1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Really, REALLY struggling with calvinism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Emily25069, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Rippon, I had not considered a connection to the Old Testament. Peter was the Apostle to the Jews, and would have used language with which they would have been familiar. That helps to explain it.

peace to you:praise:

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

1: But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction

It plainly say false teachers among you who deny being bought by the Lord.
    All power was given unto Jesus so it was talking about Jesus. I don't blame you for running back in the OT but it will not do you any good for He was talking to the false teachers of that day and not under the Law.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "By all accounts" . Everyone does not believe that Bob -- so your use of all refers to a limited number of folks . Please take your John Calvin bashing to a specifically Calvin-bashing thread . I think a number of you have burned the man from Geneva too much for his non-citizen role in Servetus' death . Even Arminius himself ( who loved the works of Calvin ) would be shocked at all the animosity . Deal with biblical texts and don't drag other things along in your strained interpretations .

#303 Rippon, Jun 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2006
  4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

By who's account?

Also, are you a moderator?

#304 Brother Bob, Jun 26, 2006
  5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said by all accounts . I said that was false and in the process showed you that all sometimes does not mean each and every person . I think I have repeated myself enough for most to understand .

No , I am not a mod . But the topic is about Calvinism -- not some drivel about Calvin being a killer . Stay focused on the thread's topic .

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

During one three year period when Calvin’s control was uncontested in Geneva, at least 58 people were executed for religious reasons

Calvin burned at the stake the Spanish refugee Michael Servetus for the Spaniard’s rejection of the Trinity.

#306 Brother Bob, Jun 26, 2006
  7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This thread has strayed off topic, and also has already 31 pages to it. It is time for it to close.
    DHK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.