Ready for Lent?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Feb 13, 2018.

1. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The average Baptist is a plain, straight thinking person. He may be a great scholar, or a hod carrier, but, in religion, he takes on the complexion and manners of the New Testament. He believes in simplicity. He likes plain preaching and simple worship. If the choir, by any machination of the devil, falls under the lead of any professional musician and is turned to singing tunes with the delirium tremens, the average Baptist is grieved, and solaces his soul by singing 'How Firm a Foundation' or 'Amazing Grace'...The average Baptist takes no stock of Easter, and the like, not that he does not believe in the resurrection; not that people may not observe days; but, like Paul, he is skittish of these extras and prefers the plain, old, level Jordan road, with a steady incline up, all the way till it reaches the city of God." J. B. Gambrell, from The Baptist Standard, May 1907

In the over one hundred years since Gambrell wrote this, the "average" Baptist may have changed just a "little" bit.

[Note: James Bruton Gambrell (1841-1921) was born in South Carolina, raised in Mississippi, lived in Georgia, and later came to Texas. He was a Southern Baptist pastor, educator, and denominational leader; editor of the "Baptist Record" 14 years; President of Mercer University; editor of "The Baptist Standard"; and President of the Southern Baptist Convention 1917-1921.]

2. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice article, in my opinion.

Why I Encourage People Not to Observe Lent, by Bart Barber
    [Note: Bart Barber is an Arkansas native, and since 1999 pastor of First Baptist in Farmersville, Texas. He has a PhD in Church History from Southwestern Seminary, for which he wrote a very interesting dissertation about a denominational split among Arkansas Baptists in 1902 ("The Bogard Schism: an Arkansas Baptist Agrarian Revolt").]

3. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to mention....there are many brothers and sisters like myself that have been "taken out of Rome" by the Grace of God and it makes us cringe to hear the words like "lent". I understand, many Baptists and Evangelicals have not gone through the darkness that is "false religion", but let me help everyone out. Show your brother kindness and gentleness...do not entice them to go back to things that the Lord delivered them from.

4. AGTG New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forget lent, try giving up apostasy for Jesus.

5. AGTG New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really, what's going on here is more insidious than that. Catholicism, like all the cults of Mystery Babylon, operate as subversives. They creep into places where genuine Christians are to pervert and corrupt truth. If Paul was running this forum, this thread wouldn't have gotten past the first post. Additionally, the people pushing this garbage would be banned as they clearly have no regard for the truth.

Christianity is inclusive when it comes to all people, but exclusive in its adherence to true doctrine. All are invited, but only if they're humble enough to submit to the simple truths of God's word.

6. AGTG New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 7
    15 "Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves.

Matthew 10

16 "Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves.

Luke 10
    3 Go; behold, I send you out as lambs in the midst of wolves.

Acts 20
    29 I know that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock;

John 10

11 "I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.
    12 "He who is a hired hand, and not a shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them.
    13 "He flees because he is a hired hand and is not concerned about the sheep.

7. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm ready for lent as I'll ever be for any of that RCC, non-Scriptural horse feathers.

8. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lent was mentioned in the service I attended this AM.
    The emphasis was on what would replace the activity being given up.

9. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 9:14-15
    14 Then the disciples of John *came to Him, asking, “Why do we and the Pharisees fast, but Your disciples do not fast?” 15 And Jesus said to them, “The attendants of the bridegroom cannot mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them, can they? But the days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast."

Jesus expects us to engage in the regular disciple of fasting, when physically possible. Lent is a period of intentional fasting and reflection. Those who want to participate in the Lenten discipline can do it in a way that honors Christ. Those that condemn them have no standing to do so before Christ.

10. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Corinthians 6:14-18 Be you not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship has righteousness with unrighteousness? and what partnership has light with darkness?
    And what harmony has Christ with Belial? or what part has he that believes with an infidel?
    And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? for you are the temple of the living God; as God has said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    Therefore come out from among them, and be you separate, says the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
    And will be a Father unto you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.

Fasting is wonderful

Partnering with a false religion is evil.

11. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mrs. O.S. Hawkins' "Lenten Journey" on the SBC's North American Mission Board website:

namb.net/flourish-blog/lenten-journey

"A funny thing happened to me on the way to Easter several years ago... For some reason I found myself thinking about Lent, the forty day period from Ash Wednesday to Easter, as designated on the church calendar....I reconnected with a friend from a liturgical background who proved to be a valuable resource for all things Lent. Her encouragement then and even today has pushed me to pursue and eagerly anticipate this forty day period....Lent is a word, a term describing a period of prayer, fasting and repentance and that is most definitely in the Bible! The Lenten journey is also characterized by sacrificial giving and serving. If your purpose in Lent is to draw closer to Jesus and recognize His sacrifice in a fresh way, then you are spot on. If you are just trying to fast something you enjoy eating or drinking for forty days, not so much. It’s not too late to join the pilgrimage! ...Engage the Lenten season in a fresh way. Whatever you do, I assure you of this - your Easter will never be the same."

12. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission too:

erlc.com/resource-library/articles/fasting-and-feasting-during-lent

"The Lenten season begins today. Lent is a time when many, even within the Protestant tradition, fast from various food or habits for 40 to 46 days. For some of us, it might serve as an opportunity to fast from social media or the news....this season, let us feast on: Jesus who is the bread of life (Matt. 4:4; Jn. 6:35; Jn. 6:48-58) and God’s Word, breathed out by him, which gives knowledge, wisdom and life (Psalm 1:2; 2 Tim. 3:16). Lent can easily pass without much thought for some of us or be a confusing religious tradition for others. If you’re interested, this interview with Justin Taylor, co-author of The Final Days of Jesus, can help you understand why many remember and partake in Lent this season—and may even persuade you to do the same."

13. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who said anything about converting to another belief system?

Do you realize that Roman Catholics and Buddhists pray? Should we then avoid praying? Obviously not.

14. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's quite the illogical jump. Do Buddhists celebrate lent?

15. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's a logical comparison.

Your position: Catholics celebrate Lent so Christians should not, because "[p]artnering with a false religion is evil."

I pointed out that participating in Lent does not require conversion to any other belief system.

Then I made a comparison of your "logic" that participating in Lent (a spiritual practice) involves partnering with a false religion by noting that the spiritual practice of prayer is common to Catholics and Buddhists, drawing the absurd conclusion (based on your reasoning) that therefore Christians should avoid prayer.

There certainly is an illogical jump there, but its your jump not mine.

16. rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fasting is a spiritual practice. Lent is a particular form of fasting that purports to be a spiritual practice.

For example:

17. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So basically what I read here is, "Nuh uh". Got it.

Brother, if you want to join in the Catholic Tradition of Lent, go ahead. But I will not subject myself, nor will I promote, the made-up traditions of the Roman Catholic Cult. If (when) I fast it is because I've spent time in prayer and God's Word and the Spirit moved on me to fast. Or I purposed with the Lord that I would fast and draw closer to Him. To "afflict myself" as an offertory sacrifice to be pleasing to God spits in the Face of our Savior.

18. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously, you don't. I can explain it to you, but I can't make you understand it. You have the choice not to accept whatever truth I put in front of you.

Thank you for the blanket condemnation. Nobody is spitting in the face of Jesus despite your emotional rant.

19. JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With these statements it is obvious you have no idea why Roman Catholics celebrate "Lent" and what their intentions are.

20. Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lenten (the word is derived from "spring season") is a 40-day fast of preparation for the resurrection observance. All kinds of Christian faith traditions observe it, including many evangelical churches. One does not have to follow the faith and order of the Roman Catholic church to observe Lent. Nor should anyone.