1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reaching Women and Children With Woman Pastors

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Aug 10, 2010.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It seems that today we have pastors who feel an incredible need to reach women and children but few even consider men as a possibility. So wouldn't it be best to hire a woman pastor to do that instead of a man?

Is your church a feminine or masculine church?

Tell is what you think about the article at http://www.biola.edu/news/biolamag/articles/06spring/feminization.cfm

Please read the article before you comment in response.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark Dever's Capitol Hill Baptist Church has a woman on its "pastoral staff". I think they call her a "children's ministry administrator".

It is amusing to see the euphemisms these "conservative" churches come up with to call their women ministers. "Ministry coordinator", "youth worker", etc., if you are female. Of course, a male who does the same ministry gets to be "pastor".

#2 Jerome, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
  3. Mike Stidham

Mike Stidham Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless it's a divorced guy like me. Then it's "director".:smilewinkgrin:

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I like this. This is good.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your'e lucky, some churches wouldnt even let a divorce guy take the offering

6. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Yes, it's completely ridiculous. I have absolutely no issue with calling a woman a minister. I also have no issue with women holding any ministerial role.

I have been in churches with both men and women employed as minsters to children. I am a male elementary school music teacher, which is also not the norm, but I can be just as effective as a female.

7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

#7 canadyjd, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
  8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why is that churches are led by men but are aimed at reaching children and women. Only about 10% of the churches even have a men's ministry. 90 - 95% have a women's and children's ministry.

They want men in leadership but are doing nothing to teach them to be leaders. Women can do that good at reaching men and they can reach women and children better. So practically why have a man pastor if men in leadership are limiting their ministry to women and children?

9. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think we are going off topic.

Do I think the church in general has gotten feminized?

Yes. Oh, yes.

Most guys I personally know absolutely hate singing those "Jesus is my girlfriend/boyfriend" songs.

Most guys I personally know would rather hear strong doctrine preached than have someone "minister to their felt needs."

Moving around a lot we attended churches some in denoms that ordain women. We were taught a lot of drivel in most of them, and were plain mistaught as they attempted to explain away some passages of scripture.

Left me with a lot of unlearning to do, but thanks to a couple of pastors on this board I'm getting there.

So instead of being pragmatic and saying "Well, women and kids are responding more than guys to what we are doing so let's hire women preachers to do it even better" maybe we should make a push to reach the guys, then let them reach their wives and kids.

Of course, that wouldn't be politically correct. Just Biblical.

Edited to add: We have a ton of women's ministries, and fewer men's ministries. But is because the women are jumping in and having those Bible studies, teas, breakfasts, etc. We plan it, we do it. It isn't something the church or the leadership does. If men are wanting some of that sort of thing, maybe men should step up and organize and do it.

#9 nodak, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
  10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With less guys going to church, the prevailing thinking is to arrange everything for the ladies. I'm waiting for pedicure classes with wine being served.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just got in touch with my feminine side, watched a little of The View and Oprah (and threw up in my mouth), and think the author is correct - our church with only male elders is rushing headlong into the abyss of being anti-feminine.

:BangHead:

Gender-specific role of elders is obvious and biblical. We do not want a "good ol' boys club" mentality of a church, but that simply means elders must be sensitive to all issues. It does NOT mean to violate the Word of God and feminize the church. There is no male/female in that regard; the need of a soul for salvation, discipleship, evangelism is pan-gendered.

Talbot Seminary's pastoral training is now 1/4 women? Another reason to stay far far away.

(BTW, I have no issue with a woman in a paid staff position in a mega church. She is not a pastor, never will be a pastor, cannot be a pastor, should not be called a pastor, must not do the work of a pastor, but can certainly minister and serve)

12. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since when do you have to be an "ordained minister" to minister to people? Is there a woman anywhere who says, "I won't minister to the children unless you ordain me"? Maybe I'm reading something into it that isn't there.

13. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

All Christians have a ministry, we are all called to spread the Gospel. Some may do this by teaching some by prayer some by other actions but we are all blessed with gifts to help us with our ministries.

The Bible does show us that there are offices in the Church that should be held only by men and that women should not be in authority over men in the church.

It does not matter what McDonald's, Burger King, schools or other businesses do. They are not the example set forth for the Church and they have no say if the Church is biblical.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't the men who are leading know that? Or are they simply that misinformed. Should they be wearing dresses instead? Personally I find few churches advertising for real men to lead their congregations. The common words revolve around "dynamic preacher" and relational.

That takes study and the majority of pastors I know really study very little. I have seen the increase of sermons online and bought.

How many pastors are men who are leading the way? I am sick of the feminine pastors I see today. Listen to how their wives talk to them. Sometimes I want to say to the pastor, "Act like a man."

For church leadership it is too often about job security.

I would ask the question, "Is it God's work or man's program?" I just quit doing that at church because the pastor is about a women's and children's ministry and got little support from him. As soon as I did, the following week I started meeting with two more men. That is two more than I had before.

#14 gb93433, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
  15. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I, and the majority of Bible-honoring, Christ-following evangelicals remain unconvinced. And even if I am wrong, I fail to see the title "pastor" as being reserved for men only, even for women working with women and children only. [/QUOTE]

There is much one can learn from people (evangelicals, even) with differing opinions, even if only to become more refined and solid in ones own beliefs. I found that when I did my own theological work. Life goes on outside my own personal Mayberry, which I didn't realize until then.

Anyways, as far as the feminization of the Church, it probably has something to do with so few men comparatively being involved in church life. And it also depends on what exactly is "feminizing." I don't fit the bill of a stereotypical man. I enjoy fruit beverages and lattes, own a poodle, don't like football, and don't walk around feeling as if I have to defend some uneasy male dignity. But I have a feeling "feminization" is something deeper than that sort of idea.

I'm sure it has something to do with the sentimentalized perspective through which most churches view God. We like God because of what God can do for us. That's the value. And we feel as if corporate worship means we get all warm and fuzzy about God. Men and women do that. Remember those "Jesus is my girlfriend" songs. Most of those are written by men.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have never been asked by any young men what masculinity is until the last 15 years. That was not ever an issue years ago. Men were led by men. Now it is all about being sensitive and caring. While that is true, where are the men who call right right and wrong wrong. Listen to men talk about problems in the church and how to approach them. Most of the time it is not about right and wrong but about the approach to take to make sure the person feels good when they are approached or if the person would even be approached.

I heard a woman in a church I was pastoring say to me, "Our husbands do what we tell them." Those men were more relational than I had ever seen and they were farmers. That did not happen in my home and I come from a long line of farmers. Not one of those farmers I knew were raised in homes with mothers like that.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was raised by coal miners & factory workers. In those homes & days there was a place for everything & everything & everyone had they're place.

18. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a bold statement. Have you asked all the "Bible-honoring, Christ-following evangelicals" to be sure? Nobody asked me.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your answers are found at http://www.sbc.net/bfm/

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My daughter said a few years ago, "I don't want to marry a wuss." She started dating one and within a few months she let him go.