1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Readings In The REB

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The REB is the Revised English Bible . It's an update of the New English Bible .A number have said that its English is the best since the Elizabethan KJV .This translation is more functionally equivalent than the TNIV, though the language is more stately .I would like to quote some of its renderings . I will start off with 1 Corinthians .

1:17 : Christ did not send me to baptize , but to proclaim the gospel ; and to do it without recourse to the skills of rhetoric , lest the cross of Christ be robbed of its effect .

2:1 : So it was , my friends , that I came to you , without any pretentions to eloquence or wisdom in declaring the truth about God .

2:7 : I speak of God's hidden wisdom , though not a wisdom belonging to this present age or to its governing powers , already in decline .

3:18 : Make no mistake about this : if there is anyone among you who fancies himself wise -- wise , I mean , by the standards of this age -- he must become a fool if he is to be truly wise .

4:19 : I shall come very soon , if it is the Lord's will ; and then I shall take the measure of these self-important people , not by what they say , but by what they can do

5:6 : Your self-satisfaction ill becomes you . Have you never heard the saying ,'A little leaven leavens all the dough'?

7:35 : In saying this I am thinking simply of your own good . I have no wish to keep you on a tight rein ; I only want you to be beyond criticism and be free from distraction in your devotion to the Lord .

9:18 : Then what is my pay ? It is the satisfaction of preaching the gospel without expense to anyone ; in other words , of waiving the rights my preaching gives me .

10:11 : All these things that happened to them were symbolic , and were recorded as a warning for us , upon whom the end of the ages has come .

13:9 : For our knowledge and our prophecy alike are partial .

14:7 : Even with inanimate things that produce sounds -- a flute , say , or a lyre -- unless their notes are distinct , how can you tell what tune is being played ?

14:9 : In the same way , if what you say in tongues yields no precise meaning , how can anyone tell what is what is being said ? You will be taliking to empty air .

14:11 : If I do not know the speaker's language , his words will be gibberish to me , and mine to him .

16:2 : Every Sunday each of you is to put aside and keep by him whatever he can afford , so that there need be no collecting when I come .

16:11 : so no one must slight him . Speed him on his way with your blessing ;for he is to join me , and I am waiting for him with our friends .

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Corinthians

Sometimes I'll quote the whole verse , and sometimes just a sentence or so .

2:14 : But thanks be to God , who continually leads us as captives in Christ's triumphal procession , and uses us to spread abroad the fragrance of the knowledge of himself !

5:4 : We groan indeed , we who are enclosed within this earthly frame

6:16 : Can there be a compact between the temple of God and idols ?

8:2 : yet in all this they have been so exuberantly happy that from the depths of their poverty they have shown themselves lavishly open-handed .

8:14 : At the moment your surplus meets their need , but one day your need may be met from their surplus .

9:6 : sow sparingly , and you will reap sparingly ; sow bountifully , and you will reap bountifully .

10:1 : I , Paul , appeal to you by the gentleness and magnanimity of Christ

10:4,5 : The weapons we wield are not merely human ; they are strong enough with God's help to demolish strongholds , We demolish sophistries and all that rears its proud head against the knowledge of God ;we compel every human thought to sureender in obedience to Christ; and we are prepared to punish any disobedience once your own obedience is complete .

10:12 : What fools they are to measure themselves on their own, to find in themselves their standard of comparison !

10:13 : As for us , our boasting will not go beyond the proper limits ; and our sphere is determined by the limit God laid down for us , which permitted us to come as far as Corinth .

11:13 : Such people are sham apostles , confidence tricksters masquerading as apostles of Christ .

11:20 : If someone tyrannizes over you , exploits you , gets you into his clutches , puts on airs , and hits you in the face , you put up with it .

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Galatians

Sometimes a complete verse , more often a phrase will be shown .

1:10 : Am I currying favor with men ?

2:6 : As for those reputed to be something (not that their importance matters to me :God does not recognize these personal distinctions)

2:14 : I saw that their conduct did not square with the truth of the gospel

3:15 : My friends , let me give you an illustration . When a man's will and testament has been duly executed , no one else can set it aside or add a codicil .

6:16,17 : All who take this principle for their guide , peace and mercy be upon them , the Israel of God ! In future let no one make trouble for me , for I bear the marks of Jesus branded on my body .

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Selections From Ephesians

1:1 : From Paul, by the will of God apostle of Christ Jesus , to God's people at Ephesus, to the faithful , incorporate in Christ Jesus .

1:6 : in order that the glory of his gracious gift , so graciously conferred on us in his Beloved, might redound to his praise.

