1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Really saved or just anxious for your soul?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Soulman, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Philippians 2:12
    Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

How about the people in dire situations? Titanic for example. How many of those cried out to God? I am sure they were sincere but was it just because they knew they were about to die? If rescued how many would continue to seek God or return to their old life after disaster is avoided. Isn't true conversion life changing?

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

We don't know, and neither can we speculate, or pretend to play the part of God. The Bible clearly says "The Lord knows them that are His."
    It also says:
    "The heart is deceitful above all things and desperatley wicked, who can know it."
    When it comes to a "death-bed" decision for Christ, only God knows which decisions are truly sincere and which are not. We can never be absolutely sure until we reach heaven. We can only hope that that decision that was made was a genuine one.
    DHK

3. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Thanks DHK!
    Of course you are quite right. We are not the judges of anothers salvation.

However, I was seeking to prick the hearts of people and warn them of frivilous professions. I knock doors and have a nursing home ministry. I have had death bed conversions and they can be quite moving. When I knock doors I often get a response that I am saved but don't need church. I caution that attitude. If we really get saved we would have a desire to learn of Him that saved us. We would develop a desire to feed on God's word. God did say we would know them by their fruits. I am not using that verse to judge ones salvation, only to make people self examine themselves and to mabey search the scriptires.

Philippians 4:8
    Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

4. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

I know what I am about to reveal is TERRIBLE. But when I was a LOT younger, some JW came to my door and I didn't want any part of them. So I asked them if they wanted to come in and have a beer and they left. I was relieved!!! But that wicked behavior is behind me.

I agree with DHK, God KNOWS!!!!!! You cannot fool Him.

5. Soulman

Soulman New Member

LorrieGrace: I agree with DHK, God KNOWS!!!!!! You cannot fool Him.

This thread was not started to judge others salvation. Nor an attempt to fool God, which is impossible. It was started so we could judge ourselves. Was your conversion true? Are you lying to yourself?

Religious people go to hell all day long. People in good churches go to hell that were faithful attenders.

The bible teaches that we can know for sure(about ourselves). I am just stressing the very real fact that if you are not fellowshipping with God's people, reading the bible, serving in some way or attending church, there could be a problem. Could be backslidden or unsaved. Not everyone who says Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven.

Just because someone prays a prayer of salvation does not necessarily make them saved. I am not judging. I ask that we all judge ourselves .

6. MTA

MTA New Member

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Salvation is a know-so experience. In other words, I can tell give you a time and a place when I was saved by God's grace. I am not necessarily talking about a specific date or minute, although some folks do remember it to that level of detail, but I am talking about absolutely knowing when God saved me from my lost condition and gave me the assurance in my heart that I belonged to Him.

Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:.

I am convinced that anyone truly saved has such a memory for to truly know that you are saved, you must have first realized you were lost.

7. graceb2u

graceb2u New Member

I agree Soulman. There are alot of people in churches that are not saved. There are alot of people who claim to be Christians. But I truly believe that God only knows the heart. So I will not judge them.
    My personal experience is that when I have gone astray the Lord has corrected me. Because whom he loves he corrects. So I have known when I have backslidden or gotten far away from him. He will punish me and has. I am so thankful for this. Because in order to know and learn I need to be corrected by Him. So if I become lax in any area, I hope that the Lord would correct me so I could become more Christ-like.

8. Soulman

Soulman New Member

This is why it is so important as soul winners that we take our responsibility seriously. So many baby christians are left on the door step. As any baby, if not fed will starve. We need to make sure we follow up and get these new converts into church where they can be dicipled and scripturally baptized. Alot of soul winners are inept in this area. The intent is good, but people need our time investment.

9. november_echo

november_echo New Member

Sir what do we mean when we say anxious for the soul? When we are being asked "are u really saved or just anxious for ur soul?" do we mean "are u saved or just pretending to be?"... or "are u really saved or just worried what others may say?"...
    first point: I believe that there is no argument there whatever that means if u are a real Christian... when we got saved, our life becomes a living testimony and therefore we say that we are truly saved because we want to testify that Jesus Christ really saves... most often we say these phrase when we are witnessing for Jesus Christ...
    2nd point: people who are not really saved are the one who are anxious for their souls to the point that they were not genuinely saved...
    3rd point : when we become anxious of our souls, we are not really saved... because i believe that there is an assurance imputed in our hearts from the time that we have received Jesus Christ genuinely in our hearts to our Saviour and Lord...

