have never read this, this is an excellent article:

Confession of a Hyper-Calvinist - Brandan Kraft (pristinegrace.org)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Better by far: read Spurgeon vs Hypercalvinism by Iain Murray (Banner of Truth Books, 1995. ISBN 0-85151-692-0).
    Or you might try The Jerusalem Sinner Saved by John Bunyan (also Banner of Truth. Originally published in 1691. Their edition 2005. ISBN 0-85151-914-8)
    This book is subtitled Good News to the Vilest of Men and the Gospel is exactly that.

But it is NOT OK for you not to be going to church (Hebrews 10:25). There must be a Bible-believing, Gospel-preaching church somewhere near you. Find it and attend it with an open mind.

The elect is a vast crowd, so huge that no man can count it (Revelation 7:9-10) so don't you start counting it and finding it too small. Wait until you get there :) and you will find that God has done all things well.

#5 Martin Marprelate, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @tlouis96,
    Most Christians remember how Jesus explaine the new birth to Nicodemus, John 3:3-4. But few remember or even know His main teaching on it, Mark 10:14-15, ". . . the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein. . . ." Which was the reason Jesus explianed it to Nicodemus the way He did. For which Nicodemus asked, "How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?"