1:11: In Christ indeed we have been given our share in the heritage , as was decreed in his design whose purpose is everywhere at work; for it was his will

1:13 : And in Christ also -- once you had heard the message of the truth, the good news of your salvation, and had believed it--in him you were stamped with the seal of the promised Holy Spirit.

3:10 : in order that now, through the church, the wisdom of God in its infinite variety might be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms.

4:14 : We are no longer to be children, tossed about by the waves and whirled around by every fresh gust of teaching, dupes of clever rogues and their deceitful schemes.

4:16 : and on him the whole body depends. Bonded and held together by every constituent joint, the whole frame grows through the proper functioning of each part, and builds itself up in love.

5:6 : Let no one deceive you with shallow arguments ; it is for these things that divine retribution falls on God's rebel subjects.

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the Revised English Version avaliable anywhere online?

Rob

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

:laugh:
    Did your mama say this to you with her hand on her hip? Sounds effeminate.
    So now God's hidden wisdom is in decline?!? Heresy!
    :laugh: I've had enough! I can't take anymore! I quit!:laugh:

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Here it is!

The infamous Burger King/ "Have it your way" verse:

8. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I have a copy of the REB. I Corinthians 2:7 reads, "I speak God's hidden wisdom, his secret purpose fromed from the very beginning to bring us to our destined glory."

The REB has a very British flavour.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops! I inadvertently copied the last part of verse 6 and ascribed it to verse seven. ( There are incidences of this kind of mistake in the KJV ).Thank you JFOX1.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sal is under the unfortunate impression that 1 Corinthians 2:1b sounds effeminate . Firstly Sal, is it possible for a woman to be effeminate? I thought only a man could be effeminate . But if you harbor the silly notion that the following is effeminate you are in a camp of one.

"... without any pretentions to eloquence or wisdom in declaring the truth about God."

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ephesians 3:10 : "in order that now, through the church, the wisdom of God in its infinite variety might be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms."( REB )

Sal apparently doesn't understand the meaning of the word 'manifold' which can be defined as of many and diverse kinds ; variety. I'm surprised that he didn't pick up on this since 'manifold' is used in the KJV.Contrary to having it our own way -- God's wisdom is rich in its variety of expression.Perhaps Sal can be helped by reading from two other translations.

NIV : "His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms,"

NLTse : "God's purpose in all this was to use the church to display his wisdom in its rich variety to all the unseen rulers and authorities in the heavenly places."

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philippians

1:8 : God knows how I long for you all with the deep yearning of Christ Jesus himself.

1:17 : the others are moved by selfish ambition and present Christ from mixed motives , meaning to cause me distress as I lie in prison.

1:28 : meeting your opponents without so much as a tremor. This is a sure sign to them that destruction is in store for them and salvation for you, a sign from God himself

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Colossians

1:11,12 : In his glorious might may he give you ample strength to meet with fortitude and patience whatever comes; and to give joyful thanks to the Father who has made you fit to share the heritage of God's people in the realm of light.

1:15,16 : He is the image of the invisible God; his is the primacy over all creation. In him everything in heaven and earth was created , not only things visible but also the invisible orders of thrones, sovereignties, authorities, and powers: the whole universe has been created through him and for him.

1:18 : He is the head of the body, the church. He is its origin, the first to return from the dead, to become in all things supreme.

1:27 :To them he chose to make known what a wealth of glory is offered to the Gentiles in this secret purpose: Christ in you, the hope of glory.

2:4,5 : I tell you this to make sure no one talks you into error by specious arguments. I may be absent in body, but in spirit I am with you, and rejoice to see your unbroken ranks, and the solid front which your faith in Christ presents.

2:18,19 : You are not to be disqualified by the decision of people who go in for self-mortification and angel-worship and access to some visionary world. Such people , bursting with the futile conceit of worldly minds, lose their hold upon the head; yet it is from the head that the whole body, with all its joints and ligaments , has its needs supplied, and thus knit together grows according to God's design.

2:23 : Such conduct may have an air of wisdom, with its forced piety, its self-mortification, and its severity to the body; but it is of no use at all in combating sensuality.

3:12 : Put on , then, garments that suit God's chosen and beloved people : compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience.

3:21 : Fathers, do not exasperate your children, in case they lose heart.

4:5 : Be wise in your dealings with outsiders, but use your opportunities to the full.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Thessalonians

2:3 : The appeal we make does not spring from delusion or sordid motive or from any attempt to deceive.

2:5 : We have never resorted to flattery, as you have cause to know; nor, as God is our witness, have our words ever been a cloak for greed.

2:7 : although as Christ's own envoys we might have made our weight felt; but we were as gentle with you as a nurse caring for her children.

#14 Rippon, May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Thessalonians

1:9 : They will suffer the penalty of eternal destruction, cut off from the presence of the Lord and the splendour of his might.

2:2 :do not suddenly lose your heads, do not be alarmed by any prophetic utterance, any pronouncement, or any letter purporting to come from us, alleging that the day of the Lord is already here.

2:6 : You know, too, about the restraining power which ensures that he will be revealed only at his appointed time

3:14 : If anyone disobeys the instructions given in my letter, single him out, and have nothing to do with him until he is ashamed of himself.

3:17 : This greeting is in my own handwriting; all genuine letters of mine bear the same signature -- Paul.

16. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Not by what I know I mean verses what you would like to tell others I mean.
    Let's define effeminate and see:
    Main Entry: 1ef·fem·i·nate [​IMG] Pronunciation: \-nət\ Function: adjective Etymology: Middle English, from Latin effeminatus, from past participle of effeminare to make effeminate, from ex- + femina woman — more at feminine Date: 15th century 1 : having feminine qualities untypical of a man : not manly in appearance or manner 2 : marked by an unbecoming delicacy or overrefinement <effeminate art> <an effeminate civilization>
    Seems any woman can fall under m-w.com's definition. I see no singularity as to ascribe effeminancy to a man.
    Can't be, God has never left me nor forsaken me and He never will, so if by that you mean I am alone, at least God is with me so I could not ever be alone.:godisgood:

I usually never see a man using the vernacular "pretentions to eloquence" except it be considered effeminance on the behalf of that man. Of course this verbage may be used by the elite intellectualist, I find it rather obscure to the simple and unlearned which your "camp", ( one filled with "many"), insists the Bible be written.:D :p

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Manifold carries with it the indication of being interconnected to serve a common purpose to acheive the same outcome. Variety indicates only a connection to the same origen but in diversity of outcomes.

A manifold wisdom would be directly connected to it's source and without any contradiction to the harmony associated to that source. While variety might be viewed in the same way, it's purpose would fit into the modifications apporpiated by those who would accept the alteraions to accomodate their likings and opinions. This variety would only serve the purpose of the receiver of that wisodm verses the intent of the broadcaster of that wisdom. God sends His word to affect the hearer, not so that hearer might modify it's reception to fit his liking. This variety makes for a Burger King mentality when applied to the wisodm of God and it's purpose to glorify God, not man's abilities to modify it's purpose.
    I'm not surprised at your simplicity in definig a word found in the KJB verses the complexity it rather serves to fit every pure purpose of God in His word being alive. Your limited definition lacks wisdom in applied science to the verbage of our English language, thus your view kills the word of God by the letter of the law.
    I understand it well enough to contradict and expose the fallacies associated with the other vrersions you have to offer:

Eph 3:9And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
    Eph 3:10To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,Eph 3:11According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:

Seems a great contradiction between the NIV and the Bible: The NIV expresses only "rulers and authorities" receive this wisdom "through the church" and thereby would place those rulers and authorities into a heavenly realm. If that's NOT catholocism it doesn't exist!

The KJB perfectly ascribes the wisdom to the church FROM the heavenly principalities and powers .

That would be the ultimate purpose of God so that we may know Him in the power of His ressurection!

This example isn't either inline/ manifold with the word of God It indicates the same thing: the church dictating to the rulers and authorites rather than the actual process being that this wisdom comes from above to the church, and not the church to the rulers and authorites in heavenly places. The difference is the church doesn't just display wisdom, it APPLIES IT!:godisgood:

18. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Just like those who promote MV's for their selfish ambition and would place those who hold to the KJB impirsoned by the "KJVO" labeling process?:laugh:

Put me in PRISON! For the Lord's honour and glory and not man's!:godisgood:

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I might suggest , Rippon, that you present this REB in a parallel format with the KJB, verse to verse, to save others time in comparing the two. Obviously this wouldn't be your intent to help but the one cause you have as to promote the REB.

Why we stand on the KJB verses the REB is exactly the reasoning process one is presented by its obvious motive to promote the church of Rome.:wavey:

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

With all respect to everyone, Rippon (and TCGreek has done the same, as well) has previously posted several times a number of verses from a number of different versions of Scripture, from both the OT and the NT.

Whether or not one particularly likes the Revised English Bible (and I don't care for it) is no reason to attempt to impugn it (nor to impugn Rippon) by implying it (and he) is (making) an attempt "to promote the church of Rome".

Ed