1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Read it and weep: The Gospel Preacher Awards

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mike McK, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I notice the proliferation of "Bishops" and "Drs." and cannot help but wonder how many of those are self-proclaimed.

And the term "Pastor" is being used for a bunch of folks who, so far as I can tell, do not serve a congregation.

It's all about self-promotion, and that is truly an insult to the Gospel.

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

If I remember correctly Mrs. Bynums so called doctorate is under suspicion.

#22 2 Timothy2:1-4, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2007
  3. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Billy Grahm is Southern Baptist.
    EDIT: I read that post of yours wrong. Thought you were saying Billy and Kirk were charismatic.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I sent the following email to the address in the Media Relations link, which goes to a woman named Alyssa Shepherd-Moore.

Here was her reply.

I replied to this reply.

If I receive a response, I'll be sure to post it.

5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I guess us BB crawlers should be getting an invitation pretty soon then, ya think?

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was wondering if the dear old man from our congregation who invites 60+ men who he served in WW2 with to our Christmas Program (and pays for them to have dinner beforehand at a restaurant) and has brought SO many to the Lord will be invited. Oh - and the man in our congregation who is serving the disabled in the area. What a wonderful work he's doing! Hmmm - I'll tell them to hold the date.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Although I gave a 'smart-aleck' response, before, I fully agree 100% with my own former college pastor, here.

My bride and I wish you and your family, a wonderful Christmas season, for a "real pastor", Joseph M. Smith.

I'll definitely vote for you when you get nominated to this list. But I'll not spend a lot of time looking for your name, in nomination, to be included. :rolleyes:

Ed

#27 EdSutton, Nov 29, 2007
  8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I searched for men from MY list. Figured they'd be a minority, since they were white, male, fundamentalist and non-charismatic.

Oh, well. Cannot vote.

AND WHERE IS MY NAME???

(oh, the humanity)

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

They certainly will hold the date, and the seats, as well!

Only 100 bucks each gets front-row seats!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Payable in advance, you understand! :rolleyes:

Ed

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Usually, it's found closing threads I'm about to post in, such as the one on 'Christmas', on the BB!

(oh, the humility) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

#30 EdSutton, Nov 29, 2007
  11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: Now THAT is funny, Ed.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Glad you liked it.

BTW, might you, by any chance, happen to know either Sam Iiams, from the Lander (or Riverton) area, or Dr. Richard A. Seymour, from Frontier School of the Bible in Lagrange, a former classmate and a Bible College Professor of mine from many years ago? Just wonderin'.

Ed

#32 EdSutton, Nov 29, 2007
  13. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I didn't get a response to my question from yesterday afternoon, so I replied again with this.

I received a response to this.

Obviously, that response, to be blunt, stinks.

Here's my response.

If I get a response that even remotely begins to answer the question, I'll be sure to post it. I'll also be very surprised.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

CC - That is amazing and kind of not surprising to me. What a shame that they're being so snotty in representing this kind of "show". The only honor that's shown in Scripture is the faith "hall of fame" in Hebrews 11 and then what is in Revelation, if I remember correctly. Those who God will reward will probably not be those on that particular site. I think it will be all those who have put their lives down for the Lord - who have given their all INCLUDING their riches.

Wow - just cements my feelings on this "show".

15. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I remember several years ago, Colin Quinn was "interviewing" an actor playing Al Sharpton.

At one point in the interview, he looked right at "Sharpton" and said, "What is it with you people? Everybody's a 'reverend' with you!"

I always remember that when I see these guys. I don't mean to bring race into it, because there certainly are plenty of white people who do the same thing, but one of the things I notice when I look at the church in the black community is that anybody can pretty much call themselves whatever they want, and they command attention and authority based just on the title they've chosen for themselves.

And if you look at the nominees, I think you'll see that here.

16. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I love that answer my dear mr. robinson!

NOT

P.U.

17. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Well, Ed, you had better listen to or read some of my preaching before you vote. Remember that I am NOT a fundamentalist!!

How many are there on this thread who either post to or read sermons at SermonCentral.com? I have posted more than 300 sermons there, and read other folks' work from time to time. Some of that work is worthy of recognition.

Truth be told, the only recognition I want, other than of course the Lord's "well done" is to hear, as occasionally I do, that some message helped someone, brought someone closer to Christ, spoke to someone's need. But I also learned long ago that if you stand at the door after worship and expect to get your affirmation from accolades, you will be disappointed. Not many people say anything concrete ... but one hopes that the message sinks in and has a time-delayed effect.

18. antiaging

antiaging New Member

The scriptures show that such an award ceremony is not wise:

2 Corinthians 10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

1 Corinthians 4:4 For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
    1 Corinthians 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

God is the one that is supposed to award His servants. Not other men.

19. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

Hey now, let's not talk about what the Bible says regarding these ideas.

20. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

To the surprise of exactly nobody, I received no response from their Media Relations person after I challenged her to provide Biblical support.