Really saved: Yes! if you have believed on Jesus Christ...
    Anxious for the soul: No! You are just being doubtful what Jesus Christ can do for you referring on what He has done on the Cross... God is not the author of confusion.

10. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by:november_echo Sir what do we mean when we say anxious for the soul?

What I mean is are you saved or did you just cry out to God in the moment? If delivered from your calamity would you still want God as part of your life?

How many are genuinely deceived into thinking they are saved by praying a prayer?

I think too many people are covering their bases. I run across people all the time that say they are saved and bear no fruit. They do not need church and will only discuss Christ on the surface, yet claim salvation. Others facing life threatening illness or situations cry out to God only to discard him after the emergency is over.

These are clouds without water. The bible says you will know them by their fruits. I judge no mans salvation. It is imperitive that you judge your own. A person can go to church and even be a teacher and still go to hell.

How many empty suits will there be in the pews after the rapture? Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. The attitude today is flippant twards God.

A child of God WILL produce fruit. Not as a condition of salvation but as a result of it. We can backslide from time to time, but God will bring us back or bring us home.

11. november_echo

november_echo New Member

Yes... thank you sir for the elaboration... Glory to God on that...

I believe that you are right when u said that you can know Christians by their fruits... Not only to bear fruit but that the fruit should remain and the same fruit should also bear fruit...

MAy God bless you sir w all of thy fruitful life...

12. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Death bed type professions are possible. The Bible gives one example in the thief on the cross but, and this is important, it ONLY gives ONE example. A lot of people treat it as a likely, common, and reasonable possibility when in actuality it is quite rare.

13. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Artimaes: Death bed type professions are possible.

I work in a hospital and one of my duties is to take folks to the morgue on third shift. I am usually alerted prior to their demise that I should prepare.

A couple of things occur. 1. God has blessed me with the honor of leading some of these folks to Christ before the end as the thief on the cross was. 2. Folks are USUALLY drugged to the point they do not regain conciousness prior to death. If they do they are usually pretty out of it.

You are right Artimaeus. Some do find salvation in the end. Most do not.

I have told people that say they will just wait and get saved in the end, that they don't know what tomorrow brings. Often times your choice is gone well before death occurs.(due to hospital, hospice comfort measures.) Many times drugs bring on dimentia, limiting a persons ability to make the simplist decisions or understand that a decision needs to be made.

We must encourage people that today is the day of salvation! We never know what tomorrow has in store for us.

14. superdave

superdave New Member

Heard a relevant quote on the subject in church this morning.

-A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God

That being said, I do believe that the lack of time in ones life to demonstrate fruit does not preclude true salvation, the thief on the cross never was baptized, never went "soul-winning", never got to go out and buy that suit so he would start looking spiritual at church, but by the very testimony of Christ, he was regenerate. My faith was genuine from the moment that I trusted in Christ to reconcile myeself to God, the fruit that follows is merely affirmation of the underlying faith. Without the presence of fruit, one has to wonder about their own condition, but the presence of works does not produce a guarantee that true faith exists.

15. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Very true Superdave,
    There are those saved at the very end that have no time for works. There are also some very moral people unsaved that do alot of good. We must all work out our own salvation to be sure. It shouls never be taken for granted.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good discussion. Salvation is based on a conscious repentance from sin and turning in faith to Christ (two sides of same coin).

Many people hear Gospel preaching and "believe". But will THAT faith save? Such faith must be tied to repentance or the person will simply remain in anxiety and "believe" like the demons do, who likewise tremble (are anxious).

17. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I agree Dr. Bob. It is becomming a rarity to see true repentance in a person. Now a days it takes years to overcome the simplist habits because we just don't want to let go. I remember when a person would get saved and their whole life was changed. I think we live in an age that just doesn't take God as seriously as we once did.

18. David Mark

David Mark New Member

There must be a narrow place between: Be anxious for nothing and Work out your own salvation in fear and trembling.

19. David Mark

David Mark New Member

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's "out work" your salvation (demonstrate BY your changed life that you truly ARE regenerated).

Don't get confused by 1611 language. English evolves.