1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reader's Bibles

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Jan 29, 2018.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't noticed any current threads/discussions of "Reader's Bibles" -- the Bible without verses and chapters that break up the text.

Anyone use a Reader's Bible? If so, which one? How do you like it? What are its pros and cons?

Thanks.

2. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalms in block form does seem...a bit off, no?

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it seems so to me, although that may not affect the readability as much as it affects looks. Worse to me, is that Ward says the Psalms aren't numbered (if I understand correctly). Reading the Psalms straight through isn't the same as reading Deuteronomy straight through. Each Psalm is a separate song.

Apparently the Holman Reader's Bible is currently the only option in the KJV. Of course, I'd assume (though I haven't looked in depth) that there aren't a lot of "Reader's Bible" options, period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalms, translated by e e cummings and James Joyce.
    :Biggrin

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a 6 volume Crossway Esv set...

7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice, but at $200 to $500, I'll have to pass!
    So far no one has admitted to owning or using one? Objections? Too expensive? Redundant (as in, already have too many Bibles)? Not available in your preferred version?

Within a few days I expect to have one. I'll let you know what I think.

8. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chapters and verses don't feel like a hindrance to me, and I'd rather keep my cross references and footnotes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see no need for it. I have no objection to the format, it just isn't for me. The Crossway set is well made and attractive. But it would do nothing but set on my shelf.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

10. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't read from a Bible that has cross references and footnotes, so I won't miss that. I don't feel like chapters and verses are much of a hindrance, but I admit that they could be -- if we perceive of thoughts ending at the ends of verse or chapters (and I expect some people do).

I find the subject more of a curiosity than a problem, but I am curious to see if it "feels" different to read the Bible without chapters and verses.

In his Bible Typography Manifesto, Mark Ward (the KJV-Quiz guy) claims that "typography is a major but often overlooked source of meaning, for good or ill, in any book" (Note that he says the "manifesto format is tongue-in-cheek, but the upshot is serious.") He even has a 47 minute video presentation there on Why Bible Typography Matters. He says typography carries meaning that we receive without realizing it, but also admits the issue is basically a "first-world" problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No argument with that.

Things as minor ad a comma can throw quite a wrench into interpretation.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The softcover set is 49.99 at CBD

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have the New Testament as one and it is really nice! It changes it a bit so it is fresh and new for me so I've enjoyed reading the NT this way. Someday I'll get the entire Bible in reader form. :)

14. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You'd think one of the study sites would just develop a "reader mode" button.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it six volumes? You'd think a bare bones 'readers Bible' would be a shorter than a normal one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've got to have those fashionable wide margins. Probably only average 8 words across.
    :)

17. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even getting down in a more reasonable price, I draw back from the idea on having to use a Bible that is in 6 separate volumes.

Right, it would seem so!

Looks to me like those most expensive ones are kind of "collector's editions." Part of what makes it bigger, it seems from the ads, is large type (12 pt), wide margins and thicker paper. But six volumes?

18. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that is an excellent idea, Rob. I like it. (Maybe you ought to patent the idea, fast!)

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have an Esv reference bible, and like the single column format in it.

20. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I ordered and have received the KJV Reader's Bible. I have started reading it. Have finished Deuteronomy and Joshua, staring on Judges. Right now I am just reading through like reading any other book, and I concur that it increases the readability of the text. I sensed it almost immediately when I began reading. It was flowing smoothly. No chapter and verse markers along the way distracted me from the goal of reading. I would not suggest that it helps one read with greater comprehension. But it does add (and remove) something so that the reader can concentrate on reading.

The Bible is nicely done, though I would have preferred leather over the leather-like hardback. No need to get picky, since this is apparently the only KJV Reader's Bible available. I read one Psalm, and didn't find the paragraph format problematic -- but it does look odd. One other quirk I notice when I got to Joshua is that the capital letters beginning a verse was not removed when sentences did not end at the end of the verse. For example, Joshua 13:7-12 looks like this (but not bolded, which I am using to point out what I mean):

Now therefore divide this land for an inheritance unto the nine tribes, and the half tribe of Manasseh, With whom the Reubenites and the Gadites have received their inheritance, which Moses gave them, beyond Jordan eastward, even as Moses the servant of the Lord gave them; From Aroer, that is upon the bank of the river Arnon, and the city that is in the midst of the river, and all the plain of Medeba unto Dibon; And all the cities of Sihon king of the Amorites, which reigned in Heshbon, unto the border of the children of Ammon; And Gilead, and the border of the Geshurites and Maachathites, and all mount Hermon, and all Bashan unto Salcah; All the kingdom of Og in Bashan, which reigned in Ashtaroth and in Edrei, who remained of the remnant of the giants: for these did Moses smite, and cast them out.

These letters wouldn't normally be capitalized in a paragraph. No biggie, but I did find it a little distracting after I first noticed